Moparts

Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner?

Posted By: dogdays

Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/18/12 07:26 PM

I've got a stack of dirty carbs that are about worthless if I don't clean them up. My last 5-gallon bucket of carb cleaner, you remember the stinky stuff that burned when it touched your skin, is about used up. Plus it contains at least two different known carcinogens.

Looking around I find three: Berryman, Gunk, and CRC parts c;leaner fluid. Any suggestions or favorites?

Thanks,
R.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/18/12 07:39 PM

I like this stuff, same as the old stuff. Sealed in with water on top.

Nasty as hell but have never found anything better.
I have reused this stuff about 8 times so far, I did my carb wth it last fall. 50 bucks a gallon from the auto paint store. You will never find it at the hardware store I don't think.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/18/12 08:30 PM

Even though it's not as potent as it used to be, I think the Berrymans Parts Dip is the best for carbs, etc.
Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/18/12 08:33 PM

For some kinds of gunk, I find brake cleaner works a ton better than parts cleaner. I try a blast of both and sometimes some cheapo no-name brake cleaner blasts away stuff I'd have to scrub off with a dip or carb spray.

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/18/12 09:14 PM

If I started buying spray cans I'd most likely spend more than the $100 or so for the big bucket.
R.
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/19/12 12:22 AM

Berrymans Chem Dip
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/19/12 05:26 AM

Quote:

Berrymans Chem Dip

Posted By: moparjo68

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/19/12 06:35 AM

For years I have used and re-used the Gunk brand carb cleaner. I think it retails now for $20 bucks for about a gal. I like the results or wouldn't keep using it.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/19/12 07:51 AM

Its 17.00 per gallon for the refils for the 5 gallon bucket of the Berrymans B-12. so around 60.00 for 3 gallons, which should be enough for your bucket with the basket. tim
Posted By: beedees

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/19/12 08:26 AM

I use a cleaner called Awesome, get it at the Dollar Store. At $2.00 a quart, it can't be beat and works great. Won't burn your skin or stink the place up.
Posted By: GreenGlow

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 07/19/12 02:37 PM

A new version of the spray gun cleaner is Omni MS251 gun cleaning solvent you can get it from your PPG auto paint dealer. Be careful with that stuff it's addicting I have a 1-2 gallon a month habbit. That stuff works on everything makes old rubber trim parts look like new, removes overspray, road tar, etc etc etc and it's a great carb clener too. It costs about $15 a gallon.
Posted By: A990

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 08/14/12 10:27 PM

What about denatured alcohol? I like how the stuff evaporates without leaving a residue (I use it as paint prep wipe)
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 08/14/12 11:10 PM

I used to use that oh so caustic Berrymans Chem Dip that I cannot stand the sight of the can anymore. Heck, my whole entire shop still reeks of the stuff after it ate the bottom of the can out and made a mess on the floor. I've heard the newer isn't so bad?

I did just pick up a gallon of the NAPA brand carb cleaner for $20. Who knows? Maybe Berrymans makes it for NAPA? Anyway, so far the NAPA stuff works great for what I'm doing and isn't nearly as bad as the old Chem Dip.

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 08/15/12 04:02 PM

Thanks, guys. I won't be using the paint gun cleaner, I live out in the boonies and it's hard to find. My choices are NAPA and Berryman's, right now the Berrymans is leading by $20. If I get something that I don't like I'll let you know.

R.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 08/15/12 06:06 PM

Quote:

I use a cleaner called Awesome, get it at the Dollar Store. At $2.00 a quart, it can't be beat and works great. Won't burn your skin or stink the place up.

Never thought of it as a parts cleaner, but I don't know why. It cleaned everything I've ever sprayed it on.
Posted By: 72blubird

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 08/15/12 06:12 PM

B-12 ChemtoolŪ Carburetor, Choke and Throttle Body Cleaner
works good got it at O'rielly's

Attached picture 7336321-0117.gif
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 08/15/12 06:17 PM

Methylene chloride was the active ingredient is those foul smelling carb cleaners, you know the ones that actually work. Pretty hard to find anymore short of a chem supply.

Kevin
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 08/15/12 07:06 PM

Quote:

Methylene chloride was the active ingredient is those foul smelling carb cleaners, you know the ones that actually work. Pretty hard to find anymore short of a chem supply.

Kevin

Spray gun cleaner like I pictured above is the same as the old carb cleaner.

I have a retail grill shop, sell grills and pool supplys. We also recondition grills, many. We used to use a 55 gallon drum of that stuff to dip tops and bottems of aluminum grill shells in. Then pull them out AND PRESSURE WASH THEM CLEAN. So about the caps, got gloves on in the truck shop right now.
This was about 15 years ago, now we just use a pressure washer, but boy did that stuff work. Went through many drums of it.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Favorite Carb/Parts Cleaner? - 08/15/12 07:24 PM

Quote:

Kevin

The real stinky component of that good carb dip was cresylic acid, plus creosols and rosin soap. Sold a lot of it when I used to have a Safety Klean route. They definitely have changed the formula to remove most of the nasty components. In my print shop days we used to get straight 100% methylene Chloride in gallon cans. Evaporated so fast on a rag that ice crystals would form. Great stuff but 30 years later and I wonder about my liver...lol...look up the MSDS info on Methylene Chloride and Cresylic acid and you'll know why. Nasty stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums