Moparts

Dual feild alternator ?

Posted By: fuseable

Dual feild alternator ? - 07/15/12 01:10 PM

When converting a 69 and earlier car to a Dual field alternator I know that you must ground 1 field to use with an old style regulator. Is there any benefit to switching to a newer dual field regulator when doing this swap, (I already have an newer solid state regulator for the older single field alt?)
Posted By: ahy

Re: Dual feild alternator ? - 07/15/12 01:19 PM

As I understand it, the dual field setup provides steadier voltage regulation to support the electronic ignition introduced in the early 70's.

That said, folks who have switched to a square back and grounded one field wire seem to have good results as long as a newer electronic type regulator is used.

I don't know of a strong reason to go to the dual field regulator. Either way works.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Dual feild alternator ? - 07/15/12 02:41 PM

Quote:

Is there any benefit to switching to a newer dual field regulator when doing this swap, (I already have an newer solid state regulator for the older single field alt?)

You're in good shape. FYI the flat later reg will nestle neatly into the recess where the old "box" reg mounts if you trim the mounting ears on the sides and redrill one of the holes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums