Moparts

New Denso Alternator Not Charging (FIXED IT!)

Posted By: Junky

New Denso Alternator Not Charging (FIXED IT!) - 11/09/08 09:29 PM

Just installed a new Denso Alternator with a Charging Post and three spades for 12 Volt reference (sense), Ignition and Lamp. When looking at the face of the plug for the three spades, the ignition is the one on the far left, the sense is on the top and the lamp is on the far right...is this correct? I have the Charging wire straight to the starter relay as well as the sense wire, and the ignition wire is coming from the same source that supplied the old voltage regulator.

When I start the car the volt meter shows 12 volts, no more no less. What am I doing wrong?
Posted By: 5537SG

Re: New Denso Alternator Not Charging - 11/09/08 11:05 PM

it may need the light hooked up to turn it on. I suppose you could apply 12v to it, and see if that works. Its also possible you could damage it as well.

Without knowing the original intended application of the alternator, its hard to determine what inputs it requires to function.
Posted By: RedRam

Re: New Denso Alternator Not Charging - 11/10/08 12:07 AM

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/34.html
edit: btw, I am using a 120A denso piece from a 97 Ram. it has a Batt post and 2 fld posts just like a stock alt.
Very simple to hook up.

Attached picture 4802925-coil.jpg

Re: New Denso Alternator Not Charging - 11/10/08 12:36 AM

Quote:

solved the common Mopa low voltage at idle problem

I picked up a Denso alternator in the wrecking yard (Toyota 4Runner unit) and fabricated a mount to hang it from my motor plate. (I'm not selling these motor plate mounts so this isn't a for sale ad.) For the first time ever, the lights do not dim at idle. The Denso alternator is a 60 amp unit and it puts out a lot of amps at idle. My amp gauge showed 10 amps of output at 850 rpm (motor rpm). Voltage is 14.4 volts at idle with the headlights off, 14.2 with the lights on, 14.2 with high beams on.

The Denso alternator is 6 lbs lighter than the Mopar unit and is internally regulated. So one more thing gone from the firewall. I just ran the 12 volt source line that used to go the voltage regulator all the way to the alternator. Had to add one sense line so the alternator can "see" what hte voltage bus is at. This line I ran to the starter relay stud since that is where the BAT connects to as well as several other 12V sources.

AndyF

This is the way I installed mine, Toyota Denso that is. I have checked and rechecked, tested wires, you name it, all my wiring, but it still will not charge. The volt meter stays right on 12 volts. While the engine was running I tested all the wires which were right about 12 volts, I thought maybe my volt meter went bad. I even took the alternator off and had Autozone test it. It passed! I wish I knew this electrical stuff.

Someone please answer me this: Looking at the back of the alternator, where the three spades are, the one on the right is the ignition, the left is the lamp, the top is the sense. Correct? I'm not using the three wire plug. I have them wired individually.

Re: New Denso Alternator Not Charging - 11/10/08 12:42 AM

Is this looking at the face of the plug or the back of the alternator at the three spades? I wonder if I have the ignition wire on the lamp spade?

Attached picture 4802978-denso_schem_600.jpg

Re: New Denso Alternator Not Charging - 11/10/08 12:49 AM

Quote:

...Someone please answer me this: Looking at the back of the alternator, where the three spades are, the one on the right is the ignition, the left is the lamp, the top is the sense. Correct? I'm not using the three wire plug. I have them wired individually.

Going by Andy's tech archive post, you have the ign and lamp connections backwards.

Edit: your quicker than i am lol
I assume that is looking at the back of the alt.

Attached picture 4802993-denso_schem_plg.jpg

Re: New Denso Alternator Not Charging - 11/10/08 02:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...Someone please answer me this: Looking at the back of the alternator, where the three spades are, the one on the right is the ignition, the left is the lamp, the top is the sense. Correct? I'm not using the three wire plug. I have them wired individually.

Going by Andy's tech archive post, you have the ign and lamp connections backwards.

Edit: your quicker than i am lol
I assume that is looking at the back of the alt.

Great. LOL I had a 50/50 chance and got it wrong. This is why I don't gamble.

Thanks for your help.

Re: New Denso Alternator Not Charging - 11/10/08 02:54 AM

Jeeezzzzzz, I went out, switched the wires, it works. I can't believe I didn't understand that picture.

Re: New Denso Alternator Not Charging - 11/10/08 03:11 AM

© 2024 Moparts Forums