Moparts

quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible?

Posted By: badblubeee

quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/06/12 07:00 PM

I need to clean lite to medium surface rust out of a gas tank.I don't believe it will need coating,just cleaned.I would like something that will clean but not leave any flakey residue.
Am I dreaming? I've heard of muradic acid from home inprovement stores but no detales.
Any suggestion? Thanks, Dave
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/06/12 07:09 PM

muraic acid does work. you need to throw something inwith it like nuts and bolts to scrub the inside.

BUT, 2 things. First, getting rid of the nasty stuff that comes out is going to be hard.
It will stain concrete. and I tried neutralizing it and was left with rusty sludge in a can. I threw it away after I was sure it woudn't react, but not sure what else is in it.

second, the tank will be raw metal inside again. so some sort of coating will be necessary to prevent rusting again.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/06/12 07:29 PM

Try E-85 if its available. 2-3 go=allons of that crap seems to ruin everything else if its not stainless
Posted By: badblubeee

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/06/12 08:16 PM

I have used diesel and gravel before and hauled a tank around in the back of the pick up for a couple weeks but it was a piece o' junk and turned into a screen door and I agree about E 85.Sounds like I'm left with POR 15 treatment just hoping for something less involved.
I tried local radiator shops for a dunk and that's a no go.And the local metal dip place wants $100.poot
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/06/12 08:30 PM

see if you can find an ecoat place near you.
they have big tanks to remove rust.
not that expensive for the ecoat either.
Posted By: ahy

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/06/12 11:20 PM

I have used the 3 step Eastwood tank clean and coat system with good results. Strong detergent, acetone, acid and sealer. After using the acid I poured it in a plastic bucket with limestone gravel. Left it there for a day or two then dumped it out.

Agree after acid cleaning, a coating would be important.

From a cost (time and money) a new tank wouldn't be much more expensive but the old tanks and sending units seem to have less problem with sealing and guage accuracy so saving yours probably makes sense.
Posted By: sixpack4spd

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/06/12 11:52 PM

A new tank is the easiest and the least amount of trouble...
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/07/12 03:11 AM

I'd like to hear the list of car related things that are
1. Quick
2. Easy
3. Cheap

'cause I'm ready to buy!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/07/12 04:17 AM

Quote:

1. Quick
2. Easy
3. Cheap

'cause I'm ready to buy!

Posted By: OzHemi

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/07/12 04:22 AM

Quote:

1. Quick
2. Easy
3. Cheap

'cause I'm ready to buy!

Little tree air freshners ?
Posted By: therocks

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/07/12 01:08 PM

At least 15 years ago I did my tank in the 65.It was nasty.I used the POR15 kit.I did the first step the acid.Let it set for a day while turning the tank and shaking it.Then cleaned it out and it sat for 2 days in the sun.Then sealed it and that sat fir 2 days in the hot sun.Still looks like the day I did it.It was cheap easy and worked like a charm.The tank is better than new.Just follow the directions.I think at the time it was around 20 bucks.Rocky
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/07/12 01:22 PM

Quote:

At least 15 years ago I did my tank in the 65.It was nasty.I used the POR15 kit.I did the first step the acid.Let it set for a day while turning the tank and shaking it.Then cleaned it out and it sat for 2 days in the sun.Then sealed it and that sat fir 2 days in the hot sun.Still looks like the day I did it.It was cheap easy and worked like a charm.The tank is better than new.Just follow the directions.I think at the time it was around 20 bucks.Rocky

When was the last time you peeked inside it ? How often have you looked inside in the past 15 yrs ?
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/07/12 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1. Quick
2. Easy
3. Cheap

'cause I'm ready to buy!

Sometimes they are even sent to you for free with your favorite scent!
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/07/12 02:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1. Quick
2. Easy
3. Cheap

'cause I'm ready to buy!

Sometimes they are even sent to you for free with your favorite scent!

French hooker?
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: quick,easy,inexpencive tank cleaning-possible? - 06/07/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

1. Quick
2. Easy
3. Cheap
'cause I'm ready to buy!

You can have any TWO of the above

I also recommend the POR-15 kit. Yes, it's time consuming with the clean, soak, rinse, and especially the tank has to be BONE DRY after rinsing! I usually duct-tape an old hair dryer to the neck and let it run on low heat all day. Then put the sealer in.

I've used that kit on at least four car/truck/tractor gas & diesel tanks with success. The oldest is at least 12 years and still no problems with peeling or re-rusting.
© 2024 Moparts Forums