Moparts

tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap?

Posted By: MPerry

tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 01:31 AM

Most of it is dry and brittle but it still takes some effort to scrape off.

Snap-On tool guy wants to sell me a $500 Crud thug.

Chemicals are expensive also plus messy and hazardous to my health.

Any other suggestions to help save my sanity and arms from scraping?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 01:48 AM

Got a decent compressor? Get this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact-air-needle-scaler-96997.html

And ear plugs...

It won't take everything off but most of it... Whats left use a propane torch & a putty knife & finally solvent & a rag...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 01:58 AM

Rent a steam cleaner. I've tried every method there is, it's BY FAR the easiest and fastest! 200+ degree water, high presure washer = clean to bare metal (including some paint!). It's a wet messy job but it's eco friendly and suprisingly easy to clean up.

Attached picture 7332762-Hotsy.jpg
Posted By: matts69Dart

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 01:59 AM

Heat gun and scraper....comes off like butter.

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:05 AM

Before

Attached picture 7332770-BottomRearA.jpg

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:07 AM

3 hours later

Attached picture 7332772-AfterSteam.jpg

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:08 AM

Closer

Attached picture 7332773-BeforeWashingWheelTubs.jpg

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:09 AM

After 2

What remains is the factory dip sealer, primer, and paint overspray along with a bit of surface rust. Side benifit is that you can get a good pattern for your under carriage over spray and dip coat if you are going for a factory appearance. Sand blasting, scraping, and other forms of stripping will remove the factory finishes as well as the undercoating.

Attached picture 7332774-WheelWellsCleaned.jpg

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:14 AM

After a hose off and a sweep here's all that was left.

Attached picture 7332782-Cleanup.jpg
Posted By: MPerry

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:23 AM

Thats cool! Just wish I was set up where I could use a steam cleaner on the car.
Factory appearance isn't important on this one. Its a 74 Satellite currently getting springs moved inboard. I have the car stuck in the garage on stands leveled marked for the install.
Going to snag the heat gun from the shop and give it a whirl to see if its any easier.
If not I'll hit harbor freight up for the needle scaler to give it a shot. I'm just concerned with the stories I've heard about their tools failing often. That one is cheap enough though where it won't hurt too bad if it does.

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:25 AM

I'd use the heat gun and a scraper then, WEAR COVERALLS because you WILL be wearing some hot tar along the way! The needle scalers work but they will also chew up the surface of the sheet metal, sometimes pretty badly.....
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:28 AM

Quote:

Rent a steam cleaner. I've tried every method there is, it's BY FAR the easiest and fastest! 200+ degree water, high presure washer = clean to bare metal (including some paint!). It's a wet messy job but it's eco friendly and suprisingly easy to clean up.

I second this suggestion, by far the BEST way.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 02:39 AM

Quote:

The needle scalers work but they will also chew up the surface of the sheet metal, sometimes pretty badly.....

they only chew up the surface of the sheet metal if your keep hammering away at areas that aren't brittle.... The needle scaler with cause lots of the undercoating to crumble but if it's still rubbery it will move around instead of falling off.... If it doesn't fall off easily you don't keep hammering at it, you move along knowing the next step will take care of those areas....

If you keep hammering away at it yes you will scar the sheet metal...

Steam cleaner is great if you have an area to use it....
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 03:58 AM

Quote:

That is how I did mine. Melted the under coating like butter.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/13/12 04:22 PM

A friend bought a HF needle scaler, it lasted one hour. He returned it, got another one and put it on the shelf for the next time.

Sub-cool the area with dry ice and it gets so brittle it'll pop off, advice from this board a couple of years ago.

R.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/14/12 02:34 PM

Did my undercarriage with a simple Bernzomatic and a putty knife.
It literally came off in sheets.
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: tricks to getting undercoating off quick & cheap? - 08/14/12 04:41 PM

I did this too. Propane torch and putty scraper. Since you are on jack stands, and you did say cheap. It will take some time and stink up the garage. Get a fan going, use gloves...Remove things on the other side of the metal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums