Moparts

brake pedal

Posted By: plymguy

brake pedal - 09/14/12 11:27 PM

My '67 Fury brake pedal has some free play and I am having difficulty adjusting the stoplight switch so the brake lights work properly. As it is now, I have to lift the back of the pedal up with my foot to make the lights go off. My other '67 Fury does not have this problem and I don't see any way to adjust this play. Both cars are manual drum brakes. Any help here would be great. Thanks.
John
Posted By: stumpy

Re: brake pedal - 09/14/12 11:37 PM

Adjust the brakes. That usually brings the pedal back up.

Re: brake pedal - 09/14/12 11:43 PM

Actually the brakes are almost new and have been adjusted. The pedal does not go down that far when I step on it. The play is evident when the brakes are released and amounts to about an inch to an inch and a half at the top.
John
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: brake pedal - 09/15/12 01:54 AM

When you get up under there is there any part or adjustment that is visually different between the two that you can see. Are the two '67 Furys' identical? Would a longer pushrod or the MP adjustable pushrod take care of it?

Re: brake pedal - 09/15/12 04:05 AM

Rapid Robert, Both cars have the same brake system, non power brake and 4 way drum. I do not see any type of adjustment for the pedal. I am unfamilar with the MP adjustible master cylinder rod that you mentioned but it sounds like this could be an improvement. Thanks for the info.
John R
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: brake pedal - 09/15/12 05:10 AM

Nothing is jumping out at you that needs to be changed between the two? If it looks like a longer pushrod will take care of it the MP # is P4510640. www.classicindustries.com has it along with a very interesting/comprehensive Mopar catalogue which they will send for free when you buy something and you can see what they have online. Not cheap $79.99. Probably www.summitracing.com has it also & a little cheaper but check the shipping/handling on both as they can get you there. If your handy with taps/dies I wouldn't be afraid to fab one up just use good material
Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: brake pedal - 09/15/12 01:04 PM

All mopars have a slotted bracket that mounts the switch. Loosen the bolt and adjust the switch closer to the rod. Assuming the switch is working properly. John.

Re: brake pedal - 09/15/12 02:59 PM

Thank you for all of the input. It is most helpful.
John
© 2024 Moparts Forums