Moparts

Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets?

Posted By: Kelob_pie

Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/27/12 05:38 PM

Hi Guys,
I am going to be putting the stock 440 back into my New Yorker, and I was going to put the exhaust manifolds back on with no gaskets, just like the factory did I believe.
However, my buddy stopped over and he said no way would he do that, he for sure would use gaskets and some high temp RTV.
What works for you guys?
Thanks for any info!
Posted By: BTTG

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/27/12 05:42 PM

I put fel-pro's on my 440. just marked them with a sharpie and then cut out the visible gasket sections with a pair of tinsnips.... best of both worlds factory no gasket appearance as well as good sealing without resurfacing.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/27/12 05:46 PM

Unless the surfaces are absolutely perfect as they were when fresh machined when new I'd use the gaskets . I use them even after having the manifolds resurfaced .
Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/27/12 06:01 PM

If all the surfaces are good and clean, you should have no problem with metal to metal contact. I would have a machine shop just take a cleaning swipe to the manifolds and the head surfaces just to be sure. If you must use gaskets, there is only one kind and one kind only for my money. That is the REMFLEX gaskets. All others just don't seal as well as they do. And no RTV or Copper sealer is needed. I am using the REMFLEX with HP manifolds on my 383 Satellite. From the first fire up to all the others I have had no exhaust leaks. Pony up and get the REMFLEX. You won't be disappointed...
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/27/12 09:32 PM

I would use gaskets for sure. There's no harm. I'm using FelPro with Permatex copper RTV.
Quote:

I am using the REMFLEX with HP manifolds on my 383 Satellite. From the first fire up to all the others I have had no exhaust leaks. Pony up and get the REMFLEX. You won't be disappointed...

I agree, Remflex makes awesome gaskets. I'm using their flange gaskets...absolutely the BEST.

If I had to install new header gaskets, it would be Remflex.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/27/12 09:37 PM

I usually spray the exhaust ports on the manifold with hi-temp engine paint, nice/thick, then install them wet and torque in place, and let dry for a day/2 that usually seals them good
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/29/12 04:47 AM

Typically,
I take a 12 inch mill file and knock down any high spots on the manifold, then install with NO gasket...

In 40 years, only one manifold had to come back off for a gasket..
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/29/12 08:44 AM

NAPA sell a gasket fron VICTOR HEINZ that is made with a lot of graphite that is a lot like the REMFLEX. I have never seen/used a RIMFLEX gasket but I have used the VICTOR HEINZ. gaskets. I am absolutely sold on them. Thet are the only exhaust gasket I will ever use on anything.. .
Posted By: blewbyu2bad

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/29/12 06:33 PM

Anyone ever use the copper gaskets? Mine is a 340.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/29/12 08:09 PM

Quote:

Typically,
I take a 12 inch mill file and knock down any high spots on the manifold, then install with NO gasket...

Me too, I like dayclona idea also if it's a new build, otherwise bare after it's flat.
Posted By: 70Sbird

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/29/12 08:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Typically,

Me too, I like dayclona idea also if it's a new build, otherwise bare after it's flat.

using the large flat file on both the heads and manifolds is the key to making this work. I also spread a very thin smear of copper RTV on with my finger (same thought as the paint comment above) just for insurance
A little time spent here will go a long way.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/30/12 12:58 AM

Clean with 3M air powered pad. Thin coat of copper RTV and no gaskets. I'm a college drop out, therefore it works for me!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Ex. manifolds- gaskets or no gaskets? - 08/30/12 02:37 AM

I spread high temp silicone on the manifold. Let skin. then install and snug up wait 1 hour and tighten good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums