Moparts

electrical charging problem... long

Posted By: 71340vert

electrical charging problem... long - 08/20/12 01:43 AM

For some reason my battery is not charging. I put a new alternator on it and it still wont keep the battery charged. The battery is new. The car will sometimes stop running while driving. I can jump start it, and sometimes it will run for the rest of my trip, and other times it will stop running after only a mile or so. Sometimes it will run perfect and after i shut it down for a few minutes and then try to start it again, like when getting gas, it wont start and the battery is drained. what would cause my alternator to not charge the battery. I'm guessing I have a bad wire somewhere, but I"m not sure where to begin looking. Also have always had some issues with the dash lights working intermittently, but now seems worse and no turn signals. I'm assuming this is a bad ground. Could the same bad ground be causing both problems?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: electrical charging problem... long - 08/20/12 03:18 AM

see what you have for a fast idle charging voltage at the alt batt terminal and at the batt positive post. Check/clean the bulkhead. use a small metal bristle brush to clean the brass male terminals in that half of the bulkhead and a male brass terminal (NAPA 725147) to clean the female brass terminals in that half
Posted By: 71340vert

Re: electrical charging problem... long - 08/20/12 03:33 PM

ok thanks, I'll give that a try
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: electrical charging problem... long - 08/20/12 06:12 PM

I recently had a somewhat similar problem,
I would drive at night....lose power and headlights would be really dim while driving.
Checked voltage at alternator (amps good) battery
was checked (good)...turned out to be a bad
voltage regulator, a $15 fix!
© 2024 Moparts Forums