Moparts

Spray polished aluminum wheels with acid

Posted By: 383'D

Spray polished aluminum wheels with acid - 07/02/12 05:45 AM

If I want my centerline polished aluminum wheels to take on a satin look can I just spray them with acid cleaner?
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Spray polished aluminum wheels with acid - 07/02/12 11:09 AM

I wouldnt try it.IMO you would need to get an even coat without the acid running to prevent streaks.. Centerlines are to expensive to ruin with acid.
Posted By: sixpack4spd

Re: Spray polished aluminum wheels with acid - 07/02/12 06:16 PM

I wouldn't do that to my wheels. Scotchbrite or very fine sandpaper. (probably 600 grit)
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Spray polished aluminum wheels with acid - 07/02/12 08:45 PM

I try not to rub on wheels with that many little corners!
I'd try a soda blast to get around all those rivets.
I'd also build some sort of potter's wheel or stand so they could be spun and the gun distance and blast pattern could be easily repeated.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Spray polished aluminum wheels with acid - 07/02/12 09:48 PM

I agree, use 600-100 grit paper to rough them up. The finer the paper, the more "gloss" or sheen you'll get.

You don't want to use an acid cleaner
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Spray polished aluminum wheels with acid - 07/02/12 10:32 PM

If you use an aluminum acid and get the whole wheel wet with it then quickly hosed off and dried you should be fine. Do NOT spray them and walk away! I used to do my ET slots like that all the time. I used to brush the stuff on which allowed me maore control than a spray. The problem will be keeping them that way as aliuminum oxidizes almost instantly. I used to do the wheels every time I washed the car. Sanding ?!?! Sure, might be fine the first time but are you going to sand them every week ?!?! Sanding is nothing more than a bunch of small scrathes! Not my first choice for a satin finish!
Posted By: 383'D

Re: Spray polished aluminum wheels with acid - 07/03/12 02:50 AM

I have a set of satin wheels that I spray and I really like them.I just happened to score a polished set that I really needed for spares.And was thinking of making them all match by making them satin also.But since they are for spares in a pinch I think I'll leave them polished now.Thanks for the thoughts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums