Moparts

New K-frame bolts?

Posted By: cudabitten

New K-frame bolts? - 06/05/12 02:09 PM

Where can I buy new k-frame bolts? E-Body.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 06/05/12 02:10 PM

Are your old ones lost or stripped?
Posted By: MLR426

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 06/05/12 03:12 PM

Quote:

Where can I buy new k-frame bolts? E-Body.

Tom Race Specialities

MLR426
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 06/05/12 04:53 PM

Quote:

Tom Race Specialities

Who dat?

I figured it out... not the top hit on Google but it does show up.
R/T Specialties
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 06/05/12 05:10 PM

I got mine off of e-bay
Posted By: nobrakesneeded

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 06/06/12 12:20 AM

Is there anything special about the k member bolts? Couldn't a grade 8 of the appropriate size be used just as well?
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 06/06/12 12:30 AM

There's a shoulder on the bolt that's sized to the hole in the K-frame...

When I dropped my K-frame the other day, I found that one of the bolts had been replaced with a bumper bolt or similar large thread bolt, but it didn't have the shoulder. If three aren't good enough to locate the K, I guess I should buy one.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 06/06/12 01:25 AM

Quote:

Is there anything special about the k member bolts? Couldn't a grade 8 of the appropriate size be used just as well?

The shoulder on the bolts are important to locate the K-frame and prevent movement. Remember that the K-frame locates the lower control arm and, hence, is important in maintaining alignment and steering geometry.
Posted By: jcc

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 03/24/13 04:05 AM

Anybody know the size/threads of these k bolts?
Posted By: kentj340

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 03/26/13 06:46 AM

5/8-11 x 2" with special shoulder as mentioned above. See description including photo here:

www.amkproducts.com > pdf catalog > page 109-127 > scroll to bottom of page 114.

Probably any vendor of this item has bought it from AMK and is re-selling.
Posted By: jcc

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 03/26/13 05:52 PM

Thank you.

I am puzzled by the original need for a shoulder bolt, it doesn't seem to me that a shoulder bolt allows for any extra manufacturing tolerances, and regarding shear strength in a massive wreck because a grade 8 5/8" threaded bolt versus a 3/4" shoulder, not sure its enough to matter unless hitting the wall at daytona is a concern. Looked at my RMS Alter K and I believe it has 3 large holes and one smaller hole FWIW in the K. The bolts are only attached to 14g? Sheet metal anyway. The only case i can visualize if the factory suspected k frame to chassis movement over the course of say 100K miles, and felt the shoulder style would survive longer.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 03/26/13 06:23 PM

Posted By: dogdays

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 03/27/13 12:09 AM

It's not shear strength.

It's location as the bolt is tightened up. My Taurus subframe has two pilot holes into which one sticks a particular diameter rod before the subframe bolts are tightened. Then they are removed after the bolts are torqued to spec. These shoulder bolts do the same thing except without the hassle of inserting the rods. After they are torqued down, friction keeps the subframe in the right place.

R.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: New K-frame bolts? - 03/27/13 03:09 AM

Quote:

It's not shear strength...After they are torqued down, friction keeps the subframe in the right place.

Yes, friction is how bolted connections do their job. My car was driven almost 160,000 miles before starting restoration, and from the looks of the still-fresh gloss black paint under the K-frame bolt washers, there was no movement of the K-frame, at least relative to the bolts.

FWIW, engineering specs for bolted connections (American Institute of Steel Construction/American Society for Testing of Materials) prohibit paint within the connection parts, though, since paint could decrease the friction.

Attached picture 7642332-23-148Frame.Kframe,glossblack.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums