Moparts

Leaf springs installed, drivers side sagging

Posted By: Mad_Scientist

Leaf springs installed, drivers side sagging - 06/24/12 10:56 PM

I just finished my leaf spring install on the 69 Bee. I also rebuilt the whole front suspension. When I ordered the springs from the company, the lady said that they test all of the springs to insure that you get a matched set. Is it possible that I got a bad set, or could I have done something wrong? I didn't tighten down the front hanger bolts and rear shackles until I had set the car down on the ground again. Is there anything else that could cause one side to sag?

Re: Leaf springs installed, drivers side sagging - 06/24/12 10:59 PM

Oops, sorry mods, meant to post this in the Q&A section.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Leaf springs installed, drivers side sagging - 06/24/12 11:25 PM

Has the ride height been set and has it been aligned? The springs do settle after awhile. Where did you get the springs? Also a local shop can rearch your springs for around $100.
Posted By: 426lloyd

Re: Leaf springs installed, drivers side sagging - 06/25/12 03:19 AM

he is not alone , put a new set on mine and it sages worse than the 40 year old ones I took off.( made in Mexico ) purchased from a sponsor here. ya just spend another 100 bucks have them redone . what a joke.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Leaf springs installed, drivers side sagging - 06/25/12 03:28 AM

It may be a rear spring problem... or maybe T bar adjustment. If the T bar on the same side is set a little low it can throw the back off also. After taking everything apart for a front re-build, this is possible. Suggest you re-check T bars first. The FSM process works... or trial and error. You can try cranking the T bar on the diagonal opposite front wheel up a turn or two to see if it helps without throwing the front end off.

Re: Leaf springs installed, drivers side sagging - 06/25/12 03:45 AM

I forgot to mention that I also installed new 1" torsion bars. I just came back in from adjusting the torsion bars, and it seems to have cured most of it. I thought that the torsion bars would only affect the front end, but it made a difference in the rear as well.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I'm going to let it sit a few days and see if it settles. Then I will adjust it again. Afer a week or so, then I plan to take it in and get an alignment.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Leaf springs installed, drivers side sagging - 06/25/12 03:59 AM

Just because the sit low doesn't mean they are wore out. If they are a level spring you are ok, if they are below then you have trouble.
© 2024 Moparts Forums