Moparts

Summit Universal Radiators

Posted By: mopowers

Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 04:46 PM

How's have you guys mounted the bottom of your universal radiators? Does anyone have any pictures? Should you sandwich some rubber or poly in between, or can it be solidly mounted?
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 05:24 PM

Mine

Attached picture 4794369-P9250017.JPG
Posted By: fbernard

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 07:21 PM

I have the exact same radiator (or the 31"-wide version). But I can't weld aluminum.

So what I did was build a rail (with a 30" piece of U-shaped aluminum) that fits inside the U-shaped underside of the rad. That rail bolts to the lower rad support with 2 L-shaped brackets. Felt liner alonside the rail.
Two aluminum brackets riveted on top of the radiator bolt through the upper rad support (in existing holes). I had to add a small piece of tubing as a filler between the top of the rad and the upper rad support (to prevent air to flow around the rad there), so the two brackets are riveted to that filler, whish is itself riveted to the rad core's top.

Here's a pic of the rail :

Attached picture 4794555-LowerRadSupport.jpg

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 07:24 PM

Second pic, the radiator in place (it's mostly held in by the inner fender flanges that I had to grind to make the 31" radiator fit) :

Attached picture 4794561-Radiator.jpg

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 07:26 PM

Third, the upper brackets (circled in yellow). I know the red wires look ugly, but they've since been recovered in black.

Attached picture 4794564-RadBrackets.jpg

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 08:38 PM

I can't weld either. But a guy near me can, and it cost me all of $50.00 to weld the mounting tabs on the radiator AND repair a cracked 727 case, machining and all!
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 09:37 PM

This is a afco instructions said to mount by the tanks with rubber or weatherstrip lined brackets. I used some late model GM radiator rubber mount pieces trimed a bit and attached to some homemade metal brackets.

Attached picture 4794780-DCFN0008.JPG

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 09:39 PM

No bottom pics but the same set up .

Attached picture 4794785-DCFN0009.JPG

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 09:41 PM

I dont run a shroud but has not been a problem.

Attached picture 4794797-DCFN0001.JPG
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 10:48 PM

I have "be-cool" brackets for a 22" support that i bought from summit. local metal shop tigged them to the radiator, rounded the corners, and added a drain to the bottom of the tank.

Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/05/08 11:11 PM

I spent a couple of bucks and bout their universal mounting kit. The tops are GM style so they got tossed, but the bottoms are J-brackets which work great. Came with that one-sticky-sided foam insulating strip that I stuck on, then bolted them to the car and slide the radiator into it. Could make similar J-brackets out of aluminum stock.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 01:09 AM

Did you already buy it? I bought a aluminum 26" on e-bay that has factory mounting tabs and shrod placement for $189. It fits very well. I will be adding some rubber under it when the engine goes in. It also has factory in and outlets and trans line placement
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 02:14 AM

Quote:

Did you already buy it? I bought a aluminum 26" on e-bay that has factory mounting tabs and shrod placement for $189. It fits very well. I will be adding some rubber under it when the engine goes in. It also has factory in and outlets and trans line placement

Do you have a link to the one you snagged ??? thanks

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 02:21 AM

Did you put the J brackets under the tanks, or under the core?
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 03:08 AM

Quote:

Did you put the J brackets under the tanks, or under the core?

Tanks - the core is completely exposed by the radiator supports original opening in my case. It slipped in nice and tight. The black strip between the radiator and support in this pic is the long side, mounted to one of the factory bolt holes...

Attached picture 4795588-oil002.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 03:56 PM

Go in the archives under no weld raditor mounts posted by me. I don't know how to pull it up and post here. There are good pictures of simple,clean mounts.
Doug
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 05:07 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post4409252

You should save this for the next time someone asks
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 05:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you have a link to the one you snagged ??? thanks

Actually I won it at 170! Here's his store

http://stores.ebay.com/OSCARS-RADIATORS_...52BSI%26otn%3D4
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 05:26 PM

I found that there are some Ford brackets with rubber inserts that work well. I did some modifications to them. I used the same brackets shown here on the top, but actualy welded to the lower rad support.

Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/06/08 06:14 PM

Since the rest of my car basically looks like poop I didn't spend a ton of time trying to make mine look pretty, however I did make it functional with a little bracket holding a couple relays for the fan, but again nothing fancy.

I don't use that fan setup anymore though...

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/07/08 03:16 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. The thing is, I don't have a radiator core support to work with. I made my front end removable. Now I just need to fab up a mounting system for the radiator so it stays with the car when I take the front end off.

Do you guys think I should make a lower crossmember for the radiator removable, or weld it in???

Here is what I'm working with.

Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/07/08 06:34 AM

I would weld the rad support back in for some piece of mind in structural rigidity. And have somewhere nice to hold the rad.

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/07/08 09:44 AM

Time to drag out the old magazines and books. Hot rodders and racers have been dealing with this sort of radiator issue for decades, just look to see what others have done. This is nothing new...
Posted By: Mr500_wedge

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/07/08 09:51 AM

my summit radiator.

Attached picture 4798018-DSC00311.JPG
Posted By: Cudahlr

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/09/08 11:53 PM

Here's mine I had a friend weld a flat piece of aluminum on the back of the tank, and then I bolted it to the core support. Very easy and simple.

Attached picture 4802899-rightradiator.jpg
Posted By: Cudahlr

Re: Summit Universal Radiators - 11/09/08 11:54 PM

Drivers side.

Attached picture 4802903-leftradiator.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums