Moparts

440 SOURCE QUALITY?

Posted By: CUDA8U

440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 05:21 PM

I just got off the phone with Randy from Prostock,when i asked about 440source stroker kits.....1 word [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]!!!I have to respect his opinion ,this guy knows his stuff.
Posted By: TOMRR

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 05:39 PM

Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 07:10 PM

Meh, got some stuff from them for the 440 I'm putting together.... I suppose the stuff is decent. I guess depending how much is spent towards a given item it gives a bit of insight to the quality of the part. Rule of thumb in some cases I guess.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 07:56 PM

Quote:

I just got off the phone with Randy from Prostock,when i asked about 440source stroker kits.....1 word [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]!!!I have to respect his opinion ,this guy knows his stuff.

When a vendor slags another vendors stuff, that is a pretty good indication that you need to run not walk away from whatever he is trying to sell you. Guy has no class.

Considering there are thousands of Source kits running around trouble free, mine included, I wouldn't put any more stock in his opinion than he puts in 440Source.

Kevin
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 08:01 PM

I wrote a bunch of tech articles over the past 5 years based on a 505 inch big block that was built using 440Source parts. I never had any problems with that 505. It made more than 800 hp on multiple dyno pulls and eventually cracked the main webs. The rotating assembly was still good so we put it into another block and kept running it.

Tech articles are on my website if you want to read them. www.arengineering.com then click on tech articles.

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 08:12 PM

I asked who to use and he said scatt is the best of the best
Posted By: 383man

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 08:39 PM

There are more then a few good ones out there. I am also using a 440Source stroker kit and just about everything checked out good. The wrist pins were a tad tight in the rods so I honed the rod bushings a bit and they work fine. Everything else was fine. It was no big deal as I would rather have them tight where I can set them to what I like then if they were to loose. Everything is holding up fine and I do race it. Ron
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

When a vendor slags another vendors stuff, that is a pretty good indication that you need to run not walk away from whatever he is trying to sell you. Guy has no class.

I get people who come into my work place fishing to try to get me to talk trash about our competition. I don't. Doing so shows a lack of professionalism. I somehow doubt he was trash talking from first hand experience.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

thats just as Chinese as the 440 source. lol

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I get people who come into my work place fishing to try to get me to talk trash about our competition. I don't. Doing so shows a lack of professionalism. I somehow doubt he was trash talking from first hand experience.

he said their parts were chit
Posted By: DconD100

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 09:45 PM

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet a nickel he's a Scat vendor.

-
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 09:50 PM

My machinist treats them all as cores. Quality control at all the aftermarket parts manufacturing facilities sucks. My source heads had three valves on the tight side an easy fix. When I picked up my motor the new trick flow heads he had five that were tight. Does this make one better than the other? IMHO they all need to be looked at before you assemble anything. The days of bolt on and go are gone.

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/07/12 11:14 PM

i'm thinking of just going with the hughes stroker kit and eddy cnc'ed rpm heads,1.6 rockers,girdle and their cam grooved for upper oiling
Posted By: Von

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 12:26 AM

Quote:

i'm thinking of just going with the hughes stroker kit

And you will be getting the same chinese crank and rods, with a different name....
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 01:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i'm thinking of just going with the hughes stroker kit

And you will be getting the same chinese crank and rods, with a different name....

Unless you're going to cough up real money for USA made stuff, you're still buying the same made in china type parts. If Hughes name makes you feel better, go for it.
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 10:49 AM

Scat, what's the definition of that word?
I have no dog in this fight. I've bought from440source and am very happy with the results. But I just have a few hundred miles on it so far.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 02:21 PM

I have three friends who use the 440 source kits..None have had any problems. I used a Muscle Motors kit. I felt comfortable taking to Mike and Eric at Muscle Motors,they really know their tech stuff and are happy to answer any questions you may have!
Posted By: Commando1

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 02:43 PM

I just got off the phone with someone who asked me what I thought about Walmart. I said their stuff was $%#@!. But I go there 2 - 3 times a week...
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 04:24 PM

The 440 source kits are good, but not perfect.
On this post below, I detailed the build of my 505" stroked 440 with stealth heads, and CAT rockers.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

So far no problems. I only have about 200 miles on the engine so far.

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

SCAT parts work just fine for most bracket race type engines. Do you actually have the money to buy high end parts? If so, I'm sure some folks on here could point you in the right direction. If you're just building bracket motor then any of the stroker kits on the market will work fine. If you have the money to build something serious then I'm sure you can find someone willing to help you out.

Attached picture 7327265-oliver.jpg

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 04:43 PM

If you want a really nice crankshaft then call these guys.

Attached picture 7327268-callies.jpg
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/08/12 09:35 PM

best?
crank;bryant
rods;carillo
prices;5-10x as chinese...make your choice.
Posted By: chrisf

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/09/12 06:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet a nickel he's a Scat vendor.

-

you win the prize. they are
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/09/12 10:31 PM

Quote:

Meh, got some stuff from them for the 440 I'm putting together.... I suppose the stuff is decent. I guess depending how much is spent towards a given item it gives a bit of insight to the quality of the part. Rule of thumb in some cases I guess.

What are you saying with this statement? The tone is negative/insinuating 440 Sources' parts are bad yet your parts are fine? You do not specifically state whats bad with your source parts.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/09/12 10:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What are you saying with this statement? The tone is negative/insinuating 440 Sources' parts are bad yet your parts are fine? You do not specifically state whats bad with your source parts.

I think he's saying hat you get what you pay for you could spend more for higher quality.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/09/12 11:11 PM

Quote:

I just got off the phone with someone who asked me what I thought about Walmart. I said their stuff was $%#@!. But I go there 2 - 3 times a week...

X2 and i've watched all the documentaries AND the South Park episode!
Posted By: Von

Re: 440 SOURCE QUALITY? - 08/09/12 11:55 PM

Quote:

I think he's saying hat you get what you pay for you could spend more for higher quality.

The way I see this deal, with the chinese cranks and rods, the difference between mfg A and mfg B is the finish machining. A might be better than B, maybe not. Outside of K1, Id assume and figure on the cranks needing work...rods also...
© 2024 Moparts Forums