Moparts

fresh 340 cam plug leaking

Posted By: Dennispsalm91

fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 01:02 AM

anyone ever had this happen ? i pulled the engine after changing the rear main once already. Put dye in the oil, pulled the motor and saw that cam plug was leaking. Should i just use silicone to seal it up ? or does the cap have to come out ?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 01:06 AM

Anything short of replacing it is a bandaide. IMO
Posted By: buildanother

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 01:15 AM

Pull that plug out and replace it as long as the engine is out.

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 02:23 AM

Can the plug be taken out from the back side ?? A friend said he would just use the silicone.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 02:29 AM

Dent puller or alternate, with some creativity, and some slight drilling should get it out.

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 02:32 AM

drilling doenst sound like a good idea, the spurs have to go somewhere. Any other options ??
Posted By: Neil

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 02:33 AM

If it's not leaking too bad you can clean the surface up really good and then put some permatex form-a-gasket around the hole and let it cure before you run it again. Ideally you should take it out and redo it, but the sealer should be fine. I try not to use rtv silicone anymore. Lots better stuff out there to use.

When I installed the cam plug on my last engine I sealed the outside of the hole up with 3M fast + firm body sealer. Dries hard as a rock in a few hours and is hanging in there just fine.

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 02:42 AM

Is that 3m stuff like a seam sealer ?

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 03:12 AM

Yes, the fast + firm is autobody seam sealer. Any autobody supply shop or NAPA store that has autobody supplies should have it.

Permatex form-a-gasket comes in two flavors; one that dries hard and one that doesn't. I would go for the one that dries hard.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 12:46 PM

As long as its not loose, clean it well and put a good bead of ultra RTV in around the edge.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 01:26 PM

Why is it so hard to take it out and do it right??? It isn't aerospace mechanics to take that plug out or to put a new one in. The engine is already out.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/01/08 04:45 PM

If you're good at hitting them and spinning them, then try that. I wasn't so good and ended up pushing it back towards the cam (on a 440) then had to drill and yank it. The drill shavings didn't seem to be a problem.

However a good application of some ultra black RTV should do the trick, or "right stuff". Heck even JB weld would work, and would still chip/crack away if you ever needed to get that plug out again.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/02/08 12:20 AM

If you drill a hole and use a dent puller to get it out the shavings aren't going to go anywhere. You can clean them out once the plug is out.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/02/08 01:26 AM

It sounds like the cam plug wasn't installed properly. You don't want to have it fall out and catch the torque converter bolts, don't ask me how I know.

Tap on it to see if it seems loose. If you end up needing to drill an access hole for removal, coat your drill bit with a good amount of wheel bearing grease, the metal shavings will stay in the grease and shouldn't contaminate anything in the engine.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/02/08 06:43 AM

I would not worry about the shavings when drilling the cap, you can clean them out after removing the plug. There is really nowhere for the shavings to go when the cam is not spining.
If the plug is in tight and not leaking too bad you could clean the block/plug really good with brake cleaner and goop it up with RTV, but if the engine is out and you know the plug is leaking you may as well replace it.
I usually go and get a normal cup type plug to install in place of the concave plug, but the last 360 I built used the standard concave plug, and I just made sure to put a good bead of RTV along the outer part of the plug just in case it does not seal 100%.
When I was at the machine shop I was looking at a Magnum engine and it had a nice looking cam plug seal. I don't know if it was a standard Magnum part or aftermarket, but it looked like an inverted cup seal where the seal cups in then folds back out?
Anyone know if that is a standard magnum part and if it fits the older blocks?
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/02/08 06:55 AM

I just went to Jegs web site, and looked up the Pioneer freeze plug kit. The Cam core plug I had seen is pictured on the upper right:

Attached picture 4787285-787-830007_1.jpg
Posted By: moper

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/02/08 03:46 PM

I drill a small hole or two, screw in a couple screws, and pry them out. The filings can be removed with a magnet and they will not travel anywhere. I would goop it. It's a pain in the behind if it leaks again. Also, I hate that particular design... I use the one under it that goes in and gets hit in the center to expand it. Use a little grey silicone on the outside edge, and smooth it around the seam after it's expanded, and it's done.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/02/08 05:02 PM

Quote:

The Cam core plug I had seen is pictured on the upper right:

I have one of those seperate in stapled plastic baggie & I think it's a Mopar part it's out in the garage. I have one of those pioneer freeze plug sets & the large plugs aren't very tall & dont have much contact area & I'm not going to use them.

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/03/08 12:49 AM

the plug is not loose. It does look like its crooked though.

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/03/08 12:54 AM

An alternative to drilling might be to tack weld a bolt to the back of the plug and use a slide hammer or vise grips to pop it out.
Posted By: fastnos

Re: fresh 340 cam plug leaking - 11/03/08 07:53 AM

Pull the plug! You won't regret it later. (Kinda like Mr Goodwrench saying- "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later!" )
Worked @ Jasper Engines in the Diesel Block, Head, and Dyno section for 8 years. We had a lot of cam holes that were less then "optimal." Our standard practice was to buff it out first with a wire wheel. Then second, spray it with some Loctite primer, then run a bead of either red or green Loctite around hole and then spread it out with your finger going around it a couple of times. This is all done after its cleaned (hot tanked) and oil free. The heat from the hot tanking helps it cure faster, but if you have to, spray it with some Brake Clean or Electrical contact cleaner to remove any oil residue. Make sure you install the plug in straight, and in far enough. After your satisfied, wipe off any excess on the outside of the plug/hole area.
If you let it sit up 24 hours before any oil comes into contact with it, it'll last you until your next rebuild for sure. Good luck.
© 2024 Moparts Forums