Moparts

Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum

Posted By: rabid scott

Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 05:26 AM

So I've been commuting in my '70 Challenger, after getting off the backroads into town I was leaving a stop sign at low engine speed when it started ticking... Look at the gauge... Oh no!! 0 PSI! Shut it off and rolled to the side of the road...

Checked the dipstick, oil looks black but its there, no metal that I could see. Fired it back up just in case the oil had moved away from the pickup.... still no pressure. Runs great though!

Engine is a stock internally 1968 440 Magnum, headers, intake, Mallory distributor. I added the Mopar Performance high volume spring to the oil pump when it was out of the car.

Tranny is a aluminum flywheel, Centerforce dual friction clutch, A833 OD.

Guesses?

I'm guessing (and hoping) its the oil pump and I didn't damage anything. Do oil pumps just "go bad"? Maybe the pressure spring broke?

What else could it be?

Attached picture 7300158-photo.JPG
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 05:53 AM

Valve stuck open in the oil pump or the oil pump driveshaft broke off.

Sheldon
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 06:02 AM

Or you popped a lifter out.... The pick up tube could have broken.. But yeah the relief valve or the drive shaft failed...
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 06:18 AM

Quote:

Or you popped a lifter out.... The pick up tube could have broken.. But yeah the relief valve or the drive shaft failed...

I vote one of these for sure, with broken oil pump driveshaft being my #1 most likely.

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I vote one of these for sure, with broken oil pump driveshaft being my #1 most likely.

Okay, I'll check the driveshaft first!

How do I check the pressure relief valve in the oil pump?

I doubt it's a lifter because it still runs good, just makes a racket!

Thanks a ton guys!!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 06:36 AM

Twisted the hex drive off the intermediate shaft.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 06:43 AM

Quote:

Yeah. if the reg valve sticks open, there's still some pressure, increasing as you (ballsily) rev it.

Running a Mopar without the MP tapered / pinned shaft is like f****** the neighborhood ***** w/o a condom. Sooner or later...

Rick
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 07:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah. if the reg valve sticks open, there's still some pressure, increasing as you (ballsily) rev it.

Running a Mopar without the MP tapered / pinned shaft is like f****** the neighborhood ***** w/o a condom. Sooner or later...

Rick

Funny, the only one I ever had fail was a brand new MP part...... Took the pump off, found the broken tip, spun the pump with the original OE shaft to make sure the pump wasn't binding, replaced the new MP shaft with the OE shaft & never had another problem....

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 07:37 AM

Well, I hope it's just the shaft and the rest of the engine is still solid. Glad it didn't happen at 6500rpm!!

Thanks a ton guys!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 12:05 PM

I had a 400 in my Chrysler do the same thing.Pulled the pump and the drive was good.The pump took a crap.Was exactly like yours.Replaced the pump changed oil and filter and all was good.Rocky
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Lost all Oil Pressure today... 440 Magnum - 07/20/12 12:40 PM

Mine did same..cam lobe wore down and pushrod came out causing "0" oil pressure.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums