Moparts

Torqueflite 727 question???

Posted By: mkbubs

Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/11/12 03:23 AM

i am wanting to put an aftermarket shifter in my car, B&M, Hurst kind of thing. i dont want shifter for the strip, what im looking for is one for the street. Something that is not real agressive. Any ideas on what kind of shifter i should look at? Any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/11/12 03:32 AM

There are a lot of basic shifters made by Hurst, B&M and others. Jegs and Summit will carry what you need. I don't know what you mean by agressive but it sounds like you want to stay away from ratchet shifters etc. B&M sport or Hurst promatic are good inexpensive shifters.
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/11/12 04:08 AM

I tossed a B&M QuickSilver shifter into my M-body...it's a ratchet when needed..otherwise, it stays in D.
Posted By: bigtail

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/12/12 10:48 PM

Curious why you want an aftermarket shifter? Some people swear by them. Some people swear at them. Have you seen the threads on cable routing, cable lentgh, and getting shifter aligned? Food for thought. Good luck.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/12/12 10:57 PM

what is this going in? are you looking for old skool looks or more modern? as stated above, whats wrong with something stock?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/12/12 11:08 PM

Quote:

Curious why you want an aftermarket shifter? Some people swear by them. Some people swear at them. Have you seen the threads on cable routing, cable lentgh, and getting shifter aligned? Food for thought. Good luck.

AMEN! brother. I still have not got the hurst promatic shifter adjusted dead on yet and will be going back to the stock colum shifter on my 88 440 truck.

I like the 4-speed t-handle look of it,like how it works,but what a PITA! for me to get adjusted. seems to have a 1/8" play in the cable itself that I can get to shift down good but not upshift good or vise-versa

Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/14/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

AMEN! brother. I still have not got the hurst promatic shifter adjusted dead on yet and will be going back to the stock colum shifter on my 88 440 truck.

I like the 4-speed t-handle look of it,like how it works,but what a PITA! for me to get adjusted. seems to have a 1/8" play in the cable itself that I can get to shift down good but not upshift good or vise-versa

Often its that the throw of the shifter does not equal the throw of the trans lever. The length of the shift lever on the trans could vary.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/14/12 05:12 PM

Most shifters come with a matching trans lever.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/14/12 09:06 PM

There are about of 4 of us here that have about 15 + years on the Pro-matics with absolutely 0 problems. Never had a any problems getting adjusted either.
Posted By: 2Red2LoudDodge

Re: Torqueflite 727 question??? - 07/15/12 07:36 PM

Replaced a B&M ratchet shifter after the cable melted four times from stop and go summer driving. Installed a Lokar floor mount shifter that uses mechanical linkage. Looks old school when combined with same boot and trim ring used on a non console shifted '68 Mopar. Can't attach pictures but will gladly email if interested.
© 2024 Moparts Forums