Moparts

what do you use to clean vinyl before you dye it?

Posted By: bnichols

what do you use to clean vinyl before you dye it? - 06/28/12 02:17 AM

can't find blue door panels for my road runner so i am thinking about painting them with vinyl paint of course, what are you guys cleaning the vinyl with before you spray it???
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: what do you use to clean vinyl before you dye it? - 06/28/12 02:23 AM

SEM makes vinyl prep aerosol in a can..I've used it with great results

SEM Vinyl Prep

Posted By: KillerCuda

Re: what do you use to clean vinyl before you dye it? - 06/28/12 02:30 AM

i have also used isopropyl alcohol, (free from work!) with fantastic results. i just re-dyed my entire interior. sem makes a superior product in my opinion, i have used it with excellent results. like paint, it's all in the prep for long lasting results........
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: what do you use to clean vinyl before you dye it? - 06/28/12 03:13 AM

I changed my interior from pearl white to landau black with SEMs products.

I don't think vinyl prep is supposed to be used as the main "cleaner". It is prep to get any final oil, residues, etc. right before applying color.

I first scrubbed the heck out of everything with a nylon brush and Crud Cutter (Lowe's I think...). I did this multiple times then let dry really well on a hot day in the sun.

When setting everything up to dye, I used the vinyl-prep in the spray bomb. Spray it on, then wipe it off with a damp cloth and let air dry.

After that, went at everything with landau black until covered. Don't get carried away, it goes on very thin. Many light coats is key.

I finally hit everything with two coats of the low luster clear coat.

The stuff is very forgiving. It ran on me a few times (was not being careful in a rush) and I just wiped the run and sprayed back over it. It blends great.

My door panels wrinkled on me and I freaked. It must have been a chemical reaction, because they tightened back up by the next day.

Prep, prep, and more prep. Pick a low humidity day, etc. just like when spraying paint.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: what do you use to clean vinyl before you dye it? - 06/28/12 03:57 AM

I used rubbing alcohol with nice results.
© 2024 Moparts Forums