Moparts

e body steering column slop?

Posted By: 71_dramaqueen

e body steering column slop? - 07/29/12 08:22 PM

I'm trying to track down about 15deg of play in the steering on an ebody. Everything is new (ball joints, arms, pwr steering box). Do the ebody columns have any internal connection that can wear and produce slop in the steering? The pot joint just got rebuilt and it is not causing it as far as i can tell.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/29/12 08:49 PM

You sure the you have the shoes installed properly in the "pot joint"?
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/29/12 11:23 PM

Quote:

You sure the you have the shoes installed properly in the "pot joint"?

That was my first guess too. The guy that replaced my power steering box put them in wrong and I had to pull the column and fix it myself.

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/30/12 09:34 PM

I dont believe it is the pot joint. The company that makes the box also suggested i check the shoes as they could have been put in sideways. I cannot see a movement discrepancy between the shaft and pot. I also can put my hand on them while the wheel is being rocked and not feel any slack.
Posted By: burdar

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/30/12 10:06 PM

Have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth while you go under the car and put your hand on each suspension connection.

Make sure the steering box mounts on the K-member aren't broken. The factory welding job was poor.

There is some adjustment in the steering box. You loosen a jamb nut and use an allen wrench to adjust. The procedure should be in the FSM.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/30/12 10:17 PM

There is a slip joint for the column to colapse but the design is such that slop isn't likely & 15 degrees isn't possible... If it's not in the coupler than my next question is are you sure it's in the column & not the box? And if it could be in the box are you checking with the engine off or the engine running? Cause engine off means you'll feel lots of what you perceive as slop but actually is the control valve opening a fluid passage in either direction....

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/30/12 11:17 PM

Quote:

There is a slip joint for the column to colapse but the design is such that slop isn't likely & 15 degrees isn't possible... If it's not in the coupler than my next question is are you sure it's in the column & not the box? And if it could be in the box are you checking with the engine off or the engine running? Cause engine off means you'll feel lots of what you perceive as slop but actually is the control valve opening a fluid passage in either direction....

How much play could the slip joint cause? It could it be adding to a problem elsewhere. How hard is it to check this if i pull the column?
And yes I do have it running while I check. With the car on the ground I can look from above and see the pot connector (and splined connection to box) move about 1/8 of a turn back and forth before seeing the steering arm wiggle. This does not seem right to me.
Welds are sold on the mount, I may try the gear adjustment as a last resort before pulling this NEW box.

-thanks for the advice
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/30/12 11:40 PM

To isolate if the slop is in the column or elsewhere use a par of jumbo channel locks grab the coupler pot with the jaws & lock the handle against the inner fender, while holding the channel locks have an assistant feel the steering wheel for slop... It should be pretty obvious if there is a problem or not....
Posted By: stumpy

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/30/12 11:46 PM

Even new boxes may need a bit of adjustment.
Posted By: ahy

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/31/12 12:24 AM

For power steering are you testing with engine running? PS boxes with no power can feel sloppy but OK with the pump running.
Posted By: JohnH

Re: e body steering column slop? - 07/31/12 12:31 AM

I installed my shoes in wrong, and had to re fix it.. Had the same problem as you have now..
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/01/12 01:26 AM

Get rid of that pot and put in a Flaming River coupler.

All the difference in the world.
Posted By: Shatar4

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/01/12 02:17 AM

Quote:

What's the part number for that?

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/01/12 04:22 PM

Hmmm I like that u-joint type. Second on the part #. I did put the shoes in right but the design inherently has a little slack.
So indeed after more diagnosis it is my NEW firm Feel box causing all the slop. I wonder if the warranty covers the many hours of cursing with the starter, headers and motor to get it out?........NOT
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/01/12 04:48 PM

Quote:

Hmmm I like that u-joint type. Second on the part #. I did put the shoes in right but the design inherently has a little slack.
So indeed after more diagnosis it is my NEW firm Feel box causing all the slop. I wonder if the warranty covers the many hours of cursing with the starter, headers and motor to get it out?........NOT

It's not Firm Feels fault, I'd bet a 1000 bucks their box is tight. I'd also bet a 1000 bucks you have the coupler togeather wrong.

Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/01/12 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What's the part number for that?

That is what I did on my 70 Challenger when i went to a custom made tubular column.
Posted By: bigtail

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/01/12 07:54 PM

Part number is FR1506P. Bought one for my Challenger, but haven't installed it yet. New Firm Feel box, Stage 2 also not yet installed.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/01/12 09:29 PM

was there a little flat spring that held the little shoes out to full extension?
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/02/12 12:08 AM

Here check this out.

Power steering and tubular A arms
Posted By: bigtail

Re: e body steering column slop? - 08/02/12 02:34 AM

One major reason that I haven't installed the Flaming River u-joint, is that they don't tell you until after you buy it that it is NOT A SIMPLE BOLT IN DEAL. you have to cut your steering shaft off by 1 1/2" to install it on a factory power steering set up. I'm going to eventually replace my motor, and while that is being done, re-weld the K member and install the Firm Feel power unit all at the same time. No sense in doing things three times when you can do it all at once.
© 2024 Moparts Forums