Moparts

360 noisey lifters

Posted By: mikepar

360 noisey lifters - 11/03/08 11:27 PM

Hi
And thanks ahead of time
when the car sits for a couple of days the lifters are noisy on start up til the oil pressure builds, also I assume they are not operating the valves either cause of the ruffness of the idle once it warms up it goes...I never reve up an engine cold..Please confirm what I think I know or assum

mike
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/03/08 11:33 PM

I've got the same problem and i hate it
It's not an old engine, it's been doing it off and on for years now.
I use 20/50 and grit my teeth till it clears.
When I finish the Challenger I'll open it up and swap the lifters, I hope that works.
Posted By: TJP

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/04/08 02:27 AM

Install some good quality lifters, IE: comp cams etc. break them in properly and your problem should go away. Contrary to what you may be told, all lifters are not made equally. They may be made by the same comapy but their are different levels of QUALITY
AGAIN IE: bin 1, bin 2 bin, bin 3, or border line rejects

Tim
Posted By: 68Bullit

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/04/08 02:38 AM

I can't remember who it is, but there is a member here that swears by Shell Rotella full synthetic 5W-40, and he says it almost eliminated all start-up noise. The Rotella is also said to contain over 1200 ppm of zinc which is enough for the flat tappet cams BTW. I'm thinking of using it for my next oil change.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/04/08 02:42 AM

A solid lifter cam is the best answer to the problem. Flat lifters and hyd in particular have been a real problem for years,Comp Cams is the best place I've found to buy the cheapest crap in the market. It's a shame since I grew up a few miles from them,but haven't spent with them in years,they really are the last company I'd look to for answers,but their marketing is a real $$$.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/04/08 04:00 AM

Probably your rods rattling........get rid of the Fram filter.

My 360 did that after the rebuild. Bye-bye Fram! Problem solved!
Posted By: mikepar

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/04/08 12:46 PM

yah im usin 10 30 synthetic I thought a new cam and lifters in the spring I gotta do the water pimp anyways the older one that the bottom hose exits to the drives side with a timing cover to match
Posted By: 65cuda

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/04/08 02:05 PM

i agree with the Comp crap. they have changed thier lifters recently and are crap. they used to be silver in the middle and have CC lazer etched in there and an extra ring cut around the top. they looked good. now they look like the 100.00 dollar cam kit ones. no name just raw cast in the middle. i have 4 that are clicking. one that was stuck in the bottom. had to hone the piston in it to get it to move. it is still sticking till full oil press. hits it.
called them they say pull the cam and send it all to them. they should send me some new lifters so i could take the parts out of them till i get a working set.
Posted By: 68red440

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/04/08 05:41 PM

My new Comp Cam lifters do the same thing. I made sure the rockers are adjusted properly, good oil pressure and flow to the heads, etc. I also found that they pump down in less than a couple hours by pulling a valve cover, pushing down on pushrods, and rotating the engine around. Every time it sits for a couple hours or more, I need to let them pump up before driving off. Otherwise it runs great when it's warmed up.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 360 noisey lifters - 11/04/08 10:36 PM

I had good luck with crower lifters in the past but I don`t know if they are still made in the USA.
© 2024 Moparts Forums