Moparts

Fluidamper install on my 383

Posted By: ewolfe

Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 05:00 PM

I can't seem to get the damper to seat enough to get the factory bolt and washer back in the crank to secure the damper.

I have installed and removed it on my 383 three times thinking maybe the key on the crank wasn't sliding into the damper, but I know it is. I chamfered both the key and the opening in the damper to allow access.

Is this normal? Do I need a longer bolt? Obviously my pullies now don't line up as the balancer is much thicker than the stock one it replaced.

Can you offer any suggestions? I know it sounds dumb, but it wont work for me.

Thanks
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 05:10 PM

Fluid dampers are known for being a tight fit on the crank and frequently need to have the hole enlarged a small amount. You can do this with some fine sandpaper and elbow grease.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 05:17 PM

does fluidamper make a thinner one like the ATI.i took the one off my race car and put it on a street motor and had to space everything way out,but the one i put on my other car was thinner and everything lines up perfect.i did have to hone them out a SLIGHT bit.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 05:23 PM

Quote:

Fluid dampers are known for being a tight fit on the crank and frequently need to have the hole enlarged a small amount. You can do this with some fine sandpaper and elbow grease.

One of these helps.
Mine is home made out of a piece of about 8" 3/4" fine threaded rod some washers and 3 nuts!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1023/?rtype=10
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 05:25 PM

IIRC I had to use a small block balancer bolt on mine. It's been years since I first fit it up though.

You may try to "warm" up the balancer, nothing over 180* IMO but I'd check their site first before hand.

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 05:35 PM

Yes small block balance bolt is longer so that would work tell help start or go to a nut and bolt place and buy a longer 3/4" fine bolt and some washers to pull it in but you will probably still have to hone it / sand it a bit!
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 06:00 PM

Do it right and get your machine shop to hone it to the correct size. Tim

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 06:12 PM

Ok, so it is normal for the short factory bolt not to fit once you've installed the balancer? After I've installed and removed it three times with my installer bolt setup, each time the factory bolt wont even touch the threads of the crank. I'll try a small block bolt and see if that reaches (remember, I'm talking about the bolt not being able to thread in once I've installed the balancer with an install kit)

Thanks, this was starting to worry me after spending the cash for the expensive Fluidamper.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

Ok, so it is normal for the short factory bolt not to fit once you've installed the balancer? After I've installed and removed it three times with my installer bolt setup, each time the factory bolt wont even touch the threads of the crank. I'll try a small block bolt and see if that reaches (remember, I'm talking about the bolt not being able to thread in once I've installed the balancer with an install kit)

Thanks, this was starting to worry me after spending the cash for the expensive Fluidamper.

Did it come with instructions ???

Most, if not all, AFTERMARKET balancers are required to be honed to size, they are made like that because not every crank snout is the same size and it needs to be HONED, not sanded by hand. you need a micrometer , measure YOUR crank snout , then have the balancer honed to size.

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/25/12 11:11 PM

regular bolt fits when it is all the way on the crank snot will be maybe .125 back of the outer part of the balancer that the big washer would butt up against!
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/26/12 02:37 AM

I used a brake cylinder hone on mine and now it fits perfect
Gus

Attached picture 7350592-savoyburnout.jpg

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/26/12 07:10 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll pull it back off and hone it to fit.

I appreciate the info.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Fluidamper install on my 383 - 08/26/12 07:24 PM

While it is off measure the crank to the timing gear and you will know when it is on all the way.I have a BB damper and had to put it in a pan ov very hot water not on the stove and let it sit for 2/3 minutes then install it with a little anti seize.
© 2024 Moparts Forums