Moparts

1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally?

Posted By: WyleECoyote

1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/14/12 01:03 AM

I want to get a few extra keys made for my 84 Ram D350 - and Lowes and Home Depot do not have the blanks. Are there any other local sources that you all have had success in finding these or will I need to order from Year One, eBay or other source?

Thanks,
Ron
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/14/12 02:59 AM

Find a REAL locksmith, somebody that's been around a few decades. I did this with my wagon. If you need a set with the pentastar on it, go yearone. If you just need a set that works, go with the locksmith.

Box stores suck when it comes to getting keys made, ANY keys.
Posted By: GreenBird

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/14/12 06:31 PM

My local Ace/True Value hardware store had them.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/14/12 10:27 PM

I personally like the newer 80s style with the plastic head. Same shank as the older ones..
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/15/12 02:44 AM

Quote:

I want to get a few extra keys made for my 84 Ram D350 - and Lowes and Home Depot do not have the blanks. Are there any other local sources that you all have had success in finding these or will I need to order from Year One, eBay or other source?

Thanks,
Ron

They're getting hard to find, even at locksmiths. I bought them from ebay. I have my own key cutter but I was able to get someone at Home Depot to cut a couple for me for my Rampage.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/26/12 07:51 AM

I got a set from someone on here a while back. Some dealers have them and every place around here that cuts keys I've seen them on their rack.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/26/12 01:40 PM

Quote:

Find a REAL locksmith, somebody that's been around a few decades. I did this with my wagon. If you need a set with the pentastar on it, go yearone. If you just need a set that works, go with the locksmith.

Why does everyone go to lowes or home depot for everything they need?

I get my keys made at a locksmith, you know one of those places that used to be in the middle of the parking lot just like the photo bugs. lol

Golden Key near me moved up and out of the parking lot into a real small store front, like a 6'X10' store. He has gotten me all things Mopar, just had to order a couple things, took a day or 2.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/26/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I get my keys made at a locksmith, you know one of those places that used to be in the middle of the parking lot just like the photo bugs. lol

Golden Key near me moved up and out of the parking lot into a real small store front, like a 6'X10' store. He has gotten me all things Mopar, just had to order a couple things, took a day or 2.

Well the last locksmith I went to was in a regular storefront. I needed to get a key cut for my motorhome side door. First the actual locksmith wasn't there and the guy who was watching the store fumbled around looking for blanks and kept asking me what I thought would work. Then when the locksmith got there he fumbled around as well. Never once did either one try to look up the lock in a book. I actually brought the lock with me and know the brand and model. Anyway, I spent over and hour on that and told him to skip it and then just wanted to get a copy made of the door and ignition key, 1973 Dodge Van, and he didn't have any kind of blanks to fit it.

Most locksmiths around here are either very old guys who can't remember what to do or their kids who never had a clue. Maybe it's a dying art.
Posted By: wannadrag

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/26/12 05:55 PM

I just had 4 cut for my GTX up here at the Fleet&Farm store.They had a bunch of mopar blanks.$1.19 each and that was the price cut.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/26/12 10:27 PM

Have to be careful with the newer style blanks because some of those plastic heads keep the key from fitting all the way into column ignition. I had one of these made for my '88 Gran Fury and it works fine in the door but won't fit in the ignition.

I bought several Pentastar ones off ebay and they were very reasonably priced. I had copies made at a locksmith.
Posted By: 2002bluert

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/27/12 08:15 AM

I am a locksmith and have been for 28 years. Any half decent locksmith shop not just a key cutting cart at the mall should have a key for any year Mopar you might have.And yes watch out that some of the newer plastic headed blanks are the same keyway as older Mopars but they will not fit into the chrome bezel on the older ignitions .

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/27/12 12:03 PM

I always cut that plastic peice off my key so it is smaller in my pocket on my key ring.

Re: 1984 Key blanks - available anywhere locally? - 08/27/12 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well the last locksmith I went to was in a regular storefront. I needed to get a key cut for my motorhome side door. First the actual locksmith wasn't there and the guy who was watching the store fumbled around looking for blanks and kept asking me what I thought would work. Then when the locksmith got there he fumbled around as well. Never once did either one try to look up the lock in a book. I actually brought the lock with me and know the brand and model. Anyway, I spent over and hour on that and told him to skip it and then just wanted to get a copy made of the door and ignition key, 1973 Dodge Van, and he didn't have any kind of blanks to fit it.

Most locksmiths around here are either very old guys who can't remember what to do or their kids who never had a clue. Maybe it's a dying art.

Sounds like you have a real good locksmith... if the local locksmith don't have blanks for your motorhome, then I would get them from a RV dealer and have the locksmith cut them if need be if the RV dealer can't.
© 2024 Moparts Forums