Moparts

Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily?

Posted By: shanker

Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily? - 11/10/08 10:02 PM

I have a 75 Duster 360 with a bad coolant leak around the Water Pump Housing, is this something I can easily change in the engine bay?

If not I am not going to fix it and just wait another 4-5 months to fix it when the engine comes out for the car to get painted.
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily? - 11/10/08 10:06 PM

It's an afternoon job. Doesn't take too long
at all. Biggest pain is draining the system.

I hate the taste of anti-freeze but the neighbors dog sure loves it!
Posted By: MoparJoe

Re: Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily? - 11/10/08 10:59 PM

It depends on what options it has, on the Dart I'm working on I can probably have it off within 15min no problem, if it has P/S A/C etc it will take a little while longer.

Wheres it leaking anyways? If it's out of the weep hole in the bottom of the pump its a simple job, if its leaking between the timing cover and block thats a different story.

Re: Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily? - 11/11/08 01:54 AM

its leaking between the Block and the timing chain cover..

how big of job would that be?
Posted By: MoparJoe

Re: Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily? - 11/11/08 02:00 AM

It's a good day of work because everything has to come off the front and the balancer can be difficult if it's never been off. I would try to get another timing cover before you tear into it in case the one on it is too corroded to save, at that point you may as well throw a new timing chain on it while you're there.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily? - 11/11/08 03:47 AM

Quote:

It's a good day of work because everything has to come off the front and the balancer can be difficult if it's never been off. I would try to get another timing cover before you tear into it in case the one on it is too corroded to save, at that point you may as well throw a new timing chain on it while you're there.

& at least check the block sealing surface of the timing cover, depends on how much down time you can afford if you need to have another one ready to go. & check the fuel pump eccentric & definitely replace the tchain.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily? - 11/11/08 04:01 AM

Quote:

+1 on the timing chain and all else mentioned.

Re: Can I change the Water Pump Housing on a SM Easily? - 11/11/08 03:27 PM

sounds like I am going to be buying a 6 pack of beer to talk my bud into coming over one day...

The engine is fairly fresh, has less than 10K on it since rebuilt about 8 years ago...
© 2024 Moparts Forums