Moparts

Odd Ring Gear Question

Posted By: Jwilli500

Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 03:26 AM

Is the ring gear on a 727 torque converter the same diameter as the ring gear on a manual trans flywheel?
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 03:38 AM

Shouldn't be because there are two multiple flywheel sizes that are matched to a bell housing size.

The torque converters should share the same diameter though.

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 03:49 AM

Ooops! I guess I should have specified a 130 tooth, 10.5 clutch version of the manual trans flywheel! Thanks John.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 05:58 AM

Quote:

Ooops! I guess I should have specified a 130 tooth, 10.5 clutch version of the manual trans flywheel! Thanks John.

Count the teeth on your converter ring gear

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 07:28 PM

Thanks guys! The reason I'm asking about this is that I am thinking of building an engine run stand. I can get(read I have) an empty auto case a lot cheaper than a manual bell housing. If the flywheel would work in it, that would make things easier, and cheaper. Just thinking out loud a bit...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 10:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys! The reason I'm asking about this is that I am thinking of building an engine run stand. I can get(read I have) an empty auto case a lot cheaper than a manual bell housing. If the flywheel would work in it, that would make things easier, and cheaper. Just thinking out loud a bit...

You aren't the first to think like that. The questioned was posed to me by someone wanting to do the same thing , I haven't looked into it though.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 10:19 PM

727's have a 130-tooth ring gear.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 11:25 PM

Quote:

John, We need to help and teach people to think, not give them the answer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/29/12 11:54 PM

Ten fingers, ten toes...does not equate.

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/30/12 02:42 AM

Dang Cab! Here I was going to try a different approach and just measure the diameter of a torque coverter out in my shop and compare it to the diameter of the flywheel listed on 440 Source! It's a little warm here this weekend for me to get out on my walker. I just thought maybe someone knew the answer off the top of their head. Thanks for teaching me how to fish.
Quote:

Quote:

Re: Odd Ring Gear Question - 07/30/12 02:45 AM

Thank You John!
Quote:

© 2024 Moparts Forums