Moparts

No brake lights

Posted By: Oldstrtracr

No brake lights - 08/21/12 03:22 PM

Need help please. No brake lights, tail lights work, left side hazard works, right side very faint, turn signal left side works, (right side turn signal no) new brake switch in last nite. 1970 Challenger R/T. This does have cruise control, could the wiring for cruise affect brake lights? Also new paint, should i check ground in back. Thanks Moparts.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 03:34 PM

Check grounds in back, also I know silly, but the fuse?

Mike

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 03:56 PM

Checked fuses, all ok. Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 08:09 PM

seperate the turn signal electrical connector under the steering column & with your VOM and the TS stalk in nuetral see if there is continuity between the "in" wire from the brake light switch (it's white) & the 2 "out" wires to the left/right rear brake lights (turn signals/brakes/hazards use the same single large filament in the 1157 dual filament bulbs) & taillights use the small filaments & that circuit originates seperately in the headlight switch. See if the right side bulb/socket has continuity to ground. If so go behind the drivers side kick panel & seperate the connector & see if the wire to the right rear large filament has continuity (The left side large filament does because the left TS works)

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 09:02 PM

Thanks, will check when i get home tonite.
Posted By: JohnH

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 09:25 PM

good chance your turn signal switch is bad, the brake lights has to go thru it so it will make the signal work when the brakes are applied.. also cruise control will not affect it.
Posted By: furious70

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 09:27 PM

check the brake light switch on the pedal arm, they can come loose and not trigger the plunger.
Posted By: danspony

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 10:34 PM

hi, no the cruse wont affect the brake lights the brake switch has a sepp. circuit just for that, test to see if you have bat, voltage to the brake switch if you dont it is most likely the turn sig switch , very comon prop.

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 10:48 PM

Put in new brake switch, yes there is power to switch, checked it twice to be sure. Thanks
Posted By: WINGCARS_6970

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 10:55 PM

Turn signal switch most likely.Brake switch has pink and white wires check for power .Or jumper the 2 together.Bypass brake switch
Posted By: Mad Accountant

Re: No brake lights - 08/21/12 11:50 PM

Dumb question i know, but did you check the bulbs? You should have two filaments on each. I recently blew the brake lights and when i checked the bulbs they seemed ok. But, both brake light filaments had completely burned off, including the posts, so they looked like single filament bulbs. I didn't know there were supposed to be two, so i spent a week checking wiring. My bad signals were due to a bad flasher, too.

Re: No brake lights - 08/23/12 02:54 PM

Believe its the switch. Who sells good quality Turn Signal Switch? 1970 Challenger R/T Thanks Moparts
Posted By: JohnH

Re: No brake lights - 08/23/12 05:39 PM

Bought mine from year one
© 2024 Moparts Forums