Moparts

Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection

Posted By: faud88

Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 03:29 AM

Curious what some of you are using over top of your pop up hood spring to protect your paint. I really dont wanna scratch the freshly painted hood.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 12:17 PM

I fit some shrink tubing around a few coils , some springs you can fit a body plug on top of it.
Posted By: RTshaker

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 01:32 PM

Small section of rubber windshield washer hose over end of spring .
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 06:08 PM

Rubber pad from a Ford Windstar hood spring. Fits our Mopar springs perfectly. I bought mine new at the Ford dealer, spring and cap, for 12.00. I'm told that Ford has no more, as apparently us Mopar guys bought them all...

The Ford spring is the same physical size, but the OD of the actual coil wire is smaller, so it has less pop-up pressure. I tried using the Ford spring as-is, but sometimes it would pop-up, sometimes not, so I placed the rubber pad on my original Mopar spring.

It's a great solution, and I've had many of my Mopar buddies comment on how nice it looks and works... Bet you could find one at Pick-N-Pull.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 06:19 PM

I've seen 35 mm film container caps on springs...
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 08:40 PM

Quote:

Rubber pad from a Ford Windstar hood spring. Fits our Mopar springs perfectly. I bought mine new at the Ford dealer, spring and cap, for 12.00. I'm told that Ford has no more, as apparently us Mopar guys bought them all...

The Ford spring is the same physical size, but the OD of the actual coil wire is smaller, so it has less pop-up pressure. I tried using the Ford spring as-is, but sometimes it would pop-up, sometimes not, so I placed the rubber pad on my original Mopar spring.

It's a great solution, and I've had many of my Mopar buddies comment on how nice it looks and works... Bet you could find one at Pick-N-Pull.

you have a picture of this?

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can take a picture for you. Haven't figured out how to post it to Moparts yet, but I can e-mail it to you. If you can post it here for the other members, that would be great.

I'll take the pic this evening and e-mail to you.

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can take a picture for you. Haven't figured out how to post it to Moparts yet, but I can e-mail it to you. If you can post it here for the other members, that would be great.

I'll take the pic this evening and e-mail to you.

Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/04/12 11:43 PM

Quote:

I've seen 35 mm film container caps on springs...

Kodak film to be exact.
Posted By: faud88

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/05/12 02:26 AM

Thanks for all of the ideas. I would love to see the ford setup as well if anyone has a pic.

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/05/12 04:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all of the ideas. I would love to see the ford setup as well if anyone has a pic.

I e-mailed the pics to LimeLiteAero. Not sure if they went thru. Just got a new computer, but sent them from the old one, as I know how to use it better. I know that sounds goofy...don't ask...

If he got them, he'll post them. If not, I'll figure out how to send them to you...
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/05/12 12:20 PM

I've used the Ford Aerostar rubber piece for years.

Attached picture 7365573-DSC00430-3.jpg

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/05/12 12:58 PM

thanks to 318 Stroker here are more pics of the Ford part.

Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/05/12 05:49 PM

I wonder how the "plastic-dip" stuff would hold up on the the first couple coils? That would be less conspicuous than a full rubber bumper.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/06/12 03:27 AM

Quote:

Small section of rubber windshield washer hose over end of spring .

Same here...Cut to length and slip it over the center section...Not too noticeable and does the job perfectly..

Attached picture 7366764-springhose.jpg
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/06/12 09:47 AM

Quote:

I wonder how the "plastic-dip" stuff would hold up on the the first couple coils? That would be less conspicuous than a full rubber bumper.

That's what I use and it works perfect. You have to make absolutely sure you only dip the very last coil of the spring at the very top or the hood will not close. I got that figured out the first time I did it.
Posted By: robertop

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/07/12 12:35 AM

Right, I just went to a local Ford dealer and was told they are no more available, so the best bet is to find one in a junkyard, I guess.

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/07/12 02:11 AM

Quote:

Right, I just went to a local Ford dealer and was told they are no more available, so the best bet is to find one in a junkyard, I guess.

could someone confirm if it was a WINDSTAR or a AEROSTAR?
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/07/12 02:25 AM

My fix for the mentioned issue is for the other end, on the hood.
I took a body washer about 1.25" in diameter and mounted it with a single self tapping screw. So now the spring has a solid contact surface to push on..

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/07/12 03:25 AM

Works great...

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/07/12 03:37 AM

Quote:

My fix for the mentioned issue is for the other end, on the hood.
I took a body washer about 1.25" in diameter and mounted it with a single self tapping screw. So now the spring has a solid contact surface to push on..

Just my $0.02...

thanks....but thats not going to work for me.
Posted By: robertop

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/16/12 02:44 AM

It's an Aerostar; the Windstar had no spring at all, as far as I can tell. You can only find them at junkyards.
Posted By: bryansgarage

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/16/12 03:15 PM

I grabbed 7 of them off Ford mini vans at the pick and pull last week.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 09/16/12 03:29 PM

I put a large vacuum cap over my spring. Blends in the with the engine bay been on there for 12 years. Dark Spring + Dark Engine bay
Posted By: oldrods

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 02/14/13 10:00 PM

2013 jeep wrangler has a spring cover that looks just like ford one.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Pop up Hood Spring / Paint Protection - 02/15/13 12:24 AM

I used some heat shrink tubing.
It's cheap, works great and hardly noticeable

Thought about the Plasti Dip but it's expensive and I only had one use for it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums