Moparts

please help me with my temp problem

Posted By: president61

please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 06:10 AM

67 coronet 440 .060 over, 509 cam, stock 26" rad with shroud and stock 7 blade clutch fan, 10 to 1 compression, 180 degree stat. i drove it today to town and it was about 83 degress outside. the temp guage(mechanical) just keeps climbing very slowly. by the time I got to town 200 degrees. drove home a few hours later, 210 degrees when i got home (15 miles) it hasn't boiled over yet. i have a 6 pac scoop that I thought would help with cooling but it doesn't. the carb isn't sealed to the scoop if that matters. i know the stat isn't sticking. any thoughts??
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 09:36 AM

hi
may be your distributor / timing rate .

what is your inital timing and what intake carb an do you have headers ??

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 09:50 AM

Quote:

hi

12 degrees mopar performance M-1 Single plane, 750 holley dbl pumper headers are coated hooker comp
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 12:03 PM

Id be looking at the fan clutch. When you shut the engine off, how long does the fan spin? How easy does it turn when hot? Do you have a spring in the lower hose? Is the rad clean?
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 12:06 PM

How is 210° too hot?
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 03:29 PM

Radiator known to be clean?
Fan shroud?
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 03:41 PM

I had a problem with mine running hot on the highway. I put a spring in the lower rad hose to keep it from collapsing, and that solved the problem.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

by the time I got to town 200 degrees. drove home a few hours later, 210 degrees when i got home (15 miles). any thoughts??

Is that stop & go/slower speeds or highway? 210 ain't terrible but it's getting there. If highway I would suspect a partly plugged rad.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hi

12 degrees mopar performance M-1 Single plane, 750 holley dbl pumper headers are coated hooker comp

TOTAL timing is what you're looking for. 12* would be the initial, but if your using a stock distributor, and pushing the initial to 12*, you could be up over 40* total, which could cause it to run hot. Find out what your total is, or just back the initial down to about 6 or 8 and see if it affects the heat issue. If not, then you have eliminated timing.
Posted By: cdstl

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 06/30/12 06:48 PM

Quote:

I had a problem with mine running hot on the highway. I put a spring in the lower rad hose to keep it from collapsing, and that solved the problem.

This is the one that I used.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=RH52+01

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 07/01/12 04:50 AM

thanks everyone. i'm going to check timing and probably pull my rad and give it a thorough cleaning. i need to put that bottom air dam on too. i just have to make a seal since nobody repos them
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 07/01/12 04:53 AM

post what solves it
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 07/01/12 05:54 AM

That sounds like a flow issue to me.

210 is OK, but it's a problem warning. Shouldn't be that hot if things are up to snuff.
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 07/02/12 04:28 AM

hi
yes by all means you should have a spring in the lower one and a knowen good fan clutch .

your timing curve may need recalabrated .

move your timing up to 16 inital and make dist top out at about 34-36 max .

what is your app cranking comp psi ?

hi stall convertor can also add heat , use a big trany cooler in the air streem !
Posted By: twinscrew698

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 07/04/12 11:16 AM

Quote:

thanks everyone. i'm going to check timing and probably pull my rad and give it a thorough cleaning. i need to put that bottom air dam on too. i just have to make a seal since nobody repos them

That will really improve to lower your temp!
Some people have thrown these away in the past and now looking for em!
Posted By: furyous3

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 07/06/12 06:39 AM

If all the good suggestions given have been tried and you are still running hot, pull the thermostat out and drive it. If it runs colder then you have a bad thermostat. I found this out after several thermostats, all bad. Be sure to order a Mr. Gasket hi-flow, about 180* from O'Reilley's. That should help the flow problem.
Posted By: Mike P

Re: please help me with my temp problem - 07/06/12 12:38 PM

All of the thermostatically controlled fan clutches (the ones with the spring on the front side) I have gotten in the last several years have been factory set to lock up at 210 degrees. So basically on hot days out here that’s where my cars run (but I’ve never had one go over that as long as the clutch was good).

On a side note, if the spring on the front of the clutch is tightened (usually ½ a turn at a time), it will lower the temperature the clutch locks up).
© 2024 Moparts Forums