Moparts

'73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations

Posted By: HemiFury1973

'73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/04/12 10:32 AM

Hi Guys,

I have 1973 Plymouth fury Gran Sedan 400/727 that i want to upgrade to have more power and especially throttle response.
I would like to change carb to Hollry 4bbl and of course change the intake manifold, camshaft and timing set.
I don't know which configuratios to choose and i would appreciate your help and recommendations.

Regards,

Hemi (Yes, this is my name)

Attached picture 7321107-IMG_1183.JPG
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/04/12 11:50 AM

What carb do you have on it now? 2bbl?

A small Edelbrock 4bbl (600 or 650) on a Edelbrock Performer intake will help some along with some headers.

I wouldn't go throwing a cam at it without knowing exactly what's in it now for pistons, compression ratio, etc. You could really kill the power that way.

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/04/12 12:50 PM

Quote:

A small Edelbrock 4bbl (600 or 650) on a Edelbrock Performer intake will help some along with some headers.

I wouldn't go throwing a cam at it without knowing exactly what's in it now for pistons, compression ratio, etc. You could really kill the power that way.

Thank you.
For now i have 2bbl Holley. I don't know the rest details.
So can i for now vhange only the carb and intake and later add a mild cam (Lunati 60302 for instance)?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/04/12 02:36 PM

Welcome aboard! For starters I'd change the timing gear set to a new one with multiple 4 deg keyways & advance it 4 degrees and tweak the dist: set initial with vacuum gauge method/shorten slots to 38 total (no vac)/toss heavy spring/replace it with a light one/plug in vac adv & turn it CW with a 3/32" allen wrench to make it come in sooner. '73 model year was a terrible one for emission regs & you could go richer on the 2bbl jets. This'd give you a good boost without alot of down time.
Posted By: gch

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/04/12 11:17 PM

First thing I would do is dual exhaust.2.25 or 2.5 pipe.
Then richen up the jets or install a small 4 bbl of your choosing.
Getting lighter advance springs in the distibutor will help acceleration.
Running a 160 or 180 thermostat will help it run cooler and make good power.
A cam is not necessary but if you do it go small.400's don't make a lot of low end and a big cam will leave you disappointed.
Finding your rear gear ratio will help you determine the best mods.
A well tuned 400(new plugs,good wires,and distributor work will make a huge difference and give you a solid foundation for any mods.

Nice car BTW.

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/05/12 07:09 PM

Quote:

Finding your rear gear ratio will help you determine the best mods.

Thank you.
How can i find the gear ratio?

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/05/12 07:51 PM

jack 1 rear tire just off the ground and place gearshift in neutral. put tire valve stem at 6 o'clock then rotate tire 2 revolutions & count # of driveshaft turns, ie 2&3/4 turns is 2.76. If you have a sure grip jack both rear tires just off the ground and rotate them 1 revolution & count the driveshaft turns

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/07/12 12:48 AM

It may still have the factory tag with the ratio stamped on it.
Posted By: patrick

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/07/12 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you.
For now i have 2bbl Holley. I don't know the rest details.
So can i for now vhange only the carb and intake and later add a mild cam (Lunati 60302 for instance)?

assuming it's a 2.76ish rear, I'd probably look at the voodoo 60301
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/07/12 06:23 PM

On t he cheap I'd call summit and grab the smaller 455 cam and a T-chain set. I'd also run some dual exhaust and up the rear gear to 3.23. As for intake I'd try and find a DP4B or Holley SD. I'd run a 4 hole 1/2" spacer and a small holley or 625 carter. That should wake it up plenty and it won't hurt your mpg...if that's a concern.
Posted By: furious70

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/07/12 10:26 PM

Holley SD intake will take all the low end torque away, I tried it several different ways on my 383. In the great intake dyno test it was down something like 30ft lbs @3000rpm to a dp4b, imagine how bad it was way down low.

when it was still NA and carb'ed, my car had a lot more grunt from an idle with the stock intake and 3.23's then it did with the SD and 3.91's.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/07/12 11:56 PM

Quote:

Holley SD intake will take all the low end torque away, I tried it several different ways on my 383. In the great intake dyno test it was down something like 30ft lbs @3000rpm to a dp4b, imagine how bad it was way down low.

when it was still NA and carb'ed, my car had a lot more grunt from an idle with the stock intake and 3.23's then it did with the SD and 3.91's.

did you have the open or dual plane SD? i was talking about the low profile dual plane

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/23/12 06:54 PM

Thanks.

The gear ratio is 2.71...

What next? :-)
Posted By: dogdays

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/24/12 12:08 AM

The '73 is BUILT rich, the 2-barrel is choking the engine.

Ditch the 2-barrel and the carb. Buy a new Holley 670 Street Avenger and an Edelbrock Performer RPM.

A 400 is basically a larger bore 383 with low compression. You can definitely go too big, again I say the second Voodoo cam from the smallest would do all right.

Get your exhaust system right. If you can't find HP exhaust manifolds for it you can use the low perf ones but go to 2 1/2" system from manifold to rear end, using two Dynomax 17748 or 17749 Hemi Turbos. Be sure to put in an H-pipe, that's a pipe connecting the exhaust pipes to each other, should be the same diameter and as far forward as will fit.

With all my changes you'll pick up at least 50 hp with no decrease in fuel mileage, probably an increase. The car will feel completely different. It's amazing what a simple 4-barrel swap can do.

R.

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/24/12 07:11 PM

Quote:

The '73 is BUILT rich, the 2-barrel is choking the engine.

Ditch the 2-barrel and the carb. Buy a new Holley 670 Street Avenger and an Edelbrock Performer RPM.

A 400 is basically a larger bore 383 with low compression. You can definitely go too big, again I say the second Voodoo cam from the smallest would do all right.

Get your exhaust system right. If you can't find HP exhaust manifolds for it you can use the low perf ones but go to 2 1/2" system from manifold to rear end, using two Dynomax 17748 or 17749 Hemi Turbos. Be sure to put in an H-pipe, that's a pipe connecting the exhaust pipes to each other, should be the same diameter and as far forward as will fit.

With all my changes you'll pick up at least 50 hp with no decrease in fuel mileage, probably an increase. The car will feel completely different. It's amazing what a simple 4-barrel swap can do.

R.

Thank you so much.
But will 670 not be too big for the engine?
And the intake - Edel brock rpm will be better than weiand with the Holley carb?

Hemi

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/24/12 07:39 PM

So, what should i choose?

carb: Holley 570 or 670?

Intake manifold: Weiand 8008 or Edelbrock performer?

Thanks,

Hemi

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/25/12 05:03 PM

Quote:

The compression ratio is 8.2, rear end 2.71.

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 08/26/12 12:58 AM

Performer and 570 if you are keeping the 2.71 gears.

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 10/15/12 07:12 PM

So, at last I bought a 670 street avenger holley carb along with weiand action plus intake manifold and a new mopar performance ignition kit and new plugs. Now it's time to put all them on :-)

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 10/15/12 08:40 PM

Quote:

and a new mopar performance ignition kit

If it comes with an orange box I would suggest keeping a spare 4 pin ECU in the glove box. Your parts house has em for cheap. I'm assuming you already have electronic ign. I'd get a hotter coil/ballast. I use a FBO coil and MP 1/4 ohm ballast and OE ECU & it starts/runs awesome. the power is pretty much from the coil/ballast combo & not the coil primary switcher (ECU) but people are raving about FBO's new ECU. EDIT If needed there is a pentastar ECU harness/pigtail assy for $28 in the BB for sale section page 6 which may or may not come with the 2 terminal nominal 1.25 ohm ballast but was not shown in the pic
Posted By: dogdays

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 10/15/12 10:32 PM

Where are you located? I reread the entire thread and have a feeling that you're not in the USA, making parts a little harder to find.
R.

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 10/16/12 05:30 PM

Quote:

Where are you located? I reread the entire thread and have a feeling that you're not in the USA, making parts a little harder to find.
R.

I am located in Israel :-)

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 10/16/12 05:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and a new mopar performance ignition kit

If it comes with an orange box I would suggest keeping a spare 4 pin ECU in the glove box. Your parts house has em for cheap. I'm assuming you already have electronic ign. I'd get a hotter coil/ballast. I use a FBO coil and MP 1/4 ohm ballast and OE ECU & it starts/runs awesome. the power is pretty much from the coil/ballast combo & not the coil primary switcher (ECU) but people are raving about FBO's new ECU. EDIT If needed there is a pentastar ECU harness/pigtail assy for $28 in the BB for sale section page 6 which may or may not come with the 2 terminal nominal 1.25 ohm ballast but was not shown in the pic

This is the set i bought. It comes with a new resistor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-3690427

What is ECU?

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 10/16/12 11:51 PM

Quote:

What is ECU?

Electronic Control Unit, the orange box in the pic. EDIT you'll have the 1.25 ohm resistor in that kit. I'm assuming you have an OE 5 pin ECU and 4 terminal (dual) ballast. You can pull the dual OE ballast & plug in your new ballast to the 2 connectors that were on the lower ohm side of the "dual" ballast. This's let you use your wiring unaltered if desired & if the orange box fails you can easily plug the 5 pin ECU/4 terminal dual ballast back in.

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 12/29/12 05:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What is ECU?

Electronic Control Unit, the orange box in the pic. EDIT you'll have the 1.25 ohm resistor in that kit. I'm assuming you have an OE 5 pin ECU and 4 terminal (dual) ballast. You can pull the dual OE ballast & plug in your new ballast to the 2 connectors that were on the lower ohm side of the "dual" ballast. This's let you use your wiring unaltered if desired & if the orange box fails you can easily plug the 5 pin ECU/4 terminal dual ballast back in.

Thank you so much.
Yesterday the new set was installed. The guy who did the work said there is no need to replace the resistor and the old one was not replaced. Is it true or should i replace the resistor as well? I feel a slight difference in the ignition and throttle response now.

Thanks,

Hemi

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 12/29/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

Yesterday the new set was installed. The guy who did the work said there is no need to replace the resistor and the old one was not replaced. Is it true or should i replace the resistor as well?

You have the orange box in & kept the original 4 terminal (dual) ballast? did you get the orange box by itself or the kit which would have included the 1.25 (nominal) ohm (single) 2 terminal ballast? The 4 terminal OE dual ballast has a nominal ohm rating of .5 ohm on the run side and 5 ohms on the start side and the last high miles one I checked had 1.6 ohms on the run side and 6 ohms on the start side (the start side is of no consequence with a 4 pin ECU as it ain't used on a 4 pin (orange) box but the 1.6 ohms on the run side is too much & costs performance. One end of the 4 terminal dual ballast harness has a blue loop and I put a loop on the other end to make a parallel circuit on the 4 terminal ballast in effect to make it a 2 terminal single ballast like what comes in the MP kit & the ohms dropped to 1.1 ohms which is acceptable. If you have the kit with the single ballast & an a VOM I'd ohm them all & holler with what you come up with & we'll go from there
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 12/29/12 09:53 PM

If it were mine; i think I would find a cheap used stock Mopar iron 4 barrel intake, or if not then a performer intake, and swap it along with a thermoquad carb, and dual exhausts. Relatively easy changes to make without trying to get too much out of a smog engine. Those should make a nice difference. Then maybe eventually 3.23 gears to liven it up even more

Btw, beautiful car!
Posted By: radar

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 12/30/12 12:24 AM

So how does it feel now?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 12/30/12 12:41 AM

Quote:

If it were mine; i think I would find a cheap used stock Mopar iron 4 barrel intake, or if not then a performer intake, and swap it along with a thermoquad carb, and dual exhausts. Relatively easy changes to make without trying to get too much out of a smog engine. Those should make a nice difference. Then maybe eventually 3.23 gears to liven it up even more

Btw, beautiful car!

I'm assuming the supply of used american car parts in Israel is sketchy at best but a stock iron intake with a Thermoquad and a set of 2.5" duals with an H-pipe and good mufflers will wake it right up.

Another cheap but somewhat time consuming mod would be to get a roller 9 way key timing chain set, a degree wheel kit and advance the cam that is in it 4 degrees. That will increase bottom end torque and with the actual compression ratio being in the 7's:1 range, (the manual lied lol) you can use all the help you can get.

Oh by the way, nice car.

Kevin
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 12/30/12 08:30 AM

Wow that car is beautiful! My first car was a 73 Fury III two door 360 2bbl. Since you already have the carb & intake I suggest a true dual exhaust and rear end gears. Assuming it is an 8-3/4" then you could run 3.23, 3.55 or higher. It all depends on what you want to do with the car and how much money you have for expensive Israeli gasoline. 3.23's are probably a good choice and easier to find + don't forget to change your speedometer gear. You might also consider a K&N air filter in any cheap air cleaner you can find (open of course). You don't have to replace the ballast resistor, just keep an extra one in your car. If it won't start all of a sudden, that's most likely the problem (they burn out a lot)
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 12/30/12 03:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

did you have the open or dual plane SD? i was talking about the low profile dual plane

I didn't know there was a DP SD!!!!

Re: '73 Fury upgrade - asking for help and recommendations - 12/30/12 04:18 PM

Quote:

I didn't know there was a DP SD!!!!

me neither
© 2024 Moparts Forums