Moparts

Smallblock cam installation question

Posted By: elmor

Smallblock cam installation question - 06/23/12 03:47 AM

I'm doing a basic rebuild on my 360. New 9-1 pistons, fresh heads and a Sealed Power cam. Specs on the cam are .445/465 lift and duration at .050 is 214/224. I just read an article in a Mopar Muscle from Jan 2008, where they did a bucks down rebuild on a stock 318. When they reassembled it, they upgraded to a 4 barrel carb and a Comp PN 20-223-3 cam. their cam specs .477/.480 and duration at .050 is .224/.230. They used a stock timing chain and installed it straight up. They never degreed the cam. So, I am wondering if it's necessary to degree my cam or not. I don't want to have to spring for a degree wheel, mag base and dial indicator if it's really not necessary and I don't want to pay the machine shop for something I can do myself. Just trying to get a general consensus. Will I be alright or am I asking for trouble?
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Smallblock cam installation question - 06/23/12 03:50 AM

I would check it, "dot to dot" can be off by 14 degrees or more, if you want me to bring my tools down and check it with you shoot me a PM
Posted By: elmor

Re: Smallblock cam installation question - 06/23/12 03:56 AM

I bought an after market roller chain with 3 keyways on the crank and was going to instal it straight up. I really appreciate your offer and may take you up on it when I start putting it back together.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Smallblock cam installation question - 06/23/12 05:58 AM

Whatever you do, if lining up the "dot" on the 3 way kit, line up the CORRECT dot. NOT the dot at keyway. It will be the dot about 3 teeth away from keyway, that you will line up with cam dot.
© 2024 Moparts Forums