Moparts

duster rear shock bolts

Posted By: Anonymous

duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 12:50 PM

I pulled the shock bolts off the old shocks to clean up and install new shocks yesterday. These are not just a regular bolt,and the threads were a litttle messed up,so I decided to replace them. No luck finding them. I used a thread chaser to clean up the threads,worked great. Now the nut on the shock side is trashed,apears to be of a softer alloy. Where can I get these? Or,where can I order complete new bolts? No luck at the part stores,rockauto,just suspension,fastener shop. What does everyone else do, I'm not the only one who replaces shocks. thanks for any help! John
Posted By: bobby66

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 01:01 PM

Maybe Year One or another restoration supply house has shock hardware.

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 01:23 PM

No luck at yearone. I did see a shock hardware kit that was a couple regular bolts,nuts and the convex washers for another aplication for a mere $73! They sure like makin' money.

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 01:55 PM

did you try MoPar? i'm sure they have what you need.

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 02:22 PM

mopar has discontinued the parts.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 02:27 PM

why wont a regular bolt work?

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 02:34 PM

It's basically a 6" stud with a big stop in the middle(looks like a big washer but is machined as part of stud). One side goes through the trunk floor and the other is the shock side.
Posted By: Moonraker

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 02:36 PM

Junkyard
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 03:11 PM

2071714 stud - www.bradsnosparts.com shows to have 4 of them. Sorry, nobody shows the nuts 152371. This was referenced to the 72 model year. Have Brads double check the numbers for you to make sure they are correct for your year.Mike

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 03:39 PM

Brads has the correct stud but no nuts. I would just use a nut and shock washer from the parts store but half of the shock bushing rides on the nut. What does everyone else use?

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 03:42 PM

Post a pic of the old nut. Someone may have some laying around. Mike
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 05:04 PM

Is it a kind of shouldered nut? Maybe McMaster-Carr has something like it.

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 05:59 PM

Yes it is,if I uderstand you correctly. I tried fastenal (my neighbor) no dice. Will keep looking.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/22/08 11:55 PM

I am going down to my shop Saturday. I can dig through the pile of stuff from my Duster and see if we kept the shock mounts when we put the ladder bar/coilovers in. PM me if you want them so I don't forget.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 12:31 AM

These are replacements for one's in the shock plates - would they work?

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 12:47 AM

They dont look long enough, but I certainly apreciate your effort. They need to be about 6" long.

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 02:24 AM

too bad MoPar discontinued them. . could be worse tho, my duster came with some sort of "shock extension",
the purpose of which i have zero clue.
Posted By: bremotorsports

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 03:07 AM

Is there legitimate demand out there in "A-Body land" for this piece? I believe I may even have one or two NOS pieces, and thus could have one of my subcontractors reproduce this based on a pristine sample.

I will now say "Let the people speak"

Bill Rolik

Sorry, but the NOS pieces would not be for sale.

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 05:56 AM

Quote:

too bad MoPar discontinued them. . could be worse tho, my duster came with some sort of "shock extension",
the purpose of which i have zero clue.

The shock extensions are used for racing so the car will get added lift. Mike
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 02:17 PM

Quote:

Is there legitimate demand out there in "A-Body land" for this piece? I believe I may even have one or two NOS pieces, and thus could have one of my subcontractors reproduce this based on a pristine sample.

I will now say "Let the people speak"

Bill Rolik

Sorry, but the NOS pieces would not be for sale.

it's for an a body bill , according to some aftermarket suppliers there is no market for a body parts .

i have to swap out the air shocks in my dart , i'm not even sure what these things look like ...

but if you make it they will buy them ...
Posted By: stumpy

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 02:35 PM

Have you tried the HELP section of your local parts place. I know I have seen shock studs but I'm not sure of the application.

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 02:54 PM

No help in the help section.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 04:36 PM

I believe your talking about the nut on the stud on the right. Both studs have the same dimensions, shoulder lengths, etc. only the shock retainer nut differs. I would just use the standard nut w/washer like the one on the left

Attached picture 4446593-DSC02466.JPG

Re: duster rear shock bolts - 05/23/08 04:59 PM

Jim that is the right stud. After looking at it again I feel a little silly . Problem solved.
© 2024 Moparts Forums