Moparts

subframe connector install issues A-body

Posted By: Moonraker

subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/06/12 04:41 AM

Getting ready to install the Mopar subframe connectore in the 74 Duster and have some fitment concerns when I mocked them up before welding.
#1 On the drivers side there is a rounded area by the emergency brake area on the frame that is rounded does this need to be notched out to get them to fit? #2 To get the backside part of the connector flush with the bottom part of the frame it seems to drop the front part of the connector and it doesnt line up. It seems I would have to weld the back part of the connector and then use a jack to bring the front part of the connector up to meet the frame... Has anyone else encountered these issues?

Can someone provide a pic of the Mopar subframe connectors on a 74 or similiar A-body to get a reference on what the prper install should look like? That would be great

Or any other suggesstions people can offer up...

Thanks
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/06/12 05:21 AM

Regarding #1: Yes... to have adequate clearance for the PARKING brake, you will need to either install thinner connectors or notch the taller ones for the cable to pass through. Check the picture below.
#2 The front and rear rails are NOT parallel. If you want the connectors to run in a straight line front the rear rails to the front, you WILL need to tack them at the rear and then pull the front end into position and weld.

Attached picture 7194219-DSCN1036.JPG

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/06/12 05:23 AM

These are the ones that I built for my brother in law's Duster. I used 3x3 .120 wall box tubing, cut to fit against the floor.

Attached picture 7194221-DSCN1035.JPG

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/06/12 05:28 AM

Another angle. You can see where it was cut down, I REboxed and welded to preserve strength.

Attached picture 7194229-DSCN1037.JPG
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/06/12 05:36 AM

Nice. For clearance on mine I just cut 3/4" steel tube in half and welded it the the area on the f-connector I cut out.

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/06/12 06:00 AM

Yeah... thats what I did as well.

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/08/12 07:55 PM

This is the same style as I have. Seems if I were to get the back frame rail and the subframe connector flush along the bottom I would have to cut the floor pans which I definitely dont want to do.

Attached picture 7197376-subframeconnectors.jpg

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/08/12 08:10 PM

In the pick the subframe connector has a 1/4 or so to go before its flush but I'm aready contacting the floor pan in the other area. Guess I could just leave it as is and just weld that 1/4" gap shut or just leave it open on that bottom edge

Attached picture 7197391-image2.JPG
Posted By: stumpy

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/08/12 08:27 PM

If I was doing this I would put a jack stand under the connector where it's hitting the floor and set the cars weight on it. That would form the floor to the shape of the connector. You could take a grinder to the connector and make it fit the floor. It looks like the floor has had some repair work done in that area and may not be the same shape as factory original.

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/08/12 08:40 PM

Quote:

If I was doing this I would put a jack stand under the connector where it's hitting the floor and set the cars weight on it. That would form the floor to the shape of the connector. You could take a grinder to the connector and make it fit the floor. It looks like the floor has had some repair work done in that area and may not be the same shape as factory original.

Well believe it or not thats not actually my car its another a-body from a mopar muscle mag that I used for reference since I'm at work its the only pic I could drum up . But thats exactly how mine looks without the floor pan mods in this pic.
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: subframe connector install issues A-body - 05/09/12 02:00 PM

It might not be a bad idea to put the jack stands under the control arms and the rear end. The car would be sitting on its sprung weight minimizing any flex that may occur sitting on the hard points.
© 2024 Moparts Forums