Moparts

Piston question

Posted By: whitemtnelf

Piston question - 11/07/08 07:56 PM

I just bought a set of used 440 pistons : TRW L2266 .030 over. The seller didn't disclose that one of the pistons looks like something nasty fell into the cylinder. It has a lot of pock marks and 2 gouges about 1/16 that have burrs. Is this piston usable, can it be reconditioned, and if not can I still purchase on of these?
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Piston question - 11/07/08 08:22 PM

What does the seller say NOW about the undisclosed damage? Is this damage just on the top ?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Piston question - 11/07/08 10:50 PM

post a(closeup) pic if the damage
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Piston question - 11/07/08 11:08 PM

If it's that bad you could always buy ONE new piston. Probably about 45 bucks for a piston like that if it's not salvageable. I agree, he should have disclosed.

I've always wondered about used pistons, are they safe to use? I can see ones used with floating pins being okay for reuse, but what about ones used w/ pressed pins? With the heat that area is under then the pin is pressed in the rod and all...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Piston question - 11/07/08 11:16 PM

myself I would not be comfortable with used pistons but I see them regularly for sale. The machine shop has to have the fixture that goes in & supports the bottom side of the rod small end other wise the bottom of the piston would likely be damaged when pressing the pin with everything bearing down on the bottom( the side actually) of the piston
Posted By: whitemtnelf

Re: Piston question - 11/08/08 12:43 AM

I'll get a pic up tomorrow. The damage is only on the top. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Piston question - 11/08/08 04:56 AM

hi
you are prob safe as i have used those pistons and they are a very strong forging and are app 1/2 in thick in the tops.

just check that the damage hasent caused a tight top ring land , if it has you can recondition it .

Posted By: dogdays

Re: Piston question - 11/09/08 04:32 PM

They are Speed-Pro forgings, weigh a ton and I'd measure the dinged-up one and use it if there was no noticeable distortion at the piston crown diameter.

Or go to any parts store or Summit/Jegs and buy a single, they're still in production.

This is my place to say they weigh a ton and there are better pistons out there from a weight point of view. But since you have them go for it.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums