Moparts

Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy?

Posted By: furyous3

Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 01:51 AM

Put a Comp XE275 cam in my 496 stroker and at idle it is smooth and fairly quiet. but at rpm around 2500 on up the lifters begin a light clatter. It is kind of annoying but does not appear to be getting worse, just steady. I also have beehive springs. Is this lifter noise typical of the XE cam series?
Posted By: patrick

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 01:57 AM

my old 360 I put an XE262 was the opposite-- a little clackity at idle, but quiet at RPM.
Posted By: mjb765

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 02:03 AM

My XE274 is a little noisey at idle, but better at higher RPM.

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 02:09 AM

Hmmmmm, I put a half turn on the rocker adjusters. Would another quarter turn help?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 02:16 AM

Quote:

Would another quarter turn help?

I would try it but I'd go back if it made no difference
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 02:24 AM

My Dart's XE274 has always been noisy, been in the car for 8 years now. Hasn't seemed to hurt anything. If anything I get a lot of compliments on how good it sounds...?
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 02:41 AM

XE profiles have aggressive lobe ramps and noise is common at idle and most are noisey no matter what rpm. What are your installed spring pressures open and closed ? With the 496 stroker why was a XE profile selected ? Was it cost versus a tight lash roller combo ? And no another 1/4 turn will not change anything with the lifter noise, it's all about valve train control with pressures and heavy valve trains like 3/8 heavy stem valves etc..cause control issues with aggressive cam profiles especially at higher rpm's.

MLR426
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 02:59 AM

Yes they are noisy , precious setting of the preload seems to work on the one I did earlier this year. If I had to do it over again I would have just used a solid .

I don't think it's noisy lifter , especially since they are under preload pressure always, it more the valves slamming closed ???

The one I did also didn't use Comp lifters , first time around yes and that one started to lose a lobe , or it was just really noisy with the comp lifters that it sounded like something real bad was happening , anyway a custom Grind from Dwayne porter , maybe it didn't have as aggressive a ramp as the XE , and a set of Crower Cam saver lifters along with the time I spent setting prelaod , it was hardly noticeable last time I had my head under the hood of the car it was installed in .
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/08/12 03:06 AM

They are a bit 'clackity' in Mopars. My best guess as to why is that they are essentially a 'scaled up' .904 based on profiles obviously designed for the much more popular SBC which has Much Lighter valvetrain mass. Weigh the valves, lifters, pushrods, springs and retainers side by side and it's pretty easy to figure out where the clatter from the faster ramps is coming from.
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/09/12 05:25 AM

mines a bit clackety at idle
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/09/12 07:11 PM

My XE-275-HL was like a sewing machine at idle, but didn't hear any noise over the exhaust at RPM
Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/09/12 09:38 PM

The XE268 in my 383 is noisy when it gets warmed up. Stock rocker set up.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/09/12 10:50 PM

I've measured and remeasured everything up top on the last 440 build with the XE cam and it still has a touch of valvetrain noise at hot idle...
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/09/12 11:26 PM

Quote:

I've measured and remeasured everything up top on the last 440 build with the XE cam and it still has a touch of valvetrain noise at hot idle...

I did the same on a XE268H in a 360 that was in my old dually a little clatter at hot idle too
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/09/12 11:28 PM

The XE268 in my 360 is fairly quiet actually. You can hear a very slight clacking with the hood open but it's barely noticeable and not annoying at all. I did have the pre-load checked and corrected on that motor though.

The fast-ramp Lunati Voodoo in my 400 however, sounds like a broken sewing machine and I hate it.

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/10/12 02:39 AM

I spoke with the builder and he put @.20 (1/2 turn) on it. We used beehive springs, don't know the seat and nose pressure. I drove it all over town yesterday and on the freeway with no concerns about performance but at freeway speeds the lifter noise is kinda buzzy. At idle it seems quiet and fine, So I'll just get used to it or maybe put some cast valve covers on it to absord the noise.

Thanks for the responses.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/10/12 06:33 AM

The Xe line has always had that issue,I've seen it since they were released. The good news is you can have your cake and eat it to.If you want noise issues why not just put a solid in it,but that may be quieter and make more power everywhere.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/10/12 01:30 PM

Quote:

The Xe line has always had that issue,I've seen it since they were released. The good news is you can have your cake and eat it to.If you want noise issues why not just put a solid in it,but that may be quieter and make more power everywhere.

Yes a solid would have been a better choice and it would make more power. I would have a tight lash solid cam ground. Goldmember you need to enlarge that sig PIC My favorite..

MLR426
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Are Comp XE Cam profiles noisy? - 09/10/12 01:35 PM

Quote:

I spoke with the builder and he put @.20 (1/2 turn) on it. We used beehive springs, don't know the seat and nose pressure. I drove it all over town yesterday and on the freeway with no concerns about performance but at freeway speeds the lifter noise is kinda buzzy. At idle it seems quiet and fine, So I'll just get used to it or maybe put some cast valve covers on it to absord the noise.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm going to ASSuME that is a TYPO , a 1/2 turn wouldn't be .20, maybe .020 ....
© 2024 Moparts Forums