Moparts

Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer

Posted By: dg_dodge

Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/06/12 10:51 PM

Hi all,

I am planning on replacing a 1" aluminum carb spacer with a phenolic carb spacer on my 1970 440 w/ a stock intake manifold and 750 CFM Edelbrock carb. I have a couple of questions for those out there who have done this:

1. Does a stock 440 manifold use the "open" or 4- hole spacer? I think it's open, but don't have access to the car for awhile to check it.

2. Any recommendations on one that works well on dissipating heat? I see Summit sells their own model and also carries an Edelbrock brand. Any preference?

Thanks much for your help!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/06/12 10:54 PM

Use a 4 hole spacer, pick whichever you want.
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/06/12 11:08 PM

Edelbrock-Carter AFB's ONLY like the 4-holer. This per their own web site. This also from my own foolish experiences.

EDIT: The trick is to get the correct thickness spacer. Years ago at a swap meet, a vendor was selling 4 hole paper gaskets 1/4" thick. I bought 8 of them, and I use those to determine which thickness my particular engine needs by stacking them one at a time until I narrow it down. Three different engines, three different thicknesses.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/06/12 11:13 PM

I bought one off ebay (tho it's only 1/2"). Best price I could find. Link to the guy's ebay store is below.

Just get a 4 hole as advised, the 4 holes line up with the 4 butterflies on the carb. For my demon carb (big butterflies) I had to open up the holes a bit but it's easily done with sandpaper.

ebay link
Posted By: dg_dodge

Re: Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/06/12 11:56 PM

Thanks a lot guys! I'm glad I checked here first!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/07/12 03:32 AM

The Carter carb, AFB or AVS intake manifolds(1969 and earlier) have the four holes, the later Holley carb. intakes(1970-71) have two elongated holes, one on each side of the intake divider The later Thermoquad intakes are another story altogether I would use the open on the hooley type intakes and the four hole on the Carter type intakes
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/07/12 03:43 AM

Look at shear plates also, you can get them insulated and they work wonders. Tim
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/07/12 05:51 AM

Just make 1 out of wood, Hickory. Its a very hard wood. If you have a gasket you can make the spacer. Not hard to do and works great at insulating.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Question on Phenolic Carb Spacer - 07/07/12 01:32 PM

Insulating is one thing, but I can vouch for idle/driveability improvements with the cheap 1/2" 4 hole spacer. There are many reports of increased low end with the 4 hole.

When I put it on, I think the carb was getting a better signal and I was able to close the butterflies quite a bit. My engine has always had issues with idling as it's a big cam in a low compression engine. That's the reason I went with the mighty demon because it had the adjustable idle-eze. Adding the 4 hole really helped for both heat and carb function in my case.
© 2024 Moparts Forums