Moparts

Leaf spring question

Posted By: HemiChallenger

Leaf spring question - 05/21/12 01:46 PM

My question is can you interchange leaf springs from side to side without causing any problems?

Steve
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Leaf spring question - 05/21/12 02:05 PM

It depends. On most low perforamcen six banger and 318 cars, you can. On high performance packages, usually no. If they have factory or factory style springs, then they have extra bias built into the right hand spring to control torque loading. However, some aftermarket springs do not have this built in to them so you would nee dto count the full and half leaves and verify that the heaviuer spring is on the passenger.side.

Re: Leaf spring question - 05/21/12 02:14 PM

I see what you mean. What i was thinking of doing if possible is putting two right hand springs on the back of my challenger that are the 7 leaf ones. So given they would be the same i would imagine that to be okay?
Posted By: fal3

Re: Leaf spring question - 05/21/12 02:37 PM

IIRC, somebody had asked this question in the Cornering forum, and it was suggested by a respondee that to make the older, heavier Mopars handle better, matching the number of leaves on the springs per side was a benfit to improved handling. But I'm working on memory here; I'd read the post a while ago. Should be in the Archives (?) or Search.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Leaf spring question - 05/21/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

What i was thinking of doing if possible is putting two right hand springs on the back of my challenger that are the 7 leaf ones. So given they would be the same i would imagine that to be okay?

Ohy yeah, that is fine and is an easy way to step up rate and control.

Re: Leaf spring question - 05/21/12 07:13 PM

Thanks guys! I wanted to check before doing something that i may regret!

Steve
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Leaf spring question - 05/22/12 12:32 AM

AAR's and T/A's came from the factory with matching springs on both sides for improved handling.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Leaf spring question - 05/22/12 12:52 AM

Quote:

IIRC, somebody had asked this question in the Cornering forum, and it was suggested by a respondee that to make the older, heavier Mopars handle better, matching the number of leaves on the springs per side was a benfit to improved handling. But I'm working on memory here; I'd read the post a while ago. Should be in the Archives (?) or Search.

That may have been one ov my questions that turned into a small book.

To balance out the weight bias (for cornering) i might actually take the stiffer spring and put it under my ass instead ov on the passenger side. Seems a bit backwards, but thats the compromise i guess. I'd rather it handle better every single day then hook at the track the one time in 7-8 years i actually bother to try and drag race it.

I would prefer to have matching springs on both sides though... i just happen to have two different rate springs... like you do.
© 2024 Moparts Forums