Moparts

New Exhaust System

Posted By: LimelightCuda

New Exhaust System - 06/22/12 04:47 PM

I just got a new exhaust system from Accurate Exhaust. I was thinking about putting some anti-seize around the pipes where they join together in case I have to take it apart. I do have to put in a patch in the trunk over the winter and I don't know if the exhaust will be in the way or not. Is this a good idea? What do you guys think?
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: New Exhaust System - 06/22/12 05:17 PM

It couldn't hurt. I'm not sure it will help either.
Posted By: Silverbullet2

Re: New Exhaust System - 06/22/12 06:04 PM

If you're using OE type U clamps and tightnen them tight it'll be hard to get apart. Not original looking but I like the new band clamps. You can just snug the OE clamps and it might leak a little but it'll come back apart.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: New Exhaust System - 06/22/12 08:53 PM

Yes I would slather it up good with antisieze & lightly snug the clamps
Posted By: Tom Hand

Re: New Exhaust System - 06/23/12 03:22 AM

Phil, get a tube of Walker Acousti Seal. It will work perfectly and was used by some manufacturers in the 60s on OEM mufflers and pipes. Still use it today and you can spray WD-40 in the joint and then roll it right apart if needed.
Tom Hand

Re: New Exhaust System - 06/23/12 11:13 AM

Thanks for the responses. Walker Acousti Seal? I've never heard of it. Will the local auto parts stores stock it?

Re: New Exhaust System - 06/23/12 03:02 PM

I looked into the Walker Acousti Seal and according to the product description it is for sealing exhaust gases when the two connecting pipes do not mate perfectly or are not perfectly round. It didn't say anything about taking the pipes apart. Just wondering how this stuff helps. I've got some time to think it over but I want to get the car fixed in time for Carlisle. Thanks for all your help.
Posted By: Tom Hand

Re: New Exhaust System - 06/23/12 08:53 PM

Phil, It is a stiffer, tar-like substance when it tends to harden that enables you to need only snug clamps, not tighten the crap out of them. It protects your mufflers and pipes by eliminating the crimping caused by this sometimes previously needed over tightening. And, if you need tp pull the system apart, you spray some solvent-based lubricant, like WD-40 or others, in the slots you will cut into the muffler bushings (like stock mufflers used to come with) which will soften/dissolve the Acousti-Seal and let you rotate things pretty much right part.

We used it when we did our 22 muffler shootout years ago and use it on any exhaust system we put together. Neat stuff to be sure.
Tom
© 2024 Moparts Forums