Moparts

Head Gasket Repair

Posted By: 440_ci

Head Gasket Repair - 11/01/08 08:19 PM

I began having overheating problems last year which made me park the car until i was able to take a good look at it,now that i have iev found a few things. My oil is a little milky like in most cases but the car isnt over heating and there are no signs of a decrease in perf. she also starts and runs fine. What do you thing iam looking at cause its got me stumped?

Thanks
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Head Gasket Repair - 11/01/08 08:29 PM

Don't jump to conclusions. Just sitting in cooler damp temperatures condensation occurs and put water in the oil. It doesn't take much water in the oil to make it milky. Before jumping in and tearing it apart I would sure change the oil and filter and drive it and do some more checking. Yes head gaskets do at time go out but not near as frequently as I see it brought up here. If there are no other signs of performance loss or coolant loss you don't have a head gasket out. It will be brought up to run it with the radiator cap off and look for bubbles. Well you had better know how to distinguish between normal turbulance bubbles and compression leak bubbles. For now change the oil and filter and drive it and see what happens.
Posted By: 440_ci

Re: Head Gasket Repair - 11/01/08 08:46 PM

I put some bars head gasket seal in it last week and i ran it per the bottle for 30min and checked the oil and the oil was perfect with not a trace of milky color. So it is important to drive the car alot to move the coolant/oil around?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Head Gasket Repair - 11/01/08 09:36 PM

Short running times is a leading cause of condesation. Especially in colder weather. Just because the temp gauge reads that the temp is up means that the coolant temp is up to normal. the oil and engine components may still be only luke warm and not warm enough long enough to evaporate the water out of the oil. They should be driven long enough to bring all temps up to operating temperature and long enough to evaporate the water out. Condensation in a natural occurance in any internal cumbustion engine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums