Moparts

Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them?

Posted By: Kern Dog

Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 05:33 AM

I've read about these in Mopar Muscle and MCG this month. This seems like a viable alternative to the dreaded Orange box.
The write-up in MM showed a comparison between the Revonator, a parts store Wells generic box, a functioning orange box ( Where the heck did they find one?) and a chrome box. The results were pretty impressive.
The Rev box showed HUGE gains between 3800 and 5000 rpms compared to the Wells and orange box. I actually have a generic parts store box in the Charger and the idea of gaining 50+ horsepower this easily is pretty tempting. I'm going to check pricing.
Posted By: macmic87

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 12:15 PM

http://www.thertgarage.com/products.html

have been giving this thoughts myself.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 12:42 PM

I will stay with my MSD 6AL...
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 12:45 PM

Allot of good info here:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0&fpart=1
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

I've read about these in Mopar Muscle and MCG this month. This seems like a viable alternative to the dreaded Orange box.
The write-up in MM showed a comparison between the Revonator, a parts store Wells generic box, a functioning orange box ( Where the heck did they find one?) and a chrome box. The results were pretty impressive.
The Rev box showed HUGE gains between 3800 and 5000 rpms compared to the Wells and orange box. I actually have a generic parts store box in the Charger and the idea of gaining 50+ horsepower this easily is pretty tempting. I'm going to check pricing.

I haven't read either article but 50hp? Do you REALLY think you can bolt on a different box and get a 50hp increase on your street car? ....I'll save you the effort: it ain't gonna happen.

Dave
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 03:46 PM

50 hp?comom! lets see the dyno test.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 03:50 PM

I'm running one. Maybe the first one overseas sold ( it has the number 20 serial on it ) got it on the email subscription first offer.

I'M PLENTY HAPPY WITH IT. My engine revs like the wind like never befor, without miss a beat.

I had FBO A688 set ( coil, ECU and everything )untill his ECU failed. I mounted initially the Rev-N-Nator with the FBO coil what it was still working. Troy from RT garage told me on their test the FBO coil didn't match very well with their ECU. After a week, I can say with facts this statement is true. My car began to miss beats and get hard starting. Installed a MSD Blaster 2 coil I had around and WROOOM, everything back to the pleasure of normal again... but over the stock normal LOL

I can't talk against an MSD since I never have tried an MSD Module, but against ALL THE REST MODULES I HAVE USED ( MP Orange and Chromed, FBO and the one what Rick Eherenberg sells ) THIS IS THE BEST I HAVE USED and the "upstep" is TOTALLY NOTICEABLE.

and IN A PLUG AND PLAY JOB keeping my Mopar as Mopar on everything

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 03:56 PM

I (painfully) reread most of the old thread. My observations;

- Yes you could get a 40hp increase (maybe) on a 13.1 to 1 race engine over a stock box...of course nobody with such an engine uses a stock box so that's a little misleading IMO.

- Another member posted a 5hp increase over his MSD6Al - I can believe that.

- Dave Dudek got a 16rwhp increase over a stock orange box on his Purestock Hemi 'Bee. I'm assuming that Mr. D doesn't intend to field a loser so I expect his engine to be in the 600hp (gross flywheel) range

All that having been said, there is no way that you'll see anywhere near 50hp bolting a Rev-n-ator in place of a functioning factory box on your basic street engine.

I don't think it's a bad product; in fact I'm thinking of getting one for my Purestock 440-6 'Bee but I don't expect to see any huge gains...maybe 5-10hp which would be just fine.

Dave
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 05:11 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how people feel the need to bash others.
If anybody feels my testing was misleading I apologize ,that was not my intentions .
For those of you that don't know,I originally started testing the ignition boxes with a pump gas 440. That engine Had a valve head come off and take a piston and its cylinder out.

After that,I pulled the engine out of my bracket race car so I could do some more testing.
The only reason I tested a stock type ignition box was because I had heard people say they would run as well as anything else available in a post on here.
To try and please all the people that are curious,I am getting a VERY mild 360 ready to show how it responds.
But yes,I do know racers that either have,or do run the MP boxes on bracket cars,that is what the testing was aimed at.
Hopefully this will clear things up a little.
Keith

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 05:24 PM

Quote:

If anybody feels my testing was misleading I apologize ,that was not my intentions .
For those of you that don't know,I originally started testing the ignition boxes with a pump gas 440. That engine Had a valve head come off and take a piston and its cylinder out.

After that,I pulled the engine out of my bracket race car so I could do some more testing.
The only reason I tested a stock type ignition box was because I had heard people say they would run as well as anything else available in a post on here.
To try and please all the people that are curious,I am getting a VERY mild 360 ready to show how it responds.
But yes,I do know racers that either have,or do run the MP boxes on bracket cars,that is what the testing was aimed at.
Hopefully this will clear things up a little.
Keith

I haven't bashed anyone, least of all you. The "misleading" part I'm refering to is the 40 and 50hp increase claims; based on all the data you and others have posted, it is (IMO) misleading to suggest that a typical street motor will see those gains simply by plugging in one of these boxes.

I am not suggesting that these aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread: as I said, I will probably buy one BUT I am a bit of a realist and I don't need to be a rocket scientist or own a Dyno to KNOW that I won't be getting any "50+ hp gain" by plugging in one of these wonderboxes.

The test that the manufacturer posted showing a 12hp increase on a stock 340, a 0.7 increase over a MSD7AL and a 2.7hp increase over an MSD6AL are very believable IMO as are the independent results noted by Dave Dudek. DD claims a 16hp increase over a stock box on what I assume to be a 600hp purestock Hemi; makes sense to me. As my motor is a 450hp motor and doesn't have the rev range that the Hemi has, I would expect much more moderate gains in the 5-10hp range.

I'm not questioning you, your honesty or your results; I just think people need to be realistic in interpreting them and how swapping the box might affect their particular setup.

Dave

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 05:33 PM

I totally agree people need to be realistic about the gains.
Sorry I looks some of your comments as bashing,but too much of that goes on around here.
Ill let you know how it does,good or bad,on the stock-ish 360
Keith
Posted By: 300maximilien

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 05:46 PM

Met him at Carlisle. His wife is a sweetheart.

It's a nice looking piece of equipment. I am sure it is better quality then stock.....but 50 hp gain is a little wishful thinking IMO.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 05:53 PM

Dannuck has been posting the dyno results in the new products section. 50 sounds high but there is some improvement. Tim
Quote:

50 hp?comom! lets see the dyno test.

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 06:11 PM

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me how TENDER the feelings of people have become I don't see what Dave posted as bashing you.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 06:21 PM

Looks like a good product with well needed features for the stock appearing guys.

The sales pitch info with 10-40 "average" increases I take with a grain of salt.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me how TENDER the feelings of people have become I don't see what Dave posted as bashing you.

And it never ceases to amaze me why people ask why somebody quit posting on Moparts
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 06:48 PM

If you are going to tout a product in public then you darn sure better to be able to handle a little negativity. Most defininetly when you push the limits of believability as to it's capabilities.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 07:02 PM

Facts are,I never claimed 50 horsepower gains.
If anybody would take time to look at the charts being referred to,the 50 hp"gain" being referred to is actually a slight gain with the RevNNator,and a huge loss by the stock type box where it could not properly fire this engine.
This is most likely due to the higher cylinder pressure associated with the engine design.
The loss from that box was easier to see in the graph I provided that was edited out of the article after I sent it in.
I can handle critics,I need proof of things myself
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 09:39 PM

Dudek tested one and said it was worth 15hp over 6 grand over a orange box. He could tell you better
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/07/12 10:16 PM

Quote:

I'm running one. Maybe the first one overseas sold ( it has the number 20 serial on it ) got it on the email subscription first offer.

I'M PLENTY HAPPY WITH IT. My engine revs like the wind like never befor, without miss a beat.

I had FBO A688 set ( coil, ECU and everything )untill his ECU failed. I mounted initially the Rev-N-Nator with the FBO coil what it was still working. Troy from RT garage told me on their test the FBO coil didn't match very well with their ECU. After a week, I can say with facts this statement is true. My car began to miss beats and get hard starting. Installed a MSD Blaster 2 coil I had around and WROOOM, everything back to the pleasure of normal again... but over the stock normal LOL

I can't talk against an MSD since I never have tried an MSD Module, but against ALL THE REST MODULES I HAVE USED ( MP Orange and Chromed, FBO and the one what Rick Eherenberg sells ) THIS IS THE BEST I HAVE USED and the "upstep" is TOTALLY NOTICEABLE.

Nacho, thank you very much for your input. this is VERY good and street level info. i've been waiting to hear things like this.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 12:00 AM

I'll admit that what I wrote was based on the comparisons of the extremes. the Rev box versus the Wells. The reason that I made note of it is because I actually have a no-name ECU in my car. I didn't think that there was that much of a difference in the spark box performance. After I posted this topic, I did a search and read the entire thread on this ECU in the "New products" forum. The glaring evidence of the wide gap in power in the mid rpm range seemed to be due to the inferior box pulling ignition timing out at that range. From my understanding, the Rev box, with its modern guts, eliminates the possibility of the reduction in ignition timing. That allows the engine to make more power. The averages in gains were NOT 50 HP, but more in the 10-25 HP range. It was the wide gap at the midrange that caught my eye.
I don't mean to sound like a gullible consumer, but the logic seems valid.
Posted By: DaveDudek

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 02:45 AM

I tested the rev-n-nator and picked up 16hp, the hi RPM is where this box prevails, not to mention the rev limiter. Great little unit IMHO.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 02:47 AM

Dave , what box did you compare it to ?

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 02:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And it never ceases to amaze me why people ask why somebody quit posting on Moparts

Keith

I appreciate , as do others , the testing you did with this and showing real world results .

I'll ask , why are you OFFENDED and HURT because someone is questioning the results and/or the way it is written ?

I really want to know what makes you think you are being bashed ?

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 03:01 AM

Maybe it is because he did extensive testing and feels that his skills and efforts are not being appreciated.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 03:06 AM

Quote:

Maybe it is because he did extensive testing and feels that his skills and efforts are not being appreciated.

He wouldn't be the first to have that happen on this site and he certainly won't be the last .

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 03:11 AM

I have no problem with people questioning things. I did,and thats why I tested the boxes.
Its the way people go about it that gets me torqued off.
I'm over it,for now
I have seen several people that provide good information leave this board because someone always has to be a pain in the rear.
If people doubt something I do,I would just rather have them get in touch with me and ask how or why I came up with something than get on the old "no way" band wagon without ever even reading the information .
Carry on!

Keith
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 05:53 AM

IMO it sounds like a good unit even if just for the fact that it works properly instead of all those dud orange boxes we keep hearing about, and the built in rev limiter with no wiring butchering. I don't have a stock type ignition in my car, but if I did, I'd take a serious look at these.
Posted By: DaveDudek

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/08/12 10:27 PM

Quote:

Dave , what box did you compare it to ?

Chrome box.
Posted By: gch

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 03:35 AM

Has anyone noticed any idle difference/improvement?What about part throttle response?

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 03:50 AM

I am running one on my 440 dually I cant tell much difference on idle quality . It does start better and response seems better. I can definitely feel the difference pulling the enclosed trailer.
I was just looking the truck over today getting ready for Monster Mopar,the plugs look cleaner than I'm used to seeing in a street vehicle.
I had to pull a couple degrees of timing
out with it to get rid of some pinging under heavy loads.
Keith

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 05:02 AM

Quote:

I am running one on my 440 dually I cant tell much difference on idle quality . It does start better and response seems better. I can definitely feel the difference pulling the enclosed trailer.
I was just looking the truck over today getting ready for Monster Mopar,the plugs look cleaner than I'm used to seeing in a street vehicle.
I had to pull a couple degrees of timing
out with it to get rid of some pinging under heavy loads.
Keith

to reply to gch, was thinking on say that but couldn't say better than this. I subscribe all these words. Like I said, REVS UP LIKE THE WIND

about pinging... I'm still in battle with this, BUT my engine is modified ( from 8.2 stock 400, to a 10.3 stroked 400, "more less quenched" ). I have tried allmost everything, being a novice in Performance and tune up world ( maybe I'm still missing something ) and IT LOOKS it could be the Spark Plug heat range ( running XR5s ).

Temporally made a test with an STP octane booster once and the pinging was gone. My engine was pinging starting at 2800-3000 RPMs or so going down in heigh from my city height, specially with load.

Pinging definitelly has nothing to do with ECU itself, since I have got same pinging with all boxes

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 05:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nacho, thank you very much for your input. this is VERY good and street level info. i've been waiting to hear things like this.

You're welcome. My car is a driver, so if I have to talk about street level ( spicy, to be honored to the thruth ), I can talk about. I can't be on numbers since I have not dyno'ed my car yet, and I'm novice on this to talk about what got better or worst my car. I just can say that making JUST the ECU change, REALLY got a noticeable difference.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 01:47 PM

BTW, forgot to say, my main goal on get the REV-N-Nator was the DURABILITY, more than the performance deal. Being a street car, Chromed and FBO boxes were good enough for me, but they didn't last long. I was tired of eat ECU boxes.

The one Rick Eherenberghs sells is a great box too, but after tried the Rev-N-Nator, I saved the Ricks one as a spare.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 02:44 PM

Quote:

BTW, forgot to say, my main goal on get the REV-N-Nator was the DURABILITY, more than the performance deal. Being a street car, Chromed and FBO boxes were good enough for me, but they didn't last long. I was tired of eat ECU boxes.

The one Rick Eherenberghs sells is a great box too, but after tried the Rev-N-Nator, I saved the Ricks one as a spare.

durability is also what i'm looking for and the units are just too new to have any long term field testing. i'll keep waiting and if my MSD dies i may look into one. my MSD has almost 20 years on it (coil too) so i think that is pretty hard to beat!
Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 03:03 PM

ALl this talk of Chrome/Orange ECU's being junk.....I've never had any trouble with mine.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 03:49 PM

Quote:

ALl this talk of Chrome/Orange ECU's being junk.....I've never had any trouble with mine.

9 times out of 10 i'll bet the failures are due to mis-matched components.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 03:56 PM

my car has ate 3 chromed in a row in two years... one just last long 1 week. Have tried orange one and worked fine untill got the Rev-N-Nator ( maybe one month ), but I didn't want to take the risk to get broken on the highway.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 04:15 PM

Quote:

X2

on 2 different cars- 12 years on a chrome box and 7 years on an orange box, no problems.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

X2

on 2 different cars- 12 years on a chrome box and 7 years on an orange box, no problems.

this thread going on right now is a perfect example of why i beleive there are so many failures - https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...;gonew=1#UNREAD - somewhere down the road his wiring has been modified to use a 4 pin ballast.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 04:48 PM

I think the problems are with newer units, not olders

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 05:14 PM

Quote:

you are in a better position than most people here to answer that since you tried rebuilding them! did you see any difference?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/09/12 09:37 PM

Quote:

I (painfully) reread most of the old thread. My observations;

- Yes you could get a 40hp increase (maybe) on a 13.1 to 1 race engine over a stock box...of course nobody with such an engine uses a stock box so that's a little misleading IMO.

- Another member posted a 5hp increase over his MSD6Al - I can believe that.

- Dave Dudek got a 16rwhp increase over a stock orange box on his Purestock Hemi 'Bee. I'm assuming that Mr. D doesn't intend to field a loser so I expect his engine to be in the 600hp (gross flywheel) range

All that having been said, there is no way that you'll see anywhere near 50hp bolting a Rev-n-ator in place of a functioning factory box on your basic street engine.

I don't think it's a bad product; in fact I'm thinking of getting one for my Purestock 440-6 'Bee but I don't expect to see any huge gains...maybe 5-10hp which would be just fine.

Dave

Careful now, I posted pretty much the same stuff and they got pretty upset. There was no external validation and all of the backup appeared to be from within a circle taht included people in the supply chain. I'm all for having new and improved products, but to throw out some of the claims so loosely, it caught my eye as snake oil. I'm glad others have validated the product, but that does not change the fact it was touted as a miracle to begin with and the power of the motor matters.
Posted By: dezduster

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/10/12 01:33 AM

Appriciation is hard to come by here on this little site known as moparts.
SO, Dunnuck Racing THANK YOU for your efforts in testing,proving and being vigilant in the acuracy of your information of the REV-N-ATOR. Much recources spent surely.
Dave Dudek you didnt have to post your findings, you could have choose to keep that as your little extra.It validated through a second independant and respectd source. Thank You
To the R/T Garage- Troy and Laura Martinson
THANK YOU FOR ENDURING THE CONSTANT questioning and critisism. Congrats to a fine product proven.
To further prove your product and increase your sales get one to Eberger at Mopar Action let him test it. People dont always like what he says or agree with him but his technical advice is respected.
oh and enjoy the

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/10/12 02:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you are in a better position than most people here to answer that since you tried rebuilding them! did you see any difference?

need to find good quality transistors... the ones I found are chinesse junk, and only worked to discard where it weas the fail, what it prooved the fail was there.

Actually after get the Rev-N-Nator, left on a side the testing of more transistors, but will try to work on that again

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/10/12 04:23 AM

Quote:

.... get one to Eberger at Mopar Muscle let him test it. People dont always like what he says or agree with him but his technical advice is respected.

Whoa... DOUBLE insult!
He writes for Mopar ACTION

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/17/12 05:11 AM

I didn't know that Rick E was peddling his own ECM. Does anyone have feedback on those?
Posted By: 440Kilmartin

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/17/12 06:41 PM

one is install on my car. runs great. easily adjustable rev limiter. great for a stick car. built in tach for setting full advanced by your self. nice and clean. no extras wires for msd junk.
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/17/12 07:22 PM

I don't have one yet but I will probably buy one. I really wish they offered a version without the LED readout that would just use the MSD "pills." I have to assume that since you select the rev limit on install when powered, that if your batt goes dead or is disconnected, you have to reset every time. With the pills the difference from stock appearance would be very, very small, and if the car went unpowered there would be no issue.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/17/12 08:22 PM

Once you set your limit,you are good to go. There is no power to the box with the key off,but it remembers Your settings . You could pull a battery cable off or unplug the unit if you wanted to.
Keith
Posted By: 440Kilmartin

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/18/12 10:36 PM

I disconnect my battery at night . And the box always "remembers" the setting.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/19/12 06:02 AM

Quote:

I have to assume that since you select the rev limit on install when powered, that if your batt goes dead or is disconnected, you have to reset every time.

nope... keeps in place

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/19/12 06:04 AM

Quote:

There is no power to the box with the key off,but it remembers Your settings .

exactly... to the box, turn off the key is the same than disconect the batt

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/20/12 06:54 AM

I just ordered one tonight. Earlier today I spoke with the owner on the phone. He was really friendly and is excited about the product. I like this. Even though the unit costs a bit more than I expected, I feel good that it is going to a business that has passion for what they do.
I was told that in some cases, the box may not play well with the vacuum advance system. He said that since the Rev box uses digital circuitry, it responds a little differently when the timing changes with vacuum advance. He suggested either a trial and error with different adjustments within the vacuum cannister OR just plugging it off. From what I recall of the printed words of Rick Ehrenberg, I'm leaning toward keeping the vac advance functional as best that I can to maintain the best street performance. I'll report back once I get the Rev box and have a chance to compare.
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/20/12 02:42 PM

Quote:

I was told that in some cases, the box may not play well with the vacuum advance system. He said that since the Rev box uses digital circuitry, it responds a little differently when the timing changes with vacuum advance. He suggested either a trial and error with different adjustments within the vacuum cannister OR just plugging it off.

Well, I don't like that. Is this where the difference in HP gains is coming from, combinations of vac advance? I am guessing any dyno'd runs are probably plugged, as well as any race cars. I am leaning back towards a stock box after hearing this, but the HP gains are hard to pass up...
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/20/12 03:06 PM

Since dyno runs would be at WOT, and 0 inches of vacuum, I would not think the vacuum advance would have any impact on peak HP/TQ numbers.

It could effect economy or part throttle/cruise performance.

Was there any definition of what they meant by "doesn't play well"? Is it taking timing back out when it sees the vacuum advance try to run it up for economy? Does this lead to surging at cruise/part throttle driving?

Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... NOW installed ,REPORT: - 09/20/12 07:15 PM

The man said that the reluctor gap moves around during mechanical and vacuum advance. The Rev box responds to the changes. Having the gap change in 2 instances can confuse the ECM and cause timing to bounce around. I told him that I have a MP distrubutor as part of an electronic conversion package and that my vacuum can was adjustable.
He offers a 1 year warranty, which is simply unheard of with electronic parts. I think that it is worth a try. Over the last 3 years, I wiped 2 orange boxes and went with a used ECM from a pile I had. Call me naive, but I didnt know that there was that much of a difference in spark boxes. My understanding was that the Chrome and Orange ECMs were supposed to be of benefit only in the sky high RPMs, which I don't see. I run the mill up to 5800-5900. The testing of this unit showed that it provides gains everywhere in the RPM range. I was specially impressed with the consistancy as compared to the cheapest ECM which faltered in the 3000-4000 range. THAT is the range that should be noticeable.
I dont drag race the car, but I might. It is a street car with a greater emphasis on cornering and handling. Mid range performance is my greatest interest.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/20/12 07:47 PM

Is true that the gap moves around with the vacuum. That happens because the diff ratius built into the distributor.

The reluctor is perfectly centered, so the circle gets the ratio from center.

The pickup coil is on a baseplate with different center than reluctor, so the ratio draws diff

is simply and basic geometry

If you adjust incorrectly the gap, you can even BITE the reluctor when vacuum is working, depending on how much advance you apply.

THE ONLY SOLUTION IS... play with the pickup coil position, bending the bracket here and there untill get the SMALLER VARIATION AS POSIBLE.

I made it, and got .009 with vacuum off and 0.007 with vacuum activated. That was way before I adjusted the vacuum action with the 3/32" Hex key, what it was really big.

Now I shortened the vacuum action travel, I guess I must be in .009" off and .008 on, or MAYBE still the same .009
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/22/12 09:13 PM

Thanks guys. I get it.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 09/22/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

I just ordered one tonight. Earlier today I spoke with the owner on the phone. He was really friendly and is excited about the product. I like this. Even though the unit costs a bit more than I expected, I feel good that it is going to a business that has passion for what they do.
I was told that in some cases, the box may not play well with the vacuum advance system. He said that since the Rev box uses digital circuitry, it responds a little differently when the timing changes with vacuum advance. He suggested either a trial and error with different adjustments within the vacuum cannister OR just plugging it off. From what I recall of the printed words of Rick Ehrenberg, I'm leaning toward keeping the vac advance functional as best that I can to maintain the best street performance. I'll report back once I get the Rev box and have a chance to compare.

please do report back. alot of guys are very interested but have little feedback aside from 'works great'.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... NOW installed ,REPORT: - 10/03/12 02:51 AM

The box went in the same way the old one came out. On removal, I noticed that my old was actually was the "Wells" unit that tested the lowest power numbers of the group.
I reduced the timing by 4 degrees and went for a drive. The car has always had a bunch of low end torque, so it is hard to tell if there are any gains from a dead stop. Anything over half throttle just blows off the tires. I still had some detonation. They state that the user may need to retard the timing 2-6 degrees. Thats fine, but by backing out the timing to avoid detonation, I'm also losing the 17 degrees of initial timing that the engine likes. To maximize the gains of this unit, I may either need higher octane gas or some distributor mods. Neither sound all that great to me. The engine runs strong, but it also did before. The rev limiter in the unit does work.
I can say that there is nothing specifically wrong with the product, but I'm not sure yet if I like it.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... NOW installed ,REPORT: - 10/03/12 11:24 AM

I got a call out of the blue yesterday from Troy himself. Someone had mentioned to him I had a dyno and he offered to send me one for testing. As I'm currently pretty busy at my real job I declined until things ease up a bit. I thought that was pretty nice of the guy though. Dave

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... NOW installed ,REPORT: - 10/03/12 02:12 PM

my main concern about the box was DURABILITY, then a similar performance to FBO/Chromed boxes at least ( when they worked )... once that is met allong with no mods on wiring, I'm simply satisfied. If I win some over them, WELCOMED!!!

and I positivelly can notice a better response over chromed and FBO boxes.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... NOW installed ,REPORT: - 10/03/12 07:09 PM

What type of distributor are you using? Most of them are fairly easy to recurse so you can get your initial timing back up whee you need it.
I,or others here will help walk you through it if you need help. Unfortunately,sometimes the quest for more performance sometimes requires us to need to change other things to match.
Keith

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... NOW installed ,REPORT: - 10/04/12 12:01 AM

I gotcha, Kieth.
I probably came across as a bit spoiled in the last post. I should have thought a little more beforehand.
I have a 440 distributor from Mopar Performance as part of their electronic conversion kit. I bought it in 2001. It has been recurved once by a guy that ran a shop with a dyno. He set the initial to 17 degrees and had to limit total mechanical advance to 31 degrees to avoid the dreaded detonation. I have since tried other settings, but this is where the car ran best with 91 octane gas. I'm running 10.8 compression with Edelbrock aluminum heads and a MP '509 cam. I have planned to swap back to a Comp cam again. I liked the street manners of the 285 XE stick when I ran it.

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... NOW installed ,REPORT: - 10/04/12 03:11 AM

Not a problem,just offering to help. I spent countless days on my dyno with the 440 out of my dually. Carburetor and timing tweaks. Then I put a RevNNator on the truck and had to change the curve in the distributor again to keep from pinging
I really think it was worth it though,8.5-9 mpg towing a heavy enclosed trailer. Never had it's tongue hanging out either.
Keith
Posted By: The R/T Garage

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 01/30/13 08:08 PM

Quote:

I don't have one yet but I will probably buy one. I really wish they offered a version without the LED readout that would just use the MSD "pills." I have to assume that since you select the rev limit on install when powered, that if your batt goes dead or is disconnected, you have to reset every time. With the pills the difference from stock appearance would be very, very small, and if the car went unpowered there would be no issue.

The Rev-n-nator will hold whatever setting that has been set. Even if you take it out and throw it on a shelf for 10 years.
Thank You, R/T Garage
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Rev-n-nator ignition boxes.... Anyone tried them? - 05/27/13 11:55 PM

It's been a few months since one of these threads has had any info added.

Anyone have anything to say that wasn't covered in previous threads?
Is the failure rate better than the orange boxes?
I'd love for this to be a silver bullet product.
© 2024 Moparts Forums