Moparts

tranny help please (UPDATED)

Posted By: meepmeep70

tranny help please (UPDATED) - 08/19/12 05:23 AM

70 road runner 440,727 torque flight,driving home after a 40 min cruise on a less then 300 mile tranny rebuild,goosed it to pass an older gentleman who decided to stop in the middle of road,at the point i heard a loud whinning sound from tranny,sounded like a fan belt,got home,noticed at speed and not accelerating noise gone,but got terrible again at the stop light.Got home,let it cool,fluid perfect,no burnet smell,and full.Start it up all normall,until i put in drive or reverse with foot on brake,back to park or neutral no whinning sound,any thoughts where to begin? or do i need to pull the tranny after only 300 miles,any direction would be appreciated,thank you,

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 06:00 AM

no thoughts?
Posted By: moparjo68

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 07:50 AM

Sounds exactly what I went thru with my 727 tranny. I heard a loud whinny noise only during certain RPM's of the engine. Its very hard to track down engine noises but I thought it was coming from the tranny. I would put it in gear, hold my foot on the brake while in drive and I heard the noise. Put it back into park and the noise stopped. Then one day noise seemed to be coming from PCV valve. I replaced the PCV valve and my whinny noises went away. Try eliminating the pcv valve while your testing or if you have another laying on the shelve, just try trading it out. Let me know.

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 02:23 PM

thank you,and i did eliminate it,with no change,any other thoughts? wanted to hopefuuly diagnoise,and if it has to be pulled,start pulling,crawling under it now.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 02:31 PM

Make sure it has enough fluid hot and idling in Neutral. look for foam or air in the fluid.
check your flex plate bolts may have lossened off?

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 02:45 PM

thank you,fluid is good,no foam,and full in neutral,i'm so bummed because i wanted to come home and head out to a show,i hoped to solve this problem,before heading to niagra falls canada(your area)so i'm not worried about it on my vacation

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 02:46 PM

checking flex plate bolts next i'll report back

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 03:13 PM

wonder if the flex plate is cracked?? they will wine if the suck air?
strange??
Posted By: lilred

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 03:19 PM

Had something similar on my 1977 power wagon 440/727, it was almost like a whine, it ended up being the front pump and it burned out the trans in time, had a similar noise in my 2002 superduty diesel and it was also the pump, hope you have better luck.

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 03:47 PM

in the tranny part of my manual says low fluid (sucks air) front pump, malfuntioning valve body or sprag race failour!
Posted By: fox

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 03:49 PM

It could be pump whining, but I suspect it is the pressure regulator valve doing it.

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 05:03 PM

thanks for replys,flex plate bolts are tight,and visual inspection shows no crack,so it seems i have to pull the tranny
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 05:09 PM

Rather than pulling the tranny which would mean taking it apart blind take the car to a tranny shop & have them drive the car... As mentioned it could be fliud bypassing the pressure regulator causing a resonating buzz/whine... It could be the front pump or it could be the convertor... A guy that has done trannies for a living should be able to pinpoint the noise & & if it's the pressure regulator the trans stays in the car....

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 05:14 PM

thank you Randy,really hoping that your suggestion is the problem hope all is well with you

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 05:17 PM

Sitting at the airport, be in a plant in Jersey tomorrow AM.. Back home mid week, short car cruise & BBQ next Saturday... Not a bad week..

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 05:39 PM

can i test presure regulator? how to find out?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 09:23 PM

Quote:

no thoughts?

I have one...learn how too use the space bar.

Re: tranny help please - 08/19/12 09:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

no thoughts?

uhmm o k
Posted By: Greg Ducato

Re: tranny help please - 08/20/12 02:34 PM

Whining when loaded in gear is usually caused by pump restriction, such as clogged filter, or by a bad torque converter.

Re: tranny help please - 08/20/12 02:39 PM

Quote:

Whining when loaded in gear is usually caused by pump restriction, such as clogged filter, or by a bad torque converter.

and bad cheap converters usually fill the pan full of junk!

course could be a malfuntioning valve body to??
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: tranny help please - 08/20/12 02:40 PM

line pressure restrictions will cause a similar noise.
ck the cooler lines for a kink or bend .

I hate to say it but my guts says ft pump or torque conv failer is in your future.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: tranny help please - 08/20/12 02:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

no thoughts?

It's TO... not TOO As in, "learn how to spell"
Posted By: Graham

Re: tranny help please - 08/22/12 12:32 AM

If it's the pump that is whining it could be that the filter is clogged as has been previously mentioned.
I think your easist check is to drop the pan and see if the filter is plugged up and if it is, what is the debris from.

Re: tranny help please - 08/30/12 02:56 PM

WELL,for the people who suggested converter,bingo,pulled old(fresh rebuild) tranny,then pulled converter,and the converter has broken up,taking the shaft with it. Know i had a problem with the tranny,i ordered a new one from John Cope racing(see my good guy alert post),and installing that,the old one is also being redone and will go on the shelf for back upthank you for all the folks who helped me,as usual moparts is awesome

Attached picture 7357100-DSC01818.JPG

Re: tranny help please - 08/30/12 02:59 PM

shaft
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: tranny help please - 08/30/12 03:05 PM

yep,those are used parts now.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: tranny help please - 08/30/12 03:07 PM

Wow , that bites Darren I hope you flushed the cooler circuit real good before installing the Cope trans. Any idea how that happened ? What convertor was it ?

Re: tranny help please - 08/30/12 08:25 PM

was A B&M converter,new less then a couple hundred miles,got on it just to pass a car turning right,nothing extreme and i heard a loud whizzing noise,cope tranny will be installed tomorrow morning (took the day off) and thanks john i will flush the lines
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: tranny help please - 08/30/12 08:47 PM

I guess thats the difference between a 4 pac and a 6 pac.

Re: tranny help please - 08/30/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

was A B&M converter,new less then a couple hundred miles,got on it just to pass a car turning right,nothing extreme and i heard a loud whizzing noise,cope tranny will be installed tomorrow morning (took the day off) and thanks john i will flush the lines

I'd be tempted to send a thank you Turd to B&M...

Re: tranny help please - 08/30/12 10:23 PM

Randy,B&M will get a big thanks for nothing,as most of us understand,converter is 3 yrs old,BUT was installed with the drive train after engine bay painted,then rolled around the garage to do the body work then paint,then assembly,so it has only a couple hundred miles,but being 3yrs old,pretty sure B&M could care less,none the less they will here my
© 2024 Moparts Forums