Moparts

Highest compression on pump gas?

Posted By: VITC_GTX

Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/16/12 05:03 AM

I imagine this has been asked many times in different forms, iron heads, aluminum heads, w/quench, w/o quench, overlap, etc, but my question is assuming you have no quench and you use crappy 87 octane gas what's the highest compression you can run with stock iron heads and any cam?

I'm putting together a very mild 383 and I don't want any issues with detonation, don't even want to consider having a problem.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/16/12 05:50 AM

You really need to know the cam size and optimize the compression to it.....As cam size has huge effect on when it will ping.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/16/12 06:42 AM

I don't think I'd want to exceed 8.5.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/16/12 06:48 AM

Quote:

I agree with this. I mean with the right cam maybe 9.0 but with iron heads and no quench and 87 fuel I think you would be pushing it at 9.0 as the 8.5 that Daytona said would be safer. Ron
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/16/12 11:50 AM

Quote:

x3. there is an 8:1 piston out there. the engine will drive fine with this piston but will be very lazy performance wise.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/16/12 03:57 PM

Quote:

I'm putting together a very mild 383

there was a Hot Rod eng build up (Atkins principle?) where they used a very high static CR and a specially ground cam to bleed off psi & ran regular gasoline with NO pinging & got spectacular mileage gains with the tradeoff of lower power at higher rpms. I'm going to Google it sometime & see if it's doable/practical
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/16/12 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

x3. there is an 8:1 piston out there. the engine will drive fine with this piston but will be very lazy performance wise.

All the available 383 pistons , except the KB400, are 8:1ish pistons
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/16/12 04:49 PM

Crower made a camshaft for smallblock chevies years ago that had a very late-closing intake valve. It was specifically designed for higher compression ratios and pump gas. IIRC the only test had indifferent conclusions, and I believe it was from higher-than-normal reversion pulses causing the carb to go rich. It'd probably go better with fuel injection. As late as 10 years ago Crower was still trying to get rid of them, I saw them on the 'bay.

R.

The Prius engine runs at 13:1 compression on regular gas using this principle. Also Mazda's SkyActiv gasoline engine uses something similar.

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/17/12 12:46 AM

Quote:

The Prius engine runs at 13:1 compression on regular gas using this principle. Also Mazda's SkyActiv gasoline engine uses something similar.

No idea on the prius, but I think the mazdas get away with this because they use direct injection so there is no such thing as ping when you're compressing only air. However tough to compare new cars with variable valve timing to our old clunkers.

The idea of using high compression with a cam made to bleed off pressure sounds like it would deliver poor fuel mileage. Even with a late intake valve closing and efi to keep it in check, I just don't see it working all that well. However I would love to read about someone trying it.
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/17/12 12:56 AM

So...what about all the Pump Gas Drag guys that claim to run pump gas with 12.5 compression? Are they running cams with alot of duration?Probably adjusting their timing back and forth all the time?

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/17/12 03:36 AM

Quote:

So...what about all the Pump Gas Drag guys that claim to run pump gas with 12.5 compression? Are they running cams with alot of duration?Probably adjusting their timing back and forth all the time?

Pump gas like the pump premium I can buy at 94 octane? Big difference between that and 87! 12.5 with a big cam and 94 could work.
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/17/12 04:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Pump gas like the pump premium I can buy at 94 octane? Big difference between that and 87! 12.5 with a big cam and 94 could work.

Wow!!! The best I can get around here is 91.

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/17/12 04:58 AM

Ya, one place in town has got 94, everyone else is 91.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Highest compression on pump gas? - 08/17/12 04:48 PM

Back to Mazda. The major thing they did to allow that high compression ratio, up to 14:1 in Europe on premium pump gas, was to decrease the temperature of the incoming air charge.
They do this two ways: first, some fuel is injected on the intake stroke, evaporation cools the incoming air, then more fuel is injected during the compression stroke.
Second, the exhaust gas residual in the chamber was found to have a major heating effect on the intake charge, so they cut it in half by using a 4-2-1 header. There is also some business about the piston top, which features a nice hole right in the center. I did not understand the explanation they gave, something about not heating the top of the piston.

It's fascinating to see developments like this.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums