Moparts

440 dipstick length

Posted By: mkbubs

440 dipstick length - 08/29/12 02:52 AM

can anyone tell me what the correct length of the dipstick needs to be. i bought i new one from summit, installed it, put 5 quarts of oil in the motor. I pull out the dip stick, and it is bone dry. my oil pan appears to be stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: 440 dipstick length - 08/29/12 03:29 AM

Is the tube fully seat in the block. Next what year motor. Do you have the old stick.There is a diffence between some years for both dip stick and dip stick tubes. If you know for sure you have a certain amount of oil in the pan and that is correct then just mark your dipstick and go by that measurement.
Posted By: pacifica

Re: 440 dipstick length - 08/29/12 04:02 AM

Don't know if this will help but.......

1970 GTX 440 4bbl original oil dipstick is 23 inches long from tip to seat flange [where it rests on top of tube after inserting].

Bottom of stick to "add" line is 1 7/8"

Bottom of stick to "full" line is 2 1/2"
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 dipstick length - 08/29/12 12:46 PM

Quote:

my oil pan appears to be stock.

Sounds like you don't know what oil pan you have , crawl under it and look for a number , take a picture if it has no number.

A link to the dipstick you bought will help , also the length of the dipstick is useless without knowing the tube length also.

Did the dipstick you bought come with a tube ? Did you use it or stick the dipstick you bought into the tube that was already in your engine ?
Posted By: Mrbill69

Re: 440 dipstick length - 08/29/12 01:30 PM

Bought a chrome one to replace my damaged one. 3-1/2 qts would bring it to the full mark. I just drained it good, put in 6 qts of oil, ran it then made my own marks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 dipstick length - 08/29/12 03:34 PM

Yes see what pan you have which will tell you if you need more oil or a longer dipstick. If you have a regular BB shallow "center sump" type pan I'd put 4 qts in on a level surface and either get the correct dipstick or a longer universal one & remark it
© 2024 Moparts Forums