Moparts

I've got gas.

Posted By: new bee

I've got gas. - 09/08/12 09:19 PM

Yup, I have gas. I pull my '69 Super Bee into the garage, shut it off, and go inside. Within a few minutes, the house has a faint smell of raw gas, which is stronger in the garage (the garage is on the same level as the main floor, right next to the kitchen).
The car is all stock, well tuned, and has no leaks. Is this common? Or, is there something going on needing attention?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: I've got gas. - 09/08/12 09:57 PM

I'd go from one end to the other on the fuel system looking for stains caused by fuel leakage. I'd also pull the air cleaner and see if fuel was leaking into the carb after shut down.
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: I've got gas. - 09/08/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

I'd go from one end to the other on the fuel system looking for stains caused by fuel leakage. I'd also pull the air cleaner and see if fuel was leaking into the carb after shut down.

yep,sniff you oil ,when it's unusal i would be out there looking while fresh

Re: I've got gas. - 09/08/12 10:14 PM

There are no gas leaks along the fuel system. I'll have to check the carb for leakage, though I would be surprised if that was the source. It has been recently restored by Scott (the same who does all the hemi carbs). Perhaps the fuel is boiling?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 12:24 AM

Quote:

Perhaps the fuel is boiling?

Bingo, winner, winner, chicken dinner Let us know what you find

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 12:52 AM

thing is, I have the carb on spacers (about .25") to eliminate this problem.
Posted By: roe

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 02:52 AM

Quote:

thing is, I have the carb on spacers (about .25") to eliminate this problem.

What material? Wood and phenolic are supposed to be best. Aluminum is not as good

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 03:36 AM

metal
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 04:03 AM

Metal spacer will still transfers engine heat to the carb. Stay with the car for a few minutes after a hot shutdown, you may be able to hear the fuel boiling in the carb bowl.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 06:16 AM

How is a metal spacer supposed to do anything? The carb is metal, the intake is metal. They still heat up the same. Get yourself a phenolic spacer.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 02:57 PM

Got a NG water heater in the garage?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 05:18 PM

Quote:

How is a metal spacer supposed to do anything? The carb is metal, the intake is metal. They still heat up the same. Get yourself a phenolic spacer.

Exactly!!! metal spacer??? Don't tell me it's one of those cool carb spacer.

If the fuel is not boiling then I would have to say your fuel tank is not vented properly.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 05:29 PM

Yep, I'd be looking at the tank vents.

New Bee-----by chance is the fuel tank pretty full?
Many of these tanks have a habit of 'venting' raw fuel when really full!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 06:21 PM

The repro sending units have a return line port. There not a factory return line in early cars and most just get left with the plug on them.

I did that with the red cap plug that came with the sender. In about a year the cap started leaking. I don't think it's fuel rated and it was hard as a rock.

Does it smell more if the tank is full?

You could do a quick look in there with a flashlight.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 07:38 PM

Your gonna get it from BOTH the carb and the tank
vent... the problem is the fuel... with alky in it
(all of it does) it boils at a lower temp and generates
more vapor... see if you can find a small charcoal
filter for the tank vent and isolate the carb with
a non metallic spacer
Posted By: roe

Re: I've got gas. - 09/09/12 07:47 PM

Where do you get the charcoal canisters? I'm in a similar boat, way to strong fuel fumes in my garage after parking. But I still need to go thru and verify my vent tubes are clear. No fluid leaks found for me either.
Posted By: warpspeed

Re: I've got gas. - 09/10/12 05:27 PM

Good thread. I bet alot of people have this same problem. I know I do too. My 440 71 has this problem even though I have a insulating spacer on it to keep the temperature down on the carb. Still smell gas, but there are no leaks to be seen.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: I've got gas. - 09/10/12 06:40 PM

Take Bean-O now or people around you will leave.

MLR426
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: I've got gas. - 09/10/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

Good thread. I bet alot of people have this same problem. I know I do too. My 440 71 has this problem even though I have a insulating spacer on it to keep the temperature down on the carb. Still smell gas, but there are no leaks to be seen.

The spacer is only slowing the process , there is so much heat coming off the intake the ethanol in the fuel is still going to boil .
Posted By: red 69 runner

Re: I've got gas. - 09/23/12 10:06 PM

I got a cool carb spacer and it solved the probelem,also the car starts right up after sitting 15 or 20 minutes.before the cool carb i would have to crank and crank like it was flooded.
© 2024 Moparts Forums