Moparts

Did I screw up??? Help with timing *DELETED*

Posted By: Alexdodge

Did I screw up??? Help with timing *DELETED* - 07/06/12 12:09 AM

Post deleted by Alexdodge
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 12:19 AM

turn the engine over until the damper is at TDC...does the rotor point at number 6...if so..just remove distributor and reset it pointing at number 1.

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 12:21 AM

I'll go try that now thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 01:47 AM

I believe the piston is not actually near TDC. If it was the timing marks on the dampener/timing tab would be within a degree or 2 of TDC unless the dampener has slipped and not likely for that to have happened. try again bumping the starter relay with a screwdriver while you hold your thumb over the #1 plug hole till you feel it pushing on your thumb AND the marks are getting close to TDC. Then continue to turn it clockwise till the marks are at 10 BTDC (mild cam) or 15 BTDC (wild cam) then line up the dist pickup magnet dead even with the reluctor tooth that places the rotor under the #1 plug wire location in the cap and the vac adv can in it's general correct location with room to be turned either way
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 01:52 AM

Stop using the starter and put a wrench on it instead.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 03:19 AM

more then likely went you aligned the dots on the cam/crank sprockets...you had the cam dot a 6 o'clock and the crank at 12 o'clock.. and then you installed the distributor...at the point the engine is on number 6 firing...remove distributor and rotate 180....pretty simple...10 minute job.

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 03:27 AM

I rolled the engine over again till it pushed my thumb off the plug hole and it still came up 180 out.I then rolled the motor over so the timing marks on the cover and on the damper match up. Then set the distributor so the rotor is looking at the number 1 plug. Won't be able to fire it up until tomorrow morning. Parts store gave my wrong plug wires.
Hope I did this the way you guys meant to do. Thanks guys!!!!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 12:46 PM

Small block big block??

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 03:44 PM

Big block. Problem solved thanks all!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Did I screw up??? Help with timing - 07/06/12 04:41 PM

what did you do that fixed it?
© 2024 Moparts Forums