Moparts

Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key

Posted By: sunroofgtx

Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 05:21 PM

Supposedly, the previous owner locked it with the trunk key, then tried to unlock, and it would not unlock. It's a survivor, so I don't want to bust it up. I've drilled them before, but would rather not do that to this. Any magic out there? Thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 05:24 PM

Cut or remove the old glovebox liner and remove the screws on the latch and replace the glove box after getting the lock to work
Posted By: bigtail

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 05:35 PM

Take it to a locksmith and have it done. It's not that expensive.

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 06:49 PM

Take the whole car there? Sounds like a great idea. Thanks.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 06:56 PM

Since the trunk key should fit how about using some graphite lube & try freeing up the tumblers..
Posted By: bigtail

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 08:02 PM

Quote:

I don't understand? Is it not drivable? I just couldn't see cutting up a liner and having to get a new one and everything. It would only take them a few minutes to fix, and cost wouldn't be that bad. The dry graphite sounds like a good try.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 09:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand? Is it not drivable? I just couldn't see cutting up a liner and having to get a new one and everything. It would only take them a few minutes to fix, and cost wouldn't be that bad. The dry graphite sounds like a good try.

I think he was serious, it is a good idea, if lube won't work let someone who deals with it every day do it so nothing gets damaged...
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 11:20 PM

Rick, Have you tried lots of WD-40 or Kroil? It is likely the lock pins ar dry and stuck. Some oil and a lot of "jiggling" of the key will usually get them open. If you don't have it open by Friday I will open it for ya! (have picks - will travel).

Scott
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/08/12 11:30 PM

Try this. just kidding. I've had this happen to me, I feel your pain.

Attached picture 7327759-C4_.jpg
Posted By: jon01

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/09/12 12:41 AM

Have you tried picking the lock? I've used a straightened out paperclip and small screwdriver in the past with success.
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/09/12 01:41 AM

Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/09/12 01:46 AM

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/09/12 02:44 AM

I will try the lubes. Yes it drives. I just didn't think of just taking it to a locksmith. Missing the obvious, I guess. Good calls, guys. The car won't be there until Sunday morning, thats when the car hauler is dropping it off.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/09/12 05:04 PM

One more thing to consider in the course of your actions. Locksmiths generally do NOT like having to work on a lock that has been drowned repeatedly in lubes.
So the typical DIY attempts followed by taking it to a pro results in said pro being unhappy and the difficulty/cost going up.
It might be better to Dirty Harry it and not mess with it before calling on the expert. (A man's gotta know his limitations)
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/09/12 07:18 PM

Quote:

I will try the lubes. Yes it drives. I just didn't think of just taking it to a locksmith. Missing the obvious, I guess. Good calls, guys. The car won't be there until Sunday morning, thats when the car hauler is dropping it off.

Call the local lock and key guy for a price, and then price a new cardboard glove box liner, especially if yours is the original one
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/10/12 12:56 AM

Plastic box

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/14/12 05:04 PM

Well , we got in. Thanks for all of the help. Jimmy Boros layed his magic hands on it. Thank everyone. It still is not fixed, just spins, and luck of it catching opens it.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Getting into a locked 71 Mopar Glovebox without key - 08/14/12 05:13 PM

Did you find anything good in there

Nice grab on the SSP by the way too bad the sunroof had to go

I need to drag my '71 up there sometime soon and check your new ride out!
© 2024 Moparts Forums