Moparts

TTI exhaust systems.any good

Posted By: TB3CUDA

TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/14/12 11:33 PM

has anyone bought one of the TTI exhaust systems?i am looking at buying one for my 72 roadrunner with headers.notice the kit listed is for 71-74 b-bodys,all engines and tranny combos.how is the fit and ease of putting it on,any mods had to be done?also looking to cut it for the machine gun tips i have.
Posted By: 383man

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/14/12 11:41 PM

I run the TTI 2" headers and the full 3" exh system out to the rear bumber. I went with the X-pipe and it fit great and was simple to install. Ron

Posted By: lewtot184

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 12:27 AM

Quote:

I run the TTI 2" headers and the full 3" exh system out to the rear bumber. I went with the X-pipe and it fit great and was simple to install. Ron

x2, .
Posted By: Silver70

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 12:46 AM

I've installed them on e-bodies before and they fit better than any premade system I've used.
Posted By: JAK

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 01:24 AM

I installed the 2" ceramic coated headers with 3" X pipe exhaust on my 72 Roadrunner with a 4 speed. Fit is awesome. I am running the Indy Cylinder Heads "SR" heads and a mini starter. If I remember correctly I did have to trim the X pipe length like 3". Make sure you follow TTI's recommendation (coating headers with WD40) when storing your car for an extended amount of time.
Posted By: ahy

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 01:31 AM

I run the 2" system with X pipe on an E. The system was well made and fit was good.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 04:38 AM

2" TTI headers, 3" H pipe system on a '65 Belvedere. Installed everything in my garage with no dinging or swearing. Amazingly good fit.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 04:52 AM

I have 3 TTI systems the only thing to complain about is the cost. Quality and fit is good to great. The coating on my headers is failing though.
Posted By: copper67440

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 05:42 AM

Just put a 3" with an X on my Coronet. It fits really nice. I had to cut and reweld the left side header adaptor, but when i got that figured out it all fit. I have Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and I love the way it sounds. Absolutly no drone inside. Very satisfied.

Attached picture 7206705-dodgerear.jpg
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 06:17 AM

I think its the best off-the-shelf system you can buy, I have the 3" on my Duster and its excellent with high quality hangers. Only way to get better would be to pay a skilled pipe bender to make one to exactly fit your car.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 11:55 AM

One of my TTI systems is 14 years old now and still turns heads and don't leak.

Drove it to work today!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 02:43 PM

Quote:

has anyone bought one of the TTI exhaust systems?i am looking at buying one for my 72 roadrunner with headers.notice the kit listed is for 71-74 b-bodys,all engines and tranny combos.how is the fit and ease of putting it on,any mods had to be done?also looking to cut it for the machine gun tips i have.

No one has answered this part of your question which is HUGE , those that do not have a 1971-74 B body with machine gun tips , I'm sure your replies are appreciated but your answers do not help.

I partially installed a tti system on a 72 satellite , I went by the included instructions and drilled the floor pan for the rear hangers behind the muffler wheere tti wants them, it didn't use the factory mount above the rear axle that the car originally had, I can't remember if there were dimples on the floor for the drivers side mount as I did it a few years ago.

The car didn't have tips, the owner wanted to install them but that hasn't happened yet.

And to jump on the I have tti pipes on a car that does not answer your question bandwagon ....

1969 Dodge Dart with 2.5" pipes, fit like TOTAL CRAP ... actually they didn't really fit I had to cut them up to make them fit, it would have been cheaper to do a mandrel bend pipe from scratch ...

My car has original dual exhaust and I wanted to reuse my stock tips, the pipes did NOT exit in the same place as stock AND the pipes did NOT connect to mufflers located off the stock rear muffler hangers. tti does not make a headpipe for a factory big block A body so I had to have my own made up and tti has you mount their GINORMOUS hangers off the seat belt bolts instead of the stock hanger locations ....
Posted By: terzmo

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 02:51 PM

expensive but a great fit
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 03:27 PM

I’m running 3” X-pipe TTI system with tips on my 72’ RR/GTX, exhaust system fits well but as mentioned does not use some of the hangers originally used. Besides the need to add a floor mounted muffler hanger brackets as needed, the tail pipes have hanger tabs using a factory style tail pipe hanger forward of where the factory tips/hangers would locate. TTI’s repo tips don’t have hanger tabs and are designed to clamp to their “cut off” turn down tail pipes. The tips exit in the same position as the originals and will require a cut out or modified rear valance to fit perfectly. Other repo tips matching whatever pipe size tail pipe should work as well, may have to choose which hanger configuration. I’m planning to add some resonators to mine after recently going back to manifolds and will be reworking my tips and hangers to accommodate them.

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 04:12 PM

Quote:

I’m running 3” X-pipe TTI system with tips on my 72’ RR/GTX, exhaust system fits well but as mentioned does not use some of the hangers originally used. Besides the need to add a floor mounted muffler hanger brackets as needed, the tail pipes have hanger tabs using a factory style tail pipe hanger forward of where the factory tips/hangers would locate. TTI’s repo tips don’t have hanger tabs and are designed to clamp to their “cut off” turn down tail pipes. The tips exit in the same position as the originals and will require a cut out or modified rear valance to fit perfectly. Other repo tips matching whatever pipe size tail pipe should work as well, may have to choose which hanger configuration. I’m planning to add some resonators to mine after recently going back to manifolds and will be reworking my tips and hangers to accommodate them.

What changes had to be made to the rear valance , I assume your valance was cut for tips ?

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 04:22 PM

Valance pictured is an original non-cut-out, the cut-out valance that came with the car was too beat-up. Basically traced and transferred the cutout with flare to the non-cut valance. My point is using a valance without cut-outs or clearance mods of somekind will have the TTI tailpipe and tips contacting the rear valance without modifying the way they hang, out of the box.

Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 05:04 PM

Here is a full TTI setup on a 72RR/GTX..

Attached picture 7207075-!ByrvHZg!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiIEwR!2fMdSBMSztZlSg!~~_3.jpg

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 05:05 PM

ANOTHER...no rattles..excellent sound...one of the best set ups I have seen in decades..

Attached picture 7207077-!ByrvF0gEWk~$(KGrHqUOKiMEwQ70HZ3QBMSztVlqQg~~_3.jpg
Posted By: HPMike

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 05:35 PM

Wow,,...Im surprised..

Usually when a post about TTI comes up, people camplain that it wasnt 50 bucks and didint jump out of the box and install itself.

Great stuff, very well made and excellent customer service.

MB

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 05:41 PM

Hey Jim,
Are you running tips or turn downs? Are those the 2” primary headers? Have you run into any ground clearance problems at the collectors or the adapter pipes? It does appear you may be running a little higher ride height than I am currently.

"Great stuff, very well made and excellent customer service."

Couldn't agree more.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 06:53 PM

For the tips my TTI tips DO have the hangers just like orig (71 b body) and that how the sold them to me back in 98. I cut the turndown part and just slipped them on with the supplied OEM type hangers and a band clamp on the pype. Do they not sell the tips with hangers welded on anymore??? I used there systems on both of my cars and they fit great. I really like the Ultraflow mufflers (for a bit more money).

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 07:01 PM

The 3” tip pictured above was purchased around 07-08’ from TTI, no integrated hanger tabs at that time.
Posted By: kbcuda

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 07:02 PM

I installed a 2.5 X pipe set up on my old duster in the driveway on my back...Took a lil tweaking to get the tips absolutely symmetrical, but that's just my fault for being picky. Friend just had new system with H-pipes from factory manifolds with magnaflows and paid almost $700.00. The muffler guy created a work of art, but for the money my next system will be TTI with the full mandrel bends and heavy duty hangers...
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 09:16 PM

so, let me get this right.. you cant use TTI exhaust with the original hangers at all? Id really like to utilize my original hangers if I can..
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 09:27 PM

I was very pleased with the TTI 2.5" setup I bought for my Superbee and it was easy to install and fit well....and for a '70 B body, I was able to reuse all the stock hangers and my tips exited in the factory location.

Dave

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 09:53 PM

Quote:

so, let me get this right.. you cant use TTI exhaust with the original hangers at all? Id really like to utilize my original hangers if I can..

What car , you have a B body and 2 a bodies listed in your sig?

If it's one of the A bodies don't waste the money, it doesn't utilize ANY of the stock hanger locations.

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 10:29 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure how you read that into any of my posts. The OP’s question was about a 72’ b-body specifically, I have only seen/installed the TTI 3” kit for that application, and it comes with heaver duty hanging hardware than any factory stuff I’ve seen. Originally, the 72’ b-body didn’t have a muffler hanger on the passenger side as the previous years had. The weight of the passenger side factory muffler, single or dual, was carried at hanger clamped to the tail pipe above the axle. TTI kit uses a HD hanger at the rear of both mufflers. Driver’s side factory dual exhaust had an additional hanger bracket bolted to the floor. The TTI kit comes with two of these brackets, again, heaver construction than original. The same tail pipes are used with and without their tips. Again a HD hanger similar to the factory design is used to support the tail pipe, mounted in the holes forward of where a tip hanger would be located, same location for a factory non-tip tail pipe hanger.

Here's the factory muffler hanger bracket for dual exhaust driver's side;

And a TTI bracket added to support the passenger side muffler;
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/15/12 11:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I’m not sure how you read that into any of my posts. The OP’s question was about a 72’ b-body specifically, I have only seen/installed the TTI 3” kit for that application, and it comes with heaver duty hanging hardware than any factory stuff I’ve seen. Originally, the 72’ b-body didn’t have a muffler hanger on the passenger side as the previous years had. The weight of the passenger side factory muffler, single or dual, was carried at hanger clamped to the tail pipe above the axle. TTI kit uses a HD hanger at the rear of both mufflers. Driver’s side factory dual exhaust had an additional hanger bracket bolted to the floor. The TTI kit comes with two of these brackets, again, heaver construction than original. The same tail pipes are used with and without their tips. Again a HD hanger similar to the factory design is used to support the tail pipe, mounted in the holes forward of where a tip hanger would be located, same location for a factory non-tip tail pipe hanger.

Here's the factory muffler hanger bracket for dual exhaust driver's side;

And a TTI bracket added to support the passenger side muffler;

I am talking about my 71 roadrunner. I wasn't aware of the muffler hanger not being there on the pass. side for 72. sorry for asking dumb questions, its just big money to spend and Id rather ask first.. carry on
Posted By: TB3CUDA

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/16/12 01:31 AM

thanks for the replys,i am looking at a partial kit on ebay,has everything but the mufflers for a fraction of the cost.it has a H pipe instead of the X pipe.2.5 for headers.missing one body muffler hanger.just wanted to make sure i dont have to do a bunch of mods to make it fit.also have the tti headers for a b-body 400.and already have the dual exhaust cut out valance and tips,my tips have the bracket attched so i will have to figure something on the tip/tail pipe hangers.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/16/12 04:11 AM

As stated before, fit, finish, and custmoer service is excellent. Have 1-7/8" TTI headers to 3" TTI X-pipe system to the back on '72 RR (orig. Calif exhaust, so turndowns). If you have a factory trans in there, should be a piece of cake. If it's an aftermarket trans (like mine and 72RoadRunnerGTX - namely Keisler Tremec), you might have to do some dorking around with it to make it fit the way you like.

In my case, I had to get different header collector adapters (from TTI - they make 'em for this reason, apparently) that exited the collectors at a different angle so they wouldn't pass too low under the trans/T-bar crossmember.

Attached picture 7208044-Front_to_back_final.jpg

Re: TTI exhaust systems.any good - 05/16/12 11:43 PM

Quote:

Hey Jim,
Are you running tips or turn downs? Are those the 2” primary headers? Have you run into any ground clearance problems at the collectors or the adapter pipes? It does appear you may be running a little higher ride height than I am currently.

"Great stuff, very well made and excellent customer service."

Couldn't agree more.

Im running turn downs and yes the headers are two inch...I love the looks of the factory tips..Best tip ever made for a muscle car IMO...Your car has been an inspiration to me as I followed your build on the roadrunnernest for a long time...I have touched the collectors on pavement a few times but only after a speedbump...The shackles and wheels are long gone but here is a pic of the backside..

Attached picture 7208991-!ByrvCH!!2k~$(KGrHqEOKiMEwO)!PwBfBMSztM)lJg~~_3.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums