Moparts

Brake issues - late model

Posted By: GTXKen

Brake issues - late model - 10/28/08 09:41 PM

I'm working on a 96 intrepid that I bought for my step son, 96 with a 3.5L 4 wheel disk antilonk brakes. I'm having problems diagnosing the problem.

Issue is:
The car stops but even with a great deal of pedal pressure the stopping distance is too long.
When stopping the ABS sometimes activates when it shouldn't be

What I've done:
Pulled the fuse on the ABS system and the car stops the same way but without the ABS activating.
Bled the brakes, no change.
Rotors and pads are in really good shape.

I think its the master but my question is this...
Can a bad master affect the ABS
Can an ABS problem cause a soft pedal
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Brake issues - late model - 10/28/08 10:29 PM

not sure if this is much help but i had a 97 concorde, non-abs, that never stopped good. i could almost push the pedal thru the floor and the car wouldn't stop. i pulled the calipers off at 60,000+ miles and the pads looked good. anyhow i changed the pads to a raybestos semi-metallic pad, turned the rotors and it was like a different car; the car would really stop!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brake issues - late model - 10/29/08 01:45 AM

booster
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Brake issues - late model - 10/29/08 02:00 AM

Quote:

not sure if this is much help but i had a 97 concorde, non-abs, that never stopped good. i could almost push the pedal thru the floor and the car wouldn't stop. i pulled the calipers off at 60,000+ miles and the pads looked good. anyhow i changed the pads to a raybestos semi-metallic pad, turned the rotors and it was like a different car; the car would really stop!

So, the rotors and drums are glazed?
Good to know, as my 2000 Caravan
does the same thing and the pads and shoes look fine. Guess it's time to do the brakes befor the snow flies.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Brake issues - late model - 10/29/08 12:55 PM

i think the issue for me was the factory pad material. i did the same change on a '03 neon with the same results. i'm not a pad expert but i think the factory pads were ceramic.

Re: Brake issues - late model - 10/29/08 02:33 PM

Quote:

I bought this car with 139K on the clock. Looks to me that the rotors, pads and maybe even the calipers are new or close to new. No glazing.

Re: Brake issues - late model - 10/29/08 02:37 PM

Quote:

booster

If its the booster couldn't I overcome the loss by applying more pressure on the pedal?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brake issues - late model - 10/29/08 02:52 PM

no, the faulty booster/check valve wont allow enough travel
© 2024 Moparts Forums