Moparts

heat riser passage block off methods

Posted By: dave571

heat riser passage block off methods - 07/09/12 05:59 PM

Interested in what has worked for others.

Application is an iron 383 manifold

I've been contemplating using large quantities of JB weld.

I know they make a gasket that does it, but it'll take too long to get.

Share your story

Thanks
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/09/12 06:02 PM

Kind of hate to admit it but, I used the ends off a string bean can the first time. Which was about 45 years ago.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/09/12 10:47 PM

wadded up ball of aluminum foil
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/10/12 01:22 PM

Quote:

wadded up ball of aluminum foil

I have a buddy do this on his 400 just a couple weeks ago, he was tuning it as it had developed a miss... must have been the shreded alum foil that was being spit out the open header.

yes,he has the heads off now doing a VJ on them.

***best way on a BB is to get the felpro HP valley pan with the heat blocked off and use the 4 thin gaskets with it.***

on my SB I have used soup can lids to cut patches out. the MP-block offs are a tad to thick and mine intake bolts kept comeing loose.

I have some thin metal block offs on there now from a radio cover/shell and the 440 has the felpro HP valley pan.

results vary,good luck.

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/10/12 01:26 PM

In a pinch I made little covers from some brass shim stock and have used pieces from an old valley tray , put them in the little recess where the opening is and it worked fine . I don't think run of the mill JB weld will survive in that spot but I have never tried it. .
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/10/12 01:27 PM

turn it off, turn it on.

Attached picture 7285654-100_0288.jpg
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/10/12 02:23 PM

Is that something you made, Lewis? If so, what do you have in mind for connecting to it?
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/10/12 02:34 PM

Mopar Performance had offered an intake manifold gasket with two thick (.040-.050) shims to block the heat crossover on small blocks.

I never used this kit due the the shims being so thick. What I do is find a large aerosol can and cut my own shims. The ones I have used where about .011 thick. I have done this MANY times and never had a problem.

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/10/12 05:50 PM

Quote:

Is that something you made, Lewis? If so, what do you have in mind for connecting to it?

i made it. i don't connect anything to it. just manually open and close as needed.

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/10/12 08:45 PM

Quote:

turn it off, turn it on.

now thats thrifty...

Posted By: IronWolf

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/10/12 10:22 PM

Balled up big wads of aluminum foil and stuffed them down in there. Crude and effective, kind of keeping with these old Mopars' spirit.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/11/12 12:22 AM

Thin aluminum plates epoxied to the heads is what I do if I don't Hard Bloc them shut
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/11/12 01:31 AM

I usually use JB Weld to close them up. Been running a Performer that way for about 10 years now.

Mix up half a tube each, pour it in one side, tape off the opening, set the intake so that the taped off opening is setting on the workbench, let it harden. Use the remaining JB Weld on the other side once side one is done, remove tape, install.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/11/12 01:35 AM

i jammed a ball of aluminum foil in it then topped it off with jb weld.
Posted By: dave571

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/12/12 11:19 PM

Some good ideas. thanks guys!

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/12/12 11:27 PM

Quote:

Balled up big wads of aluminum foil and stuffed them down in there. Crude and effective, kind of keeping with these old Mopars' spirit.

I remember someone on this board post about stuffing it with 100 dollor bills along with that alum foil,so it would pay hiim for the rebuilding of the heads.

ask my buddy that is waiting for his 4oo BB heads back from the machine shop after spitting the alum out the header collectors

results will vary.

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/13/12 12:45 AM

Watch it!!

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/13/12 01:03 PM

Quote:

I remember someone on this board post about stuffing it with 100 dollor bills along with that alum foil,so it would pay hiim for the rebuilding of the heads.

I remember that one too, and I've quoted that in threads like this. The original guy that said it I believe goes by the name 'Paymelater' or something like that, which is funny too.
Posted By: bfury

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/13/12 01:10 PM

Back in the day, we used to shove balls of aluminum foil into the head and then cover with a thin patch of sheet metal. Then we would wire the crossover valve in the manifold open or drill it out, tap the holes and put bolts in. Always worked fine. With todays gas, this is a must to do since the added heat evaporates the fuel.

Re: heat riser passage block off methods *DELETED* - 07/13/12 01:11 PM

Post deleted by tboomer
Posted By: Dan Halen

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/13/12 01:47 PM

I orderd the valley pan w/o the hole, but recieved with it. It was mislabled at the factory, so I cut a soda can with a pair of scissors, making 4 plugs to sandwich them on each side of the pan.
I held them together with RTV and sealed the perimiters.....works great!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/13/12 03:08 PM

My solution was a aftermarket manifold,and didn't even know. It is a victor340 manifold in my case. Has a built in air gap and no heat riser passages. Works really well on this motor and never boils the fuel. I have driven it in very hot conditions like 110+ degrees and it does great. No way can you leave them open nowadays with the crap gas I'm guessing. I wouldn't be afraid of using old soup cans or something like that.

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/13/12 04:03 PM

Quote:

I orderd the valley pan w/o the hole, but recieved with it. It was mislabled at the factory, so I cut a soda can with a pair of scissors, making 4 plugs to sandwich them on each side of the pan.
I held them together with RTV and sealed the perimiters.....works great!

I used a alum soda can,it burnt thru in short order. way to thin. may have better results with 2 stacked like that.

cut some from the old vally pan and rtv them in place on the head, then the install the gasket/pan/gasket/intake.
Posted By: Joesixpack

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/13/12 06:47 PM

i remember a story of Herb Mc Candles melting down old pistons and pouring it into heads to block off heat riser holes.....

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/13/12 10:48 PM

Quote:

i remember a story of Herb Mc Candles melting down old pistons and pouring it into heads to block off heat riser holes.....

people used to do that.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/14/12 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ask my buddy that is waiting for his 4oo BB heads back from the machine shop after spitting the alum out the header collectors

results will vary.

How does THAT happen? Seriously...
Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/14/12 02:15 AM

Here's a q - what's the effective difference of just wiring the riser valve wide open? Won't exhaust velocity take care of most of it?
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/14/12 02:23 AM

Quote:

Here's a q - what's the effective difference of just wiring the riser valve wide open? Won't exhaust velocity take care of most of it?

We're talking about the water crossover in the intake manifold...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/14/12 02:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No, no we are not
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/14/12 02:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Uhh, bigblocks have dry intakes...

Re: heat riser passage block off methods *DELETED* - 07/14/12 03:33 AM

Post deleted by moparts
Posted By: tboomer

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/14/12 03:36 AM

Enjoy your nice vacation...
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/14/12 04:46 AM

Quote:

Mopar Performance had offered an intake manifold gasket with two thick (.040-.050) shims to block the heat crossover on small blocks.

I never used this kit due the the shims being so thick. What I do is find a large aerosol can and cut my own shims. The ones I have used where about .011 thick. I have done this MANY times and never had a problem.

I used the MP block offs on my 360. Guess where all my oil was going? I pulled the intake and cut a recess in it for the plates. Glued them in with copper RTV. BTW the gasket they sell is a thin POS.

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/16/12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Thank, you, Mr Mod. We all have differences of opinion on things, but to say stuff like that over a crossover??? What's wrong with that guy???

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/16/12 01:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank, you, Mr Mod. We all have differences of opinion on things, but to say stuff like that over a crossover??? What's wrong with that guy???

got me?

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/16/12 01:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, but at this point, 35+ years later, most of them are probably frozen open already.

There's 2 parts to this system. The crossver between the heads that runs thru the intake (which we are discussing) and then the riser valve that reroutes the passenger-side exhaust thru that passage.

In my experience, having no riser valve still allows a lot of intake heating to occur.

I installed the blocked intake pan on one of my cars once and got a *terrible* resonance around 2000 RPM, couldn't even drive the car more than once. (2.5" X-pipe exhaust)

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/16/12 02:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but at this point, 35+ years later, most of them are probably frozen open already.

There's 2 parts to this system. The crossver between the heads that runs thru the intake (which we are discussing) and then the riser valve that reroutes the passenger-side exhaust thru that passage.

In my experience, having no riser valve still allows a lot of intake heating to occur.

I installed the blocked intake pan on one of my cars once and got a *terrible* resonance around 2000 RPM, couldn't even drive the car more than once. (2.5" X-pipe exhaust)

a old timer told me that the cross over also acts like a H-pipe to balance the exhast pulse from right bank to left bank with a single exhast. how true that is I dont know?

opinions? would it in fact do that?

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/16/12 03:30 PM

Quote:

a old timer told me that the cross over also acts like a H-pipe to balance the exhast pulse from right bank to left bank with a single exhast. how true that is I dont know?

opinions? would it in fact do that?

We can discuss opinions now that Iron Wolf can't hear us.

I've heard somehting like that, perhaps on here. It would stand to reason that an additional passage could change the resonance frequencies.

I don't know what a jumper tube between 2 pipes on a church organ would do, but it will surely do something.

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/16/12 05:29 PM

blocking the intake manifold heat cross over on a car with separate dual exhaust pipes, no "h" or "x", will have an effect on exhaust tone. i used to do this on my road runner back in the day. it had a pretty cool lope with a little bit of camshaft.

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/16/12 06:32 PM

Quote:

blocking the intake manifold heat cross over on a car with separate dual exhaust pipes, no "h" or "x", will have an effect on exhaust tone. i used to do this on my road runner back in the day. it had a pretty cool lope with a little bit of camshaft.

this has been my results also with my 85 truck/headers/duel glass packs also.
Posted By: 383man

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/17/12 12:01 AM

I always have my buddy weld them shut. No worry at all then. Ron
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/17/12 02:14 AM

I dug silicone out mine when I first took it apart. I couldn't tell you how long it was in there but it did do the job and was still pliable.
Posted By: bfury

Re: heat riser passage block off methods - 07/17/12 03:10 PM

If anyone wants the really involved nad probably the beat way to do this, check out webrodder.com. He has an article on this. It's an olds engine but it would work on a mopar.
© 2024 Moparts Forums