Moparts

piston pin sizes

Posted By: StealthWedge67

piston pin sizes - 11/09/08 03:18 AM

I see BB rods with pin dia. of 1.094 & .990. The pistons I'm looking at are .990 pin dia. can you bush the 1.094 rods for the .990 pin? Whats the deal here?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: piston pin sizes - 11/09/08 03:46 AM

.990 pin is a Chevrolet size, they work fine, weight considerably less then the 1.094 & there are lots of trick versions avalible because it is a chevy part..

I would expect bushing a 1.094 down shouldn't be a problem at all...
Posted By: dogdays

Re: piston pin sizes - 11/09/08 04:14 PM

IIRC off the shelf bushings, but the real trick is to get the new rods with 0.990 pins and you're there.
R.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: piston pin sizes - 11/09/08 08:57 PM

Yes you can bush a 1.094 rod to .990, but why would you want to? Only reason I can see is if you are using stock rods and at that, by the time you pay someone to re-condtion them, bore them for the bushing, press them in,drill them for oil and hone them to size, your about a $100 away from a brand new set of H beam rods .If your entertaining .990 pins, then you must be into some sort of performance build anyhow, so stock rods would not be the best choice there as well. Perhaps you can explain with more information, and we can better understand the direction your heading.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: piston pin sizes - 11/10/08 12:30 AM

Just get a set of K1 rods you will love them
Gus
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: piston pin sizes - 11/10/08 01:24 AM

Its a budget build and I was looking at the 440-source stock replacement rods. @ $269, the price is right, but I'm also looking at a set of Scat (or some ebay import) H-beams as well. This isn't a race motor, so if you want to spend your money & send me the rods, go ahead. But the budget for rods is max $400.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: piston pin sizes - 11/10/08 01:26 AM

Quote:

Yes you can bush a 1.094 rod to .990, but why would you want to? Only reason I can see is if you are using stock rods and at that, by the time you pay someone to re-condtion them, bore them for the bushing, press them in,drill them for oil and hone them to size, your about a $100 away from a brand new set of H beam rods .If your entertaining .990 pins, then you must be into some sort of performance build anyhow, so stock rods would not be the best choice there as well. Perhaps you can explain with more information, and we can better understand the direction your heading.

What would you gain at this point?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: piston pin sizes - 11/10/08 01:46 AM

Quote:

Its a budget build and I was looking at the 440-source stock replacement rods. @ $269, the price is right, but I'm also looking at a set of Scat (or some ebay import) H-beams as well. This isn't a race motor, so if you want to spend your money & send me the rods, go ahead. But the budget for rods is max $400.

I got my K1's for around $400 and that is better than having some 20 year old rods bushed for 990 pins I have learned by making mistakes and if you have $400 to spend on rods contact a K1 distributor competitionwedge comes to mind.I got mine from Nick Wilson at Compu-Flow.
Gus
© 2024 Moparts Forums