Moparts

Dumb Question ignition switch

Posted By: Kiddart

Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 01:41 PM

How do you check an ignition switch to see if its bad or not??

Attached picture 7266015-DSC02182_A.JPG
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 04:58 PM

You could check continuity with an ohmmeter between the terminals in the different key positions

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 05:28 PM

How about a test light grounded to column and doing checking the positions?? I have a feeling that power is not going thru the switch.

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 05:40 PM

yes that'd work. What circuit are you having a problem with?

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 05:46 PM

The starting circuit, I thought is was the netural safety but its not. I turn to aux just before the start and the fuel pump is on then go to start and it seems to lose power. I am dumbfounded its killing me.

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 08:32 PM

It will not crank? If not see if the yellow "ign" wire out to the starter solenoid is hot while someone holds the key to start. If not, seperate the bulkhead & see if there's a bad connection on that circuit on those 2 male/female brass terminals. (www.mymopar.com has the colors/locations). If the bulkhead is good then see if the "st" terminal on the back of the ign switch is hot when you hold it to start. If the switch is in the column seperate the dangling connector & see if the start wire going out to the starter relay has continuity with the 12V power in wire when the key is held to start.
Posted By: radar

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 08:40 PM

Check your ballast resistor on the firewall
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 09:20 PM

ballast has nothing to do with the starter turning the engine over.

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 09:26 PM

its weird because in november when I pulled the motor and trans everyrhing was fine, I can start the car with a screwdriver on the starter re-lay. it has to be something stupid. thanks for the info. I will try it and keep you guys posted.

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 09:35 PM

Quote:

I can start the car with a screwdriver on the starter re-lay.

Yes if your sure the neutral safety switch is grounding the relay then concentrate on the yellow wire "ign" hot side
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Dumb Question ignition switch - 06/26/12 10:23 PM

Try holding the key in the start position and move the shifter from park to neutral and see what happens. You may just have a linkage adjustment problem.
© 2024 Moparts Forums