Moparts

Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line)

Posted By: WyleECoyote

Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 02:49 AM

Although the fitting broke loose, as it backed down the steel line, it is starting to grab it and twist it.
NOW what do I do!!??
I can't replace the whole line, its a 72 Imperial so there's like 900-feet of it wrapped all around the whole front end!
Is there a way to replace like the last 6-inches that is curved and have a fitting along the frame?

Posted By: 440newport

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 02:58 AM

They always do that to me, even if they don't look rusty. You could cut the line further back, flare it and splice the line with a flare union, but I would just replace it.
It's long, but not that long of a run. The line runs under the radiator back to the prop valve on the driver's side frame rail.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 03:02 AM

grab the brass fitting lightly but securely with your vice grips & work it back & forth lightly & hope it will let loose from the line
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 03:22 AM

Quote:

You could cut the line further back, flare it and splice the line with a flare union

This would be the easiest. Just make sure you make a proper double flare. They make tools designed to flare it right on the car.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 03:52 AM

To late now but, pull the clip and spin the hose off the line(I'm guessing the hose is what you are replacing in the first place?). Then a little heat and the fitting would spin freely on the line. Now you have to fix (as stated) or replace the line.

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 03:55 AM

Quote:

To late now but, pull the clip and spin the hose off the line(I'm guessing the hose is what you are replacing in the first place?). Then a little heat and the fitting would spin freely on the line. Now you have to fix (as stated) or replace the line.

Hey! - Can I STILL do that?? The twist looks worse in the photo with the dirt, rust & Kroil. It barely started to twist and I stopped. Has the integrity of the line been compromised too far with a little twist?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 06:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey! - Can I STILL do that?? The twist looks worse in the photo with the dirt, rust & Kroil. It barely started to twist and I stopped. Has the integrity of the line been compromised too far with a little twist?

When in doubt, throw it out Especially on brake lines and women
Posted By: MoPar Jamie

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 08:07 AM

You MIGHT be able to save it. Pull the clip holding the end of the rubber line to the bracket, push it out of the bracket and twist the rubber line off instead of turning the fitting on the steel line. Reverse to install. I presume you are replacing the rubber lines?
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 10:25 AM

Just replace the line. Why do people try to save the old stuff like this? It makes no sense! Fix it right, fix it once, and be done with it.

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 12:00 PM

I went to fine lines and didn't see a pre-bent selection for 72 Imperials. A quick Google search didn't turn much up either. Anyone know of other vendors they can recommend?
Thanks.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 12:25 PM

Quote:

I can't replace the whole line, its a 72 Imperial so there's like 900-feet of it wrapped all around the whole front end!

Yes you can!
You just don't want to.

Yep, cut back, install nut, flare, connect to short length of new tube.

It's a DOUBLE 45 degree flare. Not a single.

For what it's worth, the clueless morons at the parts store don't know their brake lines from their azz. They'll hand you everything but the right one.

Tell them it's 3/16ths line with 3/8-24 FLARE (not bubble) fittings in the length you need. They come in 10" multiples.
Good luck with those morons.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Uht - oh..... NOW what do I do??? (steel brake line) - 06/22/12 12:32 PM

As far as i know no one makes lines for them.They will custom bend lines if you send them spec from the old one.The line might last but then again it might not.Its really not that hard to bend new lines.NAPA used to make what they called easy bend tubing.It was a bit easier to bend than reg steel tubing.Ive replaced tons of lines including fuel lines at home and at work.You dont have to be perfect when doing them.But you can get a new line bent real close.Its cheap but does take some time to do.Just use a good flaring tool.I always put a dab of antisieze on new lines and fitting when I install them.Makes it a breeze to remove when you have to.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums