Moparts

One more on my 73 RR - suspension question

Posted By: AverageJoe

One more on my 73 RR - suspension question - 08/13/12 01:28 AM

I have reasons why I can't get to it all right now , but it appears now (while I can access from fender "holes" - would be the time to at least replace the upper A arm bushings - can I replace them without removing the upper ball joints (entire assembly)?
Posted By: MPerry

Re: One more on my 73 RR - suspension question - 08/13/12 01:34 AM

I've always taken the arms off. It will be way harder (if its even possible) doing them on the vehicle.
Posted By: cjskotni

Re: One more on my 73 RR - suspension question - 08/13/12 02:02 AM

Quote:

I have reasons why I can't get to it all right now , but it appears now (while I can access from fender "holes" - would be the time to at least replace the upper A arm bushings - can I replace them without removing the upper ball joints (entire assembly)?

Both the lower and upper control arm bushings need to be pressed in. As the previous poster indicated, if it's even possible, it most likley will be more trouble to try to swap them out with the arms still attached to the spindle then to just seperate it from the ball joint.

Good Luck!
Posted By: AverageJoe

Re: One more on my 73 RR - suspension question - 08/13/12 02:18 AM

10-4 ..... I wasn't aware the upper bushings were pressed in, I've only rebuilt the suspension on an earlier A body, haven't seen any threads describing this job - aren't these access holes for accessing the upper control arms ? They're tough to get to with the engine in (and A/C).
Posted By: MPerry

Re: One more on my 73 RR - suspension question - 08/13/12 02:57 AM

You need to remove the bolts holding the cross shaft. (The ones that allow alignment adjustments) Obviously the car will need to be aligned after repair is done. Its a tougher job than doing them on A Bodies.
© 2024 Moparts Forums